PDA

View Full Version : Dick Johnson's 1980 "rock" XD.

4Vman
14th November 2012, 09:07 PM
There's a rumour floating around this car has been found and undergoing a full resto? Has anyone else heard this?

project 064
14th November 2012, 09:14 PM
There's a rumour floating around this car has been found and undergoing a full resto? Has anyone else heard this?
Gee Norm, that is a massive undertaking, if it's true & does eventuate, the restorers deserve a couple of gallons of Beam!!!:cool:

TS50
14th November 2012, 09:15 PM
1980:
Moffat yellow "federation insurance" XD, #1. Still alive. Owned by the Bowden’s.
Morris green/white/black "breville" XD, #7. Still alive, and raced in historic group c by Craig Harris.
Willmington blue "austral hardware" XD, #8. The very 1st XD ever raced. Still alive, in Tasmania.
Johnson blue "tru blu" XD, #17. (hit the rock). Still alive in a very private collection.
Carter blue "phase 5" XD, #18. I've been told very recently this car has been found, and will undergo a full resto.
Gibson green "king george tavern" XD, #20. Dead, written off at Bathurst, 1981.
Keogh black "AAE" XD, #22. Still alive, and raced in historic group c by John Mina.
Muir camo "army reserve" XD, #24. Still alive, and raced in historic group c by Frank Binding.

4Vman
14th November 2012, 09:19 PM
Ah cool, Alf Grant raced it at some stage after 82 from memory?, it would be awesome to see it again. If its in a Very private collection it sounds unlikely though.. :-(

TS50
14th November 2012, 09:24 PM
Rock 17 became car 15 /29 /47 from 1981- 1984
Red and raced by John Donally

Alf Grant raced Tru Blu II the 1981 Winning car

The original XD exists in QLD - unlikely to ever to return with a COD or Log Book from its Bathurst day unless the rules change for authenticity.

HSE2
15th November 2012, 12:12 AM
Go slow,go slow,go slow. I am impressed mate.

4Vman
15th November 2012, 06:04 AM
Rock 17 became car 15 /29 /47 from 1981- 1984
Red and raced by John Donally

Alf Grant raced Tru Blu II the 1981 Winning car

The original XD exists in QLD - unlikely to ever to return with a COD or Log Book from its Bathurst day unless the rules change for authenticity.
I wonder why it wont get a COD????

TS50
15th November 2012, 06:40 AM
It Doesnt make sense to me either Norm
Will have to research more, to see if something happened to it in Donallys hands

4Vman
15th November 2012, 07:03 AM
It Doesnt make sense to me either Norm
Will have to research more, to see if something happened to it in Donallys hands
Hmm.. sounds like something might have happened to it which makes it hard to authenticate.... might also explain why its in a "Very" private collection away from inquisitive eyes..?

FTe217
15th November 2012, 07:47 AM
go slow,go slow,go slow. I am impressed mate.

+1 lol....;)

Jaded Old Coot
16th November 2013, 06:12 PM
It wouldn't get a COD as the "Rock" car, as DJ continued to use the original logbook on the 1981 car, listing it as reshelled. It's a similar tale to the saga of the 1980 HDT winner, which was sold to Clive Benson-Brown and reshelled after Bathurst 1981. The shell seems to be the primary reference in determining a car's provenance, and that shell didn't win Bathurst in 1980.

Similarly, the 1981 Tru Blu car is definitely a different car from the 1980 one, but despite a logbook that says otherwise, to represent it as the "Rock" car would be incorrect. The Donnelly car certainly was the shell that led for 17 laps in 1980 and hit the rock, but technically it didn't exist prior to Donnelly's logbook application for 1981, after rebuilding it from the steaming heap he got off DJ.

Similarly, I believe that the Greens Tuf XE in the Bowden collection - built from a "body in white" in the same way Trub Blu Mk 2 was - has a logbook that claims it first raced in 1982, as the Tru Blu/Red Roo XE. One of the silly things that happen because of beaurocratic process, but that's how it is.

In any case, as it was explained to me a decade ago, the ex-Johnson Rock car, built into the red Donnelly car still exists, in a dilapidated condition, with no firm plans to either sell or restore, despite numerous offers.

-------------

4Vman
16th November 2013, 06:22 PM
It wouldn't get a COD as the "Rock" car, as DJ continued to use the original logbook on the 1981 car, listing it as reshelled. It's a similar tale to the saga of the 1980 HDT winner, which was sold to Clive Benson-Brown and reshelled after Bathurst 1981. The shell seems to be the primary reference in determining a car's provenance, and that shell didn't win Bathurst in 1980.

Similarly, the 1981 Tru Blu car is definitely a different car from the 1980 one, but despite a logbook that says otherwise, to represent it as the "Rock" car would be incorrect. The Donnelly car certainly was the shell that led for 17 laps in 1980 and hit the rock, but technically it didn't exist prior to Donnelly's logbook application for 1981, after rebuilding it from the steaming heap he got off DJ.

Similarly, I believe that the Greens Tuf XE in the Bowden collection - built from a "body in white" in the same way Trub Blu Mk 2 was - has a logbook that claims it first raced in 1982, as the Tru Blu/Red Roo XE. One of the silly things that happen because of beaurocratic process, but that's how it is.

In any case, as it was explained to me a decade ago, the ex-Johnson Rock car, built into the red Donnelly car still exists, in a dilapidated condition, with no firm plans to either sell or restore, despite numerous offers.

-------------

Thanks for the info, yes the way log books were used has created some dilemmas for history buffs and collectors, Technically "Greens Tuf" no longer exists anyway, the rebuilt Green car had "Palmer Tue Mills" writting.

Jaded Old Coot
16th November 2013, 06:27 PM
It was signwritten with "Greens-Tuf" for the ATCC IIRC ;) but changed to Palmer Tube Mills for the enduros.

You're right about the heartache involved with logbooks and COD's, but at least CAMS have prevented the situation that exists with historic racing cars in Europre, where some less than scrupulous people have had their claims of provenance upheld against a particular chassis number on the basis that it was "rebuilt" around one genuine suspension wishbone or some such...

At least here, if a car is allowed to compete in historic Group C/A, you can be pretty sure that it's genuine, although Paul Stubber's Rx-7 stretched things more than a bit... on the downside, it's a little sad that it excludes some cars with a legitimate claim to particular episodes in history...

4Vman
16th November 2013, 06:32 PM
Lets not mention Moffs Mustang then...... LOL