Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Ford Mustang Renders & Spy Shots

Thanks

2015 Ford Mustang Renders & Spy Shots

Sneak Peek: 2015 Ford Mustang
    The new global Mustang will be lighter, faster, and more economical, but say good-bye to retro!

From the December, 2011 issue of Popular Hot Rodding
    By Sam Haymart
    Illustrator: Sean Smith

The Ford Mustang has been a part of our automotive fabric for so long that itís hard to imagine a world without it. Itís become an iconic part of the muscle car realm with several generations of metal favored by several generations of fans. There were low points in its lineage, such as in the í70s and early í80s, and there have been many high watermarks, such as today.

Thereís no doubt among Ford enthusiasts that the current Mustang is arguably the best of the breed in terms of quality, handling, and technical savvy, and you have a world-class engine lineup, the highest efficiency, and one of the best chassis to ever underpin the Mustang.

The current breed also has its downsides, as itís the most expensive and heaviest Mustang ever. And itís no longer the entry-level bargain basement car that once appealed to the masses back in the í60s. It has become more upmarket, more equipped, and has a price point closer to some European performance coupes.

In looking to redesign the next-generation ponycar, many converging forces have the 2015 Mustang facing a major crossroads. Itís racing quickly toward a swiftly rolling freight train of high gas prices, skyrocketing new government fuel mileage regulations, and a much more challenging global marketplace. Today it has a new Chevy Camaro to win against, new V-8 muscle cars coming from Korea to fend off, and now meets the Japanese sports cars face to face.

The Mustang is being redesigned at this moment, and is facing just as drastic a headwind as it did when Ford changed the game with the Mustang II in 1974. Let that sink in for a moment as you are told that the next-generation Mustang is being loosely termed the Mustang III within the halls of Dearborn, Michigan.

While that may send shivers down the spines of some, the good news is that today we have the technology. Best of all, the performance-minded gearheads in Dearborn have the will to meet tomorrowís new regulations and market forces without turning the current stallion into a wheezing little gelding as was the case with the Mustang II.

What must be reckoned with is that todayís Mustang is heavier and larger than itís ever been. The 2012 Mustang weighs about 100 pounds more and is virtually identical in size to the big-body í73 Mustang once widely considered to be a fat pig. The next-generation Mustang will need to shed some weight, lose some girth, and get a lot more efficient for a great many reasons.

The biggest force affecting the design and fate of the 2015 Mustang will be the newly minted Federal Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) requirements. This summer, the Obama Administration drastically raised the target for the required average fuel economy rating to a stratospheric 56.2 mpg by 2025. This will change the performance car landscape as we know it, and hopefully not as we saw in the 1970s.

This means that the full fleet of vehicles Ford builds, from the Fiesta to fullsize F-Series trucks, must provide fuel mileage figures that average 56.2 mpg. So for every truck or muscle car that might only achieve 30-35 mpg, Ford will have to sell an equivalent number of vehicles that can get 75-80 mpg to meet the government-mandated average.

If your mouth is wide open, you are getting it. We donít have fullsize trucks, let alone Shelby GT-500s, that can get 30-35 mpg today, and certainly not the small cars that get 75-80 mpg to offset them. What this means for Mustang is that it must reach never-before-seen levels of efficiency in just the next 10 years to simply exist, let alone push us back in the seat with 550 hp.

As the 2015 Mustang will likely have a lifespan that reaches to 2025, it will need to be much lighter, smaller, and have much more efficient engines. Ford is seeking to shave at least 200-300 pounds from the current carís 3,600-pound curb weight. This will come partially with downsizing, but mostly from use of lighter materials in the body structure and chassis components. Look for more aluminum and use of high-strength steels.

Read more: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...#ixzz1nOe9DXct

Thanks
    I am not going to address drivetrains as well all know that Ford has some very promising goodies coming up in the future that will deliver the power and performance that is required by this market without upsetting the bean counters and tail pipe sniffers.

Equipment levels are a bit of a catch 22, we all want as much tech as we can get, more computing power than was required to put a man on the moon yet we want it all to weigh nothing, easy to please aren't we? Lets be real, the Mustang is not a ferrari, nor is it aimed at a ferrari market, if you want ferrari tech and performance, well pay for it.

A mustang is about presence, wow factor and the ability to have red blooded males doing tent impersonations in their trousers, girls calling shotgun and fathers wanting to lock up their daughters, it is about style. American muscle style!

To me the mustang is one of the few cars in the world that has reached icon status, along with the Mini, the camaro etc. The present mustang hit the styling nail on the head, instantly recognisable as a mustang yet modern, a masterpiece and what the mustang should have always been. The styling of this new one I am not so sure on. Sure it looks great but perhaps a bit too much euro and not enough american pony car.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

Thanks
    Very good points, Lynton. But what would you think if it looked something like the Evos, but a little more aggressive.

Thanks
    I'll add this chop from Nikked in here for a couple of reasons. 1, it looks awesome, and 2, latest news is the next Mustang may actually look like something that resembles this as there's reference made to Aston, which this chop is actually based off. So, so far out of the hundreds of chops out there of the next gen Mustang, this is the closest... Well done on a top chop.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikked

Thanks
    Agree Lynton very much - the current Snake etc is all braun style modern into the old mould !
    If they weren't so much I'd have one in a flash, the above and Nikes are too euro virtually Aston front heck I'll buy a Vantage instead in that case.
    Daily - Black HiLux SR5 4x4 - Tuff Dog 2" lift kit - Narva HID's - 22" bling wheels.
    Moth Balled - Blueprint T3

Thanks
    Have to agree, the new one is just a bit too "soft". The current mustang punches you in the head, while the sneak peak version massages your face with a deep cleanser. Just not tough enough..
    It would be a shame if thats what it actually turned out like.

Thanks

So long and thanks for all the fish flappist's Avatar
    Thanks
    It needs a wash

Other than that the Mustang looks pretty good, I wonder if it will become truly global.
    The right to arm bears

Thanks
    Thanked 1,142 Times in 703 Posts
    Looks good, something isn't right. Can't put my finger on it.
    ďOnce upon a time I had an open point of view, But that was just so long ago
    Before I had a clue, Was there such a time where I didn't stand alone?
    Was there ever a time And how would I of knownĒ

Thanks
    Are the doors too long?