Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: When sh1t gets real

Yep, now's the perfect time to contact Dave n see if he wants a new drive. When he drove for Ford we all knew he was a good driver and certainly his stock has risen since he left, if u give him a good car he'll get results. But in saying that if Dave wants to be sc champion he probably does need to change a few things, like more sleep before race (that's if there's any truth to him only getting 4hrs of sleep the night before)
    Dave is responsible for everything outside his racing commitments so some blame does lay with him if the above is true but the major blame is the team particularly the engineer n team manager. I think everyone who was watching said that's a big mistake when they didn't change drivers at drink stop.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewforbes For This Useful Post:

project 064 (16th October 2018),Randel (16th October 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Perko View Post
    I am sorry but this is a shit statement. You can't blame the driver for his preparation and then say that media etc (thus affecting preparation) is part of the sport. It is the role of the manager to ensure that their charges are prepared for all events. If the story had come out that Barry had told Dave to forego media commitments etc and he ignored this then that is a different matter. I find it very hard to believe that the Bathurst week was not planned meticulously well in advance. Betty and Co would have been milking the media train for all it was worth. You can't then throw your driver under the bus for fatigue on the big day when the result doesn't go to plan. Sorry poor form and there should be a few people calling Dave over the next 24 hours, apologising, and hopefully explaining that statements were taken out of context. This sort of exposure can ruin team morale and culture very quickly. Not good for a small team.
    Yep.

In team sports when you single out individuals in such a public way for poor performances you create cracks in your culture.

Collectively you win and lose.

"We" messed up; no problems

"you" messed up; issue.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Elks (16th October 2018),Perko (16th October 2018),project 064 (16th October 2018),Randel (16th October 2018)

DR was talking on the TV during the days before Fri/Sat about his nerves and lack of sleep and that he was running the race in his head at 4.00 am.

The warning signs were there. That should have been enough info if nothing else to switch him out at that last stop. Luke was probably a certain P2 and an unlikely P1, but they chose to win it or bin it. Bin it they did.
    As a Pink Floyd fan I get mad when I see vegans eating pudding.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elks For This Useful Post:

4Vman (16th October 2018),Perko (16th October 2018),project 064 (16th October 2018),Randel (Yesterday)

Quote Originally Posted by Elks View Post
    DR was talking on the TV during the days before Fri/Sat about his nerves and lack of sleep and that he was running the race in his head at 4.00 am.

The warning signs were there. That should have been enough info if nothing else to switch him out at that last stop. Luke was probably a certain P2 and an unlikely P1, but they chose to win it or bin it. Bin it they did.
    Totally agree.

If the team have a position of self management so be it, but as a Manager you have to have a double redundant check system;

"if the driver falls outside of the acceptable standard for ABC this will happen" etc.

You're effectively compounding the mistake by watching it occur, over a number of days mind you, doing nothing, then finger pointing when it falls over.

As you say, the element of greatest risk was leave DR in, the most likely to yield the greatest reward, with an eye on the championship too, was a driver swap, at the scheduled stop, where it had the least amount of impact.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Perko (16th October 2018),project 064 (16th October 2018)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234