PDA

View Full Version : Focus RS to get 350 hp

HSE2
7th November 2012, 06:43 AM
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/focus/60994/focus-rs-get-350bhp

The next-generation Ford Focus RS will get a new 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine when it arrives in 2014

Ford is set to up the ante on its next-generation Focus RS. Power is likely to come from a newly developed 2.3-litre four-cylinder EcoBoost engine – which could also power the 2015 Mustang – producing as much as 350bhp sent though a manual gearbox. That’s over 100bhp more than the new Focus ST and will drop the 0-60mph time below the magic five-second mark.

Ford’s European performance division, Team RS, has ruled out developing the 247bhp 2.0-litre EcoBoost from the new ST, as an increase in power would mean making the turbo bigger – and there’s a reluctance to do this.

“If it’s too big and capable of too much power, you lose bottom- end torque and response,” said Team RS powertrain engineering manager Len Urwin.

The RS will send power to the front wheels, as on the previous model. That made 300bhp from its five-cylinder turbo engine, but this time the RS could use a clever active limited slip differential – a so-called E-diff.

Said Unwin: “You could drop a mechanical diff in as we did with the old Focus RS, but an E-diff would take that a step forward in that you can really optimise traction in all situations.”

A manual is a certainty, but Ford is debating whether to also offer a dual-clutch auto version using its PowerShift technology. “There is a trend to go to dual clutch, but they are heavier,” said Chris Caven, calibration controls engineer at Team RS. “Whether we should have a manual and a PowerShift is still up for debate.”

With the price set to be around the same £25,000 mark as the last model, the stage is set for the new RS to humble performance cars costing twice its price when it arrives in early 2014.

Falc'man
7th November 2012, 07:57 PM
Dual clutch would be great, it would easily offset the extra weight.

Sub 5s.... bloody fast for a hatch.

And that motor... I wonder if it'll see it's way into the Falcon. If the I6 goes I'd rather this than the atmo V6.

bouka
9th November 2012, 07:12 PM
Lots of different info about motor specs at the moment but all seem to agree on 260kw.

Sounds sensational. Has a hot hatch as second car (corolla sx 4age) and it was lots of fun. First car was Holden v8.

Brother has a tuned golf r and it is heaps of fun.

This and AMG a25 sound very tempting.

Falc'man
11th November 2012, 08:47 PM
If Ford can't efficiently put 350hp down to the ground with this E-diff then I think they're going about this the wrong way. Too much power at the front wheels doesn't win cred with the likes of Renault showing the world how it's done with much less power. The RS should be focusing on outright handling without overwhelming the front tyres with a mountain of torque. The previous RS at 320hp was more powerful but still slower (from memory) around a circuit than the Renault.

Ford should put more bias towards handling or consider AWD. The next gen Focus will be substantially lighter so hopefully AWD can be considered.

HSE2
12th November 2012, 09:30 AM
I think this is probably an inevitability in the way forward for volume performance, but to not sound like a stuck record, I don't get it.

I really liked the last RS they imported. In fact I was offered the chance to change my order but I stuck with supporting the locals at FPV.
I just think these sorts of cars has to be AWD. They know there is a problem with this amount of power so they stick a bandaid on it.

This to me is where one ford falls down a bit. It should be a global car by rights so that means more volume to justify the cost of development.

They stuff around with AWD in large cars for performance when they could have saved weigh complexity and money with sticking with RWD.

That aside and the appearance of the latest Focus of which I am still not convinced; its a product that appeals to me to replace the XR but under protest would I be accepting FWD in a hero car like this.
ST , ok no problem. RS get serious about things Ford. You have Ken Block in the house, lets capitalise on it.

Falc'man
14th November 2012, 08:10 PM
That's a very good point and I think the only reason for this that comes to mind is to save dollars. Or, the extra changes required to cater for AWD may mean additional weight gains to even the FWD product? Not saying that is the case but it's highly possible. If that is the reason then they've favoured less weight in the base models to achieve better economy, over having the advantage of an AWD system in the hi-performance model.

Now from an official standpoint that wouldn't sound too good when promoting the RS and people ask why no AWD... and so the sugar-coating has come out and hence official statement re no AWD. And hence the contradiction you've highlighted.

The Taurus is a heavy vehicle in AWD mode - too heavy, in fact. Originally it's platform wasn't capable of handling the power of EcoBoost; the extra weight came not from the AWD system itself but from the reinforcements required to withstand the twist. The next Taurus is the same platform as Fusion, maybe longer, maybe wider. Which brings me to something discussed in the your other thread where John was curious as to why there was quite a difference in weight between the Mazda 6 and Mondeo/Fusion. In light of all the above I'd say that the Mazda 6 doesn't require the extra attention (and weight) as it's not designed to take AWD, nor is it designed take the power of a 3.5 Ecoboost (next gen Taurus).

All guesswork on my part, but if you add it all up then Focus would in fact have added weight to the base model if were designed for AWD, and that's the sacrifice Ford has made.

All the above is redundant and void considering the extra work that goes into the Mitsubishi EVO chassis over the standard Lancer chassis. If Mitsubishi can do it then so can Ford. Ford shouldn't have the RS stuck between not having a super razor sharp FWD chassis that won't torque steer (meaning less power), and, too much power that cannot be harnessed correctly so that it gets done by a car named after a girls magazine.

Like you said, volume's the key here and even if it means having AWD on the ST to take up that volume the RS would be so much better for it.

Lynton
27th December 2012, 06:32 AM
http://www.caradvice.com.au/199906/ford-focus-rs-hot-hatch-to-get-250kw-turbo-four-cylinder-report/

Interesting comment about not increasing the output of the 2L from the ST due to the requirement for a larger turbo and therefore more lag,