PDA

View Full Version : Motogp 2012 on.....

FTe217
25th January 2012, 03:32 PM
There must be some interest for the premium 2wheeled racing especially that we have the current WC Casey Stoner.
I have been an avid follower since Gardner days and I love watching these madmen go for it.
For thos that don't know "parity" or lets say dumb down racing is starting to be introduced for the first time to get costs down being grids got down to 12-14 riders and less Factories involved.
In time I will post more info for those happy to learn more.

FIM Announces 9 MotoGP Claiming Rule Teams for 2012 Utilizing Modified Superbike Motors from Honda, BMW, Aprilia and Kawasaki; Big Rule Changes Expected for 2013

CEO of Dorna Sports, Carmelo Ezpeleta

A “provisional” list of 21 MotoGP riders and teams has been issued by the FIM for the 2012 series. Among those entries are 9 CRT teams utilizing modified superbike motors from Japanese manufacturers Honda and Kawasaki, as well as Italian manufacturer Aprilia and German manufacturer BMW. There are some very talented riders on CRT bikes this year, including experienced MotoGP pilots Randy De Puniet and Alex Espargaro (powered by Aprilia), as well as Colin Edwards (powered by BMW). The CRT engines, of course, have tuning advantages in that they do not have to last as long (CRT teams have twice as many engines available to them during the year) and can burn more fuel than factory bikes. This should make for some interesting racing.

CEO of Dorna Sports, Carmelo Ezpeleta, indicated that the 2013 series will see further, significant rule changes, possibly including a “spec ECU” which must be run by all bikes or a rev limit in a further effort to reduce costs and equalize performance. Announcement of the formal rules for the 2013 championship is still several months away.

The provisional list is as follows:

1 CASEY STONER AUS – HONDA TEAM, HONDA
4 ANDREA DOVIZIOSO ITA – YAMAHA TECH 3, YAMAHA
5 COLIN EDWARDS USA – FORWARD RACING, SUTER*
6 STEFAN BRADL GER – LCR HONDA MotoGP, HONDA
8 HECTOR BARBERA SPA – PRAMAC RACING TEAM, DUCATI
9 DANILO PETRUCCI ITA – IODA RACING PROJECT, IODA*
11 BEN SPIES USA – YAMAHA FACTORY RACING, YAMAHA
13 ANTHONY WEST AUS – SPEED MASTER, ART*
14 RANDY DE PUNIET FRA – ASPAR TEAM MotoGP, ART*
17 KAREL ABRAHAM CZE – CARDION AB MOTORACING, DUCATI
19 ALVARO BAUTISTA SPA – HONDA GRESINI, HONDA
20 ALEIX ESPARGARO SPA – ASPAR TEAM MotoGP, ART*
22 IVAN SILVA SPA – BQR, BQR-FTR*
26 DANI PEDROSA SPA – HONDA TEAM, HONDA
35 CAL CRUTCHLOW GBR – YAMAHA TECH 3, YAMAHA
46 VALENTINO ROSSI ITA – DUCATI TEAM, DUCATI
51 MICHELE PIRRO ITA – HONDA GRESINI, FTR*
68 YONNY HERNANDEZ COL – BQR, BQR-FTR*
69 NICKY HAYDEN USA – DUCATI TEAM, DUCATI
77 JAMES ELLISON GBR – PAUL BIRD RACING, ART*
99 JORGE LORENZO SPA – YAMAHA FACTORY RACING, YAMAHA

*CRT

FTe217
25th January 2012, 03:35 PM
Casey sure stirred the pot with these comments going back a little while ago......quite a few of the other factory riders feel the same but would be too scared to air the views whereas our CS tells it how it is.

Casey Stoner Honda 2011 Czech GRand PrixMotoGP world champion Casey Stoner has warned he will have little interest in staying in the championship if the regulations are steered more towards production-based machinery.

Series promoter Dorna is heavily pushing the new Claiming Rule Teams system, which allows elements of modified production machinery.

In addition to several new teams stepping up to MotoGP next year under the CRT regulation, a number of current satellite squads are expected to ditch their pure prototypes to run CRT bikes, amid suggestions that the system could form the basis of MotoGP’s future.

But Stoner said he felt a move too far towards a lower-technology formula would be the wrong choice for MotoGP.

“I think if we kill prototypes then we may as well be racing touring cars,” he said. “It’s no different to this. It’ll definitely take everything out of the racing for me.

“I won’t find the same interest to the point where you can maybe get a street bike, put a different chassis on it, a bit of suspension and this and that, and have a competitive bike.

“This [prototype rules] is the way it’s been for so many years. There have been a few things recently about costs, which have definitely increased, and the amount of personnel needed to run these bikes. They’re definitely more complicated than the old 500cc.

“But if it does change like that [to more production-based rules] then it’s definitely going to be disappointing for me and I don’t know if I’d want to be a part of it.”

Yamaha’s Ben Spies said he was also concerned about the prospects of a CRT-based future for the championship, though he acknowledged that the global financial system might force radical change.

“The way the economy’s going, I hope I have a job in 2013, so I’m not worried about a CRT bike right now, that’s for sure,” he said. “But I’m not the biggest fan of it.”

HSE2
25th January 2012, 04:16 PM
Interesting comments.

HSE2
31st January 2012, 01:00 PM
Testing underway in Sepang

HSE2
31st January 2012, 02:59 PM
http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/season/2012/Pre#Valentino+Rossi+1st+pitout+with+the+GP12

Not much I know but you can feel it coming! :cool:

FTe217
31st January 2012, 03:00 PM
yep sure is.....

Repsol Honda Team presentation in Malaysia
Honda presentation in sepang
Monday, 30 January 2012
The Repsol Honda Team, 2011 Triple Crown Champions, hosted the media at a Team Presentation in the Pan Pacific Hotel in Kuala Lumpur tonight with a press conference and welcome party.

After the winter break, team riders Casey Stoner and Dani Pedrosa returned to the media spotlight refreshed and eager to start the new season. Alongside them were HRC team bosses, Shuhei Nakamoto (HRC Executive Vice President), Hideki Iwano (Director, Assistant to Team Principal), Shinichi Kokubu (Technical Director) and Livio Suppo (Communications and Marketing Director). This was also the first opportunity for the media to see the new RC213V bike complete with 2011 World Champion, Casey Stoner's number '1' emblazoned on the front.

The team arrived in Malaysia on Saturday and returned to the Sepang track on Sunday for the first time since Marco Simoncelli's tragic accident in the race on 23rd October. As a mark of respect, the whole team visited the corner where Marco lost his life, laid a wreath of flowers and held a minutes silence.

This season the MotoGP world returns to 1000cc bikes and HRC head into the 2012 season determined to retain the World Championship.

Casey Stoner:
"The off season has been really good, we got to go back home and spend some time with family and friends in Australia over Christmas which was great. Then we came back to Switzerland to get everything in order for the baby's arrival, Adriana's due in just a few weeks and so we've been preparing, as best possible!

After such a strong season in 2011, we remain focused and don't expect to be in top form immediately. I am sure Honda have done a fantastic job with the new 1000cc machine over the winter break and I'm really looking forward to getting back on the bike and seeing what we can do, hoping to start strong again. We know there will be a lot of serious competition out there, Ducati have been putting a lot of effort in as have Yamaha so it will be interesting to get out on track and see what everyone's got. However, it's early days and I think we'll have to wait until the race in Qatar before we really know our competitors true pace and the package they have for 2012, but we're ready for it."

Dani Pedrosa:
"It's nice to be back with the team for the first Sepang test. I'm really excited to get on the bike again after the test we did in Valencia in November. Sepang is a good track for testing and we have still many things to discover out about the new bike. It's been a long time since we were last riding and at the first test it's always important to get the feeling back, the first sensations. We will have three long days here to work with the team and HRC and it's necessary to be very focused in order to get good information to move forward for the second test. I guess the main target in this test will be to know the bike and the new Bridgestone tyres."

Shuhei Nakamoto - HRC Executive Vice President:
"We start this new 2012 season with a clear target: to work stronger than ever to defend our MotoGP World titles in this new 1000cc category. We finished the 800cc era winning the triple crown and we will fight to win this again in 2012. We fully trust in our riders Casey Stoner and Dani Pedrosa to deliver this big challenge and we will give them all our technical and human support.

The RC213V is an evolution of the last version of the RC212V based on the same concept. The machines we have brought here to Sepang are basically the same machines we tested in Valencia back in November with only a few differences. In fact, Casey and Dani will have one machine the same as Valencia, and the other one with a slightly different chassis, based on their own requests. This is the first time back to Sepang since we lost Marco Simoncelli last October, on Sunday we visited the scene of his accident and laid some flowers and said a final 'Ciao' to him. I believe by starting this season strong will be a fitting tribute to Marco."

FTe217
31st January 2012, 03:09 PM
Jlo fastest so far with a 2'03'044
Spies .6 back
Rossi 1 sec behind them.

Awaiting more times......
Make or break for Duke and Rossi - manymany changes to how the Vengine is mounted to the frame, going to be an interesting 2-3days testing but everything won't be exposed with everyone around.
I'll update whenever I can .

FTe217
31st January 2012, 03:40 PM
Sepang MotoGP test times - Tuesday 1pm

1. Valentino Rossi ITA Ducati Team 2m 2.905s (12 laps)
2. Ben Spies USA Yamaha Factory Racing 2m 2.930s (10)
3. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha Factory Racing 2m 3.044s (7)
4. Alvaro Bautista ESP San Carlo Honda Gresini 2m 4.110s (7)
5. Katsuyuki Nakasuga JPN Yamaha Test Rider 2m 4.577s (6)
6. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda 2m 4.971s (11)
7. Casey Stoner AUS Repsol Honda 2m 7.163s (2)
8. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2m 8.375s (4)
9. Cal Crutchlow GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2m 10.993s (1)
10. Ivan Silva ESP BQR (FTR-Kawasaki CRT) 2m 11.280s (10)
11. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Team 2m 11.759s (3)
12. Stefan Bradl GER LCR Honda 2m 11.887s (1)
13. Karel Abraham CZE Cardion AB Motoracing 2m 15.563s (1)
14. Jordi Torres ESP BQR (FTR-Kawasaki CRT) 2m 16.565s (5)
15. Hector Barbera ESP Pramac Racing 2m 17.372s (1)

times still way off.... must be still damp out there and alot of sandbagging LOL......

FTe217
1st February 2012, 02:08 PM
Still early days - teams not jumping out on the track clocking up many laps.
Stoner had some back muscle pain whilst streching would you believe hence his low times and not many laps yesterday, hopefully he gets back on strong the next day or 2.
Some times just done.
Lorenzo J.2:01.144
Spies B.+0.221
Pedrosa D.+0.494
Crutchlow C.+0.566
Stoner C.+0.667
Bautista A.+1.018
Hayden N.+1.210
Rossi V.+1.256
Dovizioso A.+1.362
Barbera H.+1.453
Bradl S.+1.777'
Abraham K.+1.906
Nakasuga K.+2.221

FTe217
1st February 2012, 02:26 PM
Spies to the top

Pos Rider Team Fastest lap Prev. Gap Lead. Gap Laps 1 Ben Spies 2:01.052 - - 19 2 Jorge Lorenzo 2:01.144 +0.092 +0.092 15 3 Casey Stoner 2:01.245 +0.101 +0.193 11 4 Dani Pedrosa 2:01.638 +0.393 +0.586 9 5 Cal Crutchlow 2:01.710 +0.072 +0.658 15 6 Alvaro Bautista 2:02.130 +0.420 +1.078 12 7 Nicky Hayden 2:02.354 +0.224 +1.302 14 8 Valentino Rossi 2:02.400 +0.046 +1.348 15 9 Stefan Bradl 2:02.414 +0.014 +1.362 12 10 Andrea Dovizioso 2:02.506 +0.092 +1.454 13 11 Hector Barbera 2:02.597 +0.091 +1.545 16 12 Karel Abraham 2:03.050 +0.453 +1.998 27 13 Katsuyuki Nakasuga 2:03.323 +0.273 +2.271 13 14 Franco Bataini 2:04.663 +1.340 +3.611 16 15 Colin Edwards 2:07.778 +3.115 +6.726 8 16 Ivan Silva 2:11.734 +3.956 +10.682 5 17 Robertino Pietri 2:12.546 +0.812 +11.494 5

FTe217
1st February 2012, 09:51 PM
* 1 Stoner.2:00.895
* 2 Spies.+0.157
* 3 Lorenzo.+0.173
* 4 Pedrosa.+0.613
* 5 Crutchlow.+0.670
* 6 Barbera.+0.893
* 7 Rossi.+0.991
* 8 Bautista.+1.038
* 9 Dovizioso.+1.265
* 10 Hayden.+1.459

FTe217
2nd February 2012, 09:03 PM
Update of Day 2

Reigning MotoGP Champion Casey Stoner got back out on track, and back on top of the timesheets, during the second day of testing at the Sepang circuit. Factory Yamaha duo of Ben Spies and Jorge Lorenzo followed the Repsol Honda rider, within two tenths of the leader. Continuing his work with the redesigned GP12, Valentino Rossi was seventh-fastest on the day almost a full second off the leader’s pace.

Stoner returned to action after having back troubles during Day 1, the two-time champ taking some painkillers to get back on the bike. The Australian worked on chassis comparison with his two RC213V, setting his 2’00.895 best on Lap 19 of 29. Dani Pedrosa was sixth tenths slower than his Repsol teammate, fourth-fastest behind the Factory Yamahas.

As for Spies and Lorenzo, the M1 riders tinkered with electronics and power delivery on Day 2. Both riders cut their lap times down from Day 1 – Spies hacking off a full second. Satellite Yamaha rider Cal Crutchlow put in another top-five result – a half-second behind the factory boys. The second Tech 3 rider, Andrea Dovizioso, was more than a second back in ninth.

Pramac Racing’s Hector Barbera proved the fastest Ducati on the day, sixth-fastest overall and a tenth quicker than Rossi. The Doctor managed to lap just within a second of Stoner’s time, the nine-time world champ turning 44 laps on the revamped GP12. Rossi professed positive steps moving forward, though noted “as we progress with our tests we also find other details that can’t be addressed with setup alone and that will therefore have to be perfected in the coming weeks.”

Rossi will have to shoulder most of the testing load at Sepang as teammate Nicky Hayden continues to struggle with his shoulder, injured in the off-season during a flat track training accident. Hayden, usually a work horse during tests, completed only 16 laps on Day 2 and finished 10th on the timesheet.

New Honda riders Alvaro Bautista (San Carlo Gresini) and Stefan Bradl (LCR) were a respective eighth- and 11th-fastest. Cardion AB’s Karel Abraham proved the slowest of the non-CRT riders in 12th, placing just ahead of factory test riders Katsuyuki Nakasuga (Yamaha) and Franco Battaini (Ducati).

Colin Edwards once again headed the CRT field. The GP veteran says the team is working on eliminating chatter, as well as sorting out electronics. While still 4.7 seconds off Stoner’s best, the Forward Racing effort lopped off more than 2.5 seconds from Day 1.

The Avintia Racing trio of Ivan Silva, Jordi Torres and Robertino Pietri couldn’t make any headway. In fact, the Avintia bikes are further from Edwards, than Edwards is from the non-CRT mounts.

2012 MotoGP Sepang Test Day 2:
1. Casey Stoner (Honda) Team 2'00.895
2. Ben Spies (Yamaha) 2'01.052
3. Jorge Lorenzo (Yamaha) 2'01.068
4. Dani Pedrosa (Honda) 2'01.508
5. Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha) 2'01.565
6. Hector Barbera (Ducati) 2'01.788
7. Valentino Rossi (Ducati) 2'01.886
8. Alvaro Bautista (Honda) 2'01.933
9. Andrea Dovizioso (Yamaha) 2'02.160
10. Nicky Hayden (Ducati) 2'02.354
11. Stefan Bradl (Honda) 2'02.414
12. Karel Abraham (Ducati) 2'02.598
13. Katsuyuki Nakasuga (Yamaha) 2'02.941
14. Franco Battaini (Ducati) 2'04.311
15. Colin Edwards (Forward) 2'05.603
16. Ivan Silva (Avintia) 2'10.297
17. Jordi Torres (Avintia) 2'11.893
18. Robertino Pietri (Avintia) 2'12.546

RIDER QUOTES (Courtesy of Team PR)

Casey Stoner – Repsol Honda – 1st – 29 laps: "It was great to be able to ride today and everything went pretty well, although I would have liked to have done a few more laps. We spent most of the day on the new chassis comparing it back to back with the one we had in Valencia and we found a good direction and where we want to go. As usual it would be great to take some elements from one chassis and some from the other, but at least we found the direction we are happy to follow.

"We used the hard front tire this afternoon but found we had more chattering with it so we have to work on this, there is still room for improvement. We didn't get a chance to use the new spec tires that Bridgestone have brought here, we'll try them out tomorrow and go from there".

Ben Spies – Yamaha Factory – 2nd – 37 laps: “We got going pretty well in the morning, then even when the track started to slow down the pace was still really good. We started to mess with the balance of the bike a little today and played with the electronics to find a good foundation with the bike. At Valencia we compared some stuff and got in the right direction. Now we’re here and taking the next step, trying some things to see how it affects the set up. There’s definitely some room for improvement and some areas we’re not struggling with at all.”

Jorge Lorenzo – Yamaha Factory – 3rd – 40 laps: “Today I was much more tired than yesterday so it was tough to finish with a good pace but we managed it. We didn’t find any big improvements but some small details. Tomorrow we hope to make one big step. We improved our lap times a lot in the morning but in the afternoon when it was even hotter we managed to go faster which is very positive.”

Dani Pedrosa – Repsol Honda – 4th – 35 laps: "Today we started to work well from the beginning; the track conditions were better than yesterday and it was hotter out there. We've been working on the setting of the bike, focusing mainly on the braking and reducing chatter, to improve the stability on the entry of the corners, that's our main target right now. We made some comparisons between the two chassis' and we will keep working with the bike and see what can we do before choosing.

"We have one more day, so we'll try some other things with the shocks, this could help, and also different tire pressures, we will see. I didn't do many laps during the day, but now it's time to test as much as possible and sometimes you have to spend more time in the garage, it's normal. The new Bridgestone tires are working ok, I just tried one hard on the rear but I didn't have much grip and the soft ones are working better, even for the endurance they don't look so bad".

Valentino Rossi – Marlboro Ducati – 7th – 44 laps: “It was another positive day, both because we achieved our goal of lapping at 2:01 and because we managed to make further progress with the bike’s setup. On the other hand, as is normal with a brand-new bike like the GP12, as we progress with our tests we also find other details that can’t be addressed with setup alone and that will therefore have to be perfected in the coming weeks. We had already identified those areas yesterday, acceleration and electronics, and we confirmed the progress made with the front end. Honda and Yamaha have been working on their bikes for a year, while we’ve just had two days, which makes our job particularly challenging, but we already knew that as well. Tomorrow will be important as well because we’ll be able to make an overall assessment of the three days, and we’ll have a clearer idea of where we stand compared to the others. If we manage to stay under one second from the top, I’ll be happy.”

Alvaro Bautista – Gresini Honda – 9th – 46 laps: The second day of the test has seen us improve our lap times slightly but above all put together a consistent pace over a series of outings. Today I had more confidence with the bike and I was able to push with more conviction, which I am particularly pleased about. We have tried some things with the electronics and some setting solutions that will give us an idea of what we need to do tomorrow. I am sure that we can improve the bike and my riding significantly. Obviously I need to get used to riding a 'thousand' because it has different characteristics to an 800, mainly in that it has more power and you have to use that in a different way. I have been able to see how professional this team is. They are doing a great job so that gives me confidence for tomorrow, when we will try to take another step forward.”

Nicky Hayden – Marlboro Ducati – 10th – 16 laps: “I was okay when I first went out this morning, and on my second lap I managed to make a pretty decent step from yesterday. After that I lost strength in the shoulder and wasn’t really able to ride fast or consistently enough to test much. I’m okay under braking because I can lock my shoulder out, but when the bike shakes I don’t have enough strength to hold on. I didn’t want to crash and cause bigger problems, so I just decided to chill out. It’s a bit of a bummer, but that’s how it goes sometimes. They’ve done a great job with the new bike, and you can see just from looking at it that it’s really slick. I just wish I could ride it closer to the edge and really see what it does and how it reacts to changes. Maybe I’ll do a few more exits tomorrow, but that’s about it.”

Stefan Bradl – LCR Honda – 11th – 41 laps: "Today has been a full day of work for me and the guys. We made some good steps forward including in our 'to-do' list, suspension regulations, chassis geometry adjustments and some electronics. I found the bike easier to ride and my fastest lap time came early in the morning and I was very pleased with that."

Karel Abraham – Cardion AB – 12th – 66 laps: “We’ve done a lot of work today. We completed 39 laps before 1:00 PM, but it was the only solution because we wanted to get as much data as possible. I’m little bit disappointed that we completed only one successful run – during which I set my best lap time from Wednesday. The bike isn’t perfect yet, it doesn’t work optimally . We need to find the right set-up between the chassis and electronics because one thing affects the other one more than we expected. I believe that we will improve tomorrow, despite the fact that I’m quite tired because I completed two times more laps than some other riders. I already have some blisters on my hands, so it’s gonna be uncomfortable.”

HSE2
17th February 2012, 11:18 AM
MotoGP World Champion Casey Stoner and wife Adriana have welcomed their first child.

Alessandra Stoner was born on February 16 in Switzerland at 9.55pm (local time) with a weight of 2.8kg (6.17 pounds). 22-year-old Adriana, originally from Adelaide, and the new-born are reported to be doing well.

With the MotoGP season not set to start until April 8, 27-year-old Stoner will have the next few weeks to fully acquaint himself with his daughter.

Speedcafe.com passes on its congratulations to the Stoner family.
Source Speedcafe.com.au

FTe217
17th February 2012, 11:48 AM
Can you believe the 16th Feb is Rossi's bday LOL.....how ironic.

FTe217
17th February 2012, 12:48 PM
The envy of many motogp followers around the world !
Onya Casey
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq106/axi91/Adriana%20Stoner/01203724853.jpg
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq106/axi91/Adriana%20Stoner/76956552.jpg
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq106/axi91/Adriana%20Stoner/2552242262_3dc69b50fc_b.jpg

FTe217
29th February 2012, 10:18 AM
Sepang round 2 Testing started yesterday......
Looks like our boy hasn't slowed down recently becoming a Father LOL.......
Look nothing can be taken seriously from the times to date - who knows what teams are testing out, new tyres etc but one thing for sure it be who can catch our boy.

Times at 5pm:
Stoner 2'01.761
Pedrosa 2'02.00
Lorenzo 2'02.43,
Spies 2'02.81
Bautista 2'02.95
Hayden 2'03.13
Crutchlow 2'03.21
Rossi 2'03.24

FTe217
29th February 2012, 11:48 AM
Casey Stoner sizes up the 1000s
Casey Stoner on the 1000s
Friday, 24 February 2012
The 2011 World Champion shares his views on the 1000cc Repsol Honda heading into the 2012 season, the year that will see the MotoGP™ class returning to the high powered machines.

How is the 1000 different from the 800 on corner entry, mid-corner, exit?
"Well, it’s not so much a difference between the 1000 and the 800, but just an improvement that we've made with Honda, is braking stability. The wheelbase is maybe a little different and when we go on the brakes we've got a bit more stability entering the corner. The rear does not want to hop as much and we can actually sink our hands into the brakes a lot harder. So it's actually changing the braking points by less than what we'd expected, because our bike has improved quite substantially in that point. I'd say corner entry is exactly the same. Everything from that point on is very similar. I think it's mainly just chassis-wise that we've improved. The weight of the bike is exactly the same, the way it's going to react is very similar, if not the same.

The weight's the same?
"It was quite recently that they decided to add four kilos, but I think the extra weight isn't changing much. If it were 20 kilos, it might be different. At this point it just feels similar to the 800. The only thing that's different is how the chassis feels. And corner exit, we're able to use that power a lot better, we're able to get more torque out of the engine and have a lot more control with the engine because it's not so peaky. And actually I've found a lot more traction-because of the extra torque and control, it wants to drive out of the corner a lot longer before it spins."

Can you be less precise with the 1000 and still get away with it?
"I'd say no. In a small way, because of that extra torque you can square the corner off and shoot it out. But the 800s already had a lot of power. You've still got to ride them in a similar manner-very accurately. Everyone's just trying to massage out the bugs at the moment."

If you make a mistake, is it less forgiving than the 800?
"No, I think it's very similar. With the 800s you were carrying a bit more corner speed. With the 1000s, especially on a small track with a short gearbox, it just wants to wheelie quite a lot. So they did turn a little bit harder and you keep a little bit more throttle in the middle of the turn really. But such a minute amount. You can still ride them in exactly the same way. I was watching some of the lines others were taking and looking at some of the black marks. They're using the whole track still. I'm using less and less of the track, because I'm happy with that extra bit of torque. But in general you can still ride them in both ways."

You've won a title before. Is it harder to win a title or defend a title?
"I think there is no defending a title. You don't go into a season with a points advantage over anyone. So I don't think it's ever a title defense. I think you've got a different number on your bike, if you choose, but everyone starts at zero again. Especially this year; we're going from 800s to 1000s, so there's nothing similar to the past year except we're running tyres on bikes and we're doing the same kind of championship, but it’s a completely different category now. So, I don't think you ever go into a season trying to defend your championship. I think you're going out trying to attack for another one."

The year after you won your championship you had a number of problems, which made keeping the number one plate more difficult.
"I think we didn't start out so great with the 2008 bike. We struggled with it quite at the start of the season. We were having a lot of pumping issues and trying to figure out the chain tensions, small things like that to try to stop the pumping problems we had. But then we had a camera come off and flap around my bike in Estoril, and we had an engine go in Le Mans. Then we had major issues at the end of the year with my wrist falling to pieces, but everyone just remembers me losing the title. But I think we put up one hell of a fight considering the year we had. And I think I proved to everybody that we had every right to be champion again that year, but it wasn't to be. Same in 2009- We were leading the championship when my lactose issue started to play havoc. It was pretty much only 2010 that we didn't have any excuses. We didn't have the bike, we didn't have the equipment, we didn't get it sorted quick enough. We made mistakes. Pushed too hard in places we maybe shouldn't have. And things just didn't go well from there. But at the end of the season once we got everything sorted, we showed that we still had the speed and came out on a bike that hadn’t given us everything we wanted, and sort of showed everybody what we could do again."

Wayne Rainey famously said that with each passing championship he felt he had to win and that there was no settling for second place.
"I think this championship's changing quite a lot. Wayne was the benchmark so he had nothing really to chase, but I suppose you can always win more races during the season, you've always got goals. But for me, it's a problem the way the championship is heading and the way there are always rule changes. There are always excuses and it doesn't seem to be about racing as it was in those days and there's more to it than just going out and having a good scrap. It sort of makes me unhappy looking at the direction the championship, the way that it's going. But at the same time I've still got goals that I can set and try to fulfill, but if I can't, I've got to be happy with the career I've had."

One of his problems was that by winning so often, there were few improvement to his machinery. That doesn't seem to be a problem with Honda.
"With this team, every bit of input I give, I see it motivating them to try to do better. With Honda, you see that they just want to keep improving. They don't ever want to sit still. Now that there's a 1000 here, straight away there's a lot of input going into it and they're trying to sort out all the small gremlins."

At Laguna Seca, you had one of your most frustrating races in 2009 and last year you had one of your greatest races there.
"I think everyone can appreciate now that maybe the race wasn't so easy on a Ducati. That maybe it wasn't as clean cut as everyone thought it was. I rode my butt off in that race and things didn't work out. I forgot about that shortly after but nobody else did. So it's not my problem anymore."

The pass that you made on Jorge Lorenzo, how far ahead did you plan that?
"A few laps to be honest. Not in that exact spot; I just thought if the opportunity arose then I wouldn't have any doubt doing it. I've always been good in the last sector of Laguna- I was fast on the Ducati. It's all about getting the gear shifts right to keep the front down, because it's such a short track. On the laps previous to that I was catching Jorge every time in that spot. And I thought if I got close enough and he just made a small slip-up with shifting, it would be just enough. And it happened. If you watch, you'll see me all of a sudden get acceleration, but it was the fact that he held that wheelie a bit too long. And that allowed me to carry that momentum around the outside."

Some believe that was the turning point in the championship? Do you agree or disagree?
"No, I completely disagree. There are turning points constantly in the championship. Just let every race be a different turning point in the championship. There's always different moments and you just need to let them flow."

FTe217
2nd March 2012, 11:44 AM
Well last day of testing - Honda blew an engine - many others make a big thing about it but I'm advised with the change to 1000's Honda gurus wanted to find out how far to go with tweeks vefore detonation ! LOL......not many laps done after this for CS or Ped but they were still the quickest.
Interestingly the satillite Yami of Dovi's ended up faster than Horgay and Spies - mind you both the factory boys had an off prior to Dovi's time.
Barbera - another statillite rider but the Pramac Duck faster than the the factory Ducks of Rossi and Hayden, now Barbera is a good rider but not to Haydens standard and especially Rossi's.
Its either make or break for Duck/Rossi looking at those times below - I really hope they get it together.
Lots of sandbagging in these tests we will really find out come 1st practice and race.

1 Casey StonerRepsol Honda Team 2:00.473
2 Dani PedrosaRepsol Honda Team 2:00.648 +0.175
3 Andrea DoviziosoMonster Yamaha Tech 3 2:00.802 +0.154 +0.32954
4 Jorge LorenzoYamaha Factory Racing 2:00.877 +0.075 +0.40451
5 Cal CrutchlowMonster Yamaha Tech 3 2:00.986 +0.109 +0.51354
6 Hector BarberaPramac Racing Team 2:01.231 +0.245 +0.75866
7 Alvaro BautistaSan Carlo Honda Gresini 2:01.275 +0.044 +0.80251
8 Ben SpiesYamaha Factory Racing 2:01.432 +0.157 +0.95928
9 Stefan BradlLCR Honda 2:01.492 +0.060 +1.01954
10 Valentino RossiDucati Team 2:01.550 +0.058 +1.07757
11 Nicky HaydenDucati Team 2:01.609 +0.059 +1.13644
12 Franco BattainiCardion AB Motoracing 2:03.490 +1.881 +3.01739
13 Colin EdwardsNGM Mobile Forward Racing 2:03.681 +0.191 +3.20843
14 Yonny Hern?ndezAvintia Racing 2:06.632 +2.951 +6.15948
15 Ivan SilvaAvintia Racing 2:06.785 +0.153 +6.31253

FTe217
24th March 2012, 05:33 PM
Stoner topped the times during the last testing in Spain, cross winds were strong and still got in there and kicked butt !
Horgay was next quickest .023 behind, it's going to only between these 2 the whole season but a few spanners in the works like Dovi Spies the rest I expect will struggle keeping as consistant as the mentioned names.

FTe217
2nd April 2012, 02:37 PM
Well the season start is just round the corner.......

Solid progress leaves Stoner and Pedrosa in top shape
Repsol Honda Team day3 test jerez
Sunday, 25 March 2012
The Repsol Honda riders were both very pleased with the work completed at Jerez on Sunday.

The three days of testing at Jerez circuit have been very productive for the factory Repsol Honda riders, with Casey Stoner finishing on top again today (Sunday) with a best lap time of 1'38.780 and Dani Pedrosa, in third position with 1'39.157.

Both riders spent this morning preparing their bikes for a longer run. Dani made a race simulation, with 27 laps in low 1'40"s, finishing reasonably happy with his performance and the bike behaviour. Casey also took positive information from a long run of 12 laps, of which eight were in the 1'39"s.

The next time that Repsol Honda riders will go on track will be April 5th at Losail circuit, for the first practice of the Grand Prix of Qatar, the first race of the 2012 season.

Casey Stoner:
"Today we were really pleased with the lap times we're running but I think we can still improve the bike quite a bit before the race here. Anyway we feel like we've made some progress on a track like this for us. Towards the end of the day we had some chattering but we have an idea what caused this and it's not the same as in Sepang. We did a lot of laps and a longer run to get a little more understanding of fuel consumption and things like this and in general we're satisfied with how the whole Test has gone for us. Now we can go racing which is what we really enjoy."

Dani Pedrosa:
"We've been working a lot with the chassis in the morning to prepare the race simulation. But by the time we were ready, we had to stop twice in the box for an issue with the rear brake. Finally, on my third exit, I could make it. I did the full race distance, 27 laps, and I'm quite satisfied with the result, the lap times were pretty good even though it was very windy in the afternoon, it's also been also good physical training for me. In general, I think we've done a good pre-season, we only need to improve a little more on braking and corner entry… It would help us for the first race of the season."

Repsol Honda press release

2012 MotoGP calendar

08-04 Qatar Qatar Losail
29-04 Spain Spain Jerez
06-05 Portugal Portugal Estoril
20-05 France France Le Mans
03-06 Catalunya Catalunya Catalunya
17-06 Great Britain Great Britain Silverstone
30-06 Netherlands Netherlands Assen
08-07 Germany Germany Sachsenring
15-07 Italy Italy Mugello
29-07 United States United States Laguna Seca
19-08 Indianapolis Indianapolis Indianapolis
26-08 Czech Republic Czech Republic Brno
16-09 San Marino & Riviera di Rimini San Marino Misano
30-09 Aragón Aragón Motorland
14-10 Japan Japan Motegi
21-10 Malaysia Malaysia Sepang
28-10 Australia Australia Phillip Island
11-11 Valencia Valencia Valencia

FTe217
2nd April 2012, 02:38 PM
also good luck to Ant West getting a late ride into Moto2........

West in for QMMF team
West in for QMMF team
Saturday, 31 March 2012
Australian rider Anthony West has been signed up for the QMMF Moto2™ Racing Team to contest the 2012 World Championship.

In a late line-up change for the 2012 World Championship, Anthony West has been signed up to ride a Moriwaki for the QMMF Racing Team in Moto2™.

The 30-year-old, who has ridden in the intermediate category for the past two seasons in the MZ Racing set-up, will use his vast World Championship experience alongside Spanish rider Elena Rosell in the Qatari Federation team.

"It’s great to be back in Grand Prix racing, with a team that operates on such a highly professional level and with the support of Moriwaki, one of the most experienced and highly regarded manufacturers," said West in a press release from the team, which also confirmed he will replace fellow Australian Damian Cudlin.

"We haven’t had the chance to go through the pre-season preparations together, so we can’t expect miracles at the team’s home Grand Prix of Qatar next week. But I’m really excited about this opportunity and I’ll push to the maximum to get the best possible result!"

FTe217
4th April 2012, 01:53 PM
Well its do or die for Ducati.....alot of $$$$$ spent and I really hope they are up there but I doubt till maybe mid season, the bike is improved to suit Rossi's style especially to get more heat in the front tyre but it will be ongoing improvements through Race conditions.
They are still around 1sec behind a lifetime in motogp !

Rossi and Hayden eager to get going
ducati preview qatar
Tuesday, 3 April 2012
The Ducati Team riders will get to measure the progress of the Desmosedici GP12 against its competitors in a Grand Prix setting when the first round gets underway in Qatar this Thursday.

The 2012 MotoGP™ World Championship starts on Thursday at Losail International Circuit, where it will be a long weekend. Riders will take to the track a day early and the race is held at night, as has been the custom at this venue, but those are not the only unique characteristics of the season-opening Grand Prix. This year is also marked by MotoGP’s return to the 1,000cc maximum-displacement limit and the debut of the CRT bikes.

During the three winter tests, Valentino Rossi and Nicky Hayden started their work on the Ducati GP12, which debuted two months ago. While their focus during the Qatar practice sessions will be on preparing for the race, the two riders and their respective teams will also continue to work on finding their harmony with the new bike.

Valentino Rossi:
“We worked hard over the winter, and although we went the wrong direction at one point, we once again managed to find the good feeling with the GP12 that we’d had in the first test. With those settings, which we’ll start with in Qatar, I was able to get good feedback from the bike. At Losail it will be very important to work well during the sessions leading up to qualifying so that we can increase our confidence step by step as we approach Saturday, always trying to maximise our potential. I’m a realist, and I know well that our times are still a long way off and that there are still some things to fix. We won’t be able to address some of them right away, but it’s also true that both we at the track and the guys back home now have a direction to work in, and we must try to do as well as we can. We won’t completely re-do the bike during the season, but we’ll try to progress little by little.”

Nicky Hayden:
“This is my tenth season in MotoGP, and I’m looking forward to it. I have a really solid team and I think we have a good bike this year. With all the injuries from Valencia and my training incident, preparation obviously hasn’t gone exactly how you’d like it to, but Jerez was a good test for me to do a lot of laps at very close to 100 per cent. Qatar is pretty unique because we’re racing at night, but the truth is, after you get rolling, you don’t notice it by about the third of fourth corner. It really doesn’t change too much with things like lines and bike set-up, but as it gets later, you have to be careful with the condensation on the track, especially in Turn 2. I’d like to be going into the first race closer to the front, but hopefully we can do some steps. I’ve basically only ridden around by myself on this bike, so it will be nice to get in the race and really see how it stacks up against the others.”

FTe217
4th April 2012, 01:54 PM
Stoner and Pedrosa prepared for Qatar
repsol honda preview Qatar
Tuesday, 3 April 2012
The Repol Honda riders are raring to go as the first round of the 2012 season beckons.

The 2012 MotoGP™ World Championship officially starts this weekend in Qatar, the small Peninsula off the Persian Gulf, noted for hosting the only race of the calendar under floodlights. The Commercialbank Grand Prix of Qatar is, without any doubt, one of the most spectacular races of the season.

Months of development, testing and hard work have gone into the preparation for this season which sees a switch to 1000cc bikes. In addition to this change the Repsol Honda Team faces another challenge; defending the Triple Crown they achieved in 2011 when they won the rider, team and constructor titles.

Casey Stoner, the current MotoGP World Champion, has also been the man to beat in pre-season, dominating both tests in Malaysia and Jerez, where his team-mate, Dani Pedrosa, also confirmed himself as one of the fastest riders in the top class.

Stoner’s record at the Losail circuit is impressive: he is the main reference with four pole positions and four wins out of six in the MotoGP class. Pedrosa has visited the podium three times in MotoGP and will be fighting, like the Australian, for a strong start to the season.

Casey Stoner:
“After good pre-season Tests in both Sepang and Jerez, we head to Qatar feeling positive, but still have some work to do. This will be the first time with the new bike on this circuit so we will need to spend some time on the set-up to put ourselves in the best position. We've always enjoyed good results at the Losail circuit but this is a new season and there are more competitors contesting for victory this year. I'm excited to get the season started and fight for another World Championship.”

Dani Pedrosa:
“Each year is different and there are always various obstacles to go through during a season. I’ve had good and bad races in the past, but a big part of these results are determined by how you have prepared yourself in the winter. I’ve worked very well this year, I had a good pre-season with the bike and with my physical training; I hope that luck is on my side this time, so we can have a good championship. Qatar is important because it’s the first race of the season, but you have to minimise risks. If you don't win this race you can still win the championship, but on the other side, a mistake can complicate the year. I’m ready. Let’s see how everything goes and where everyone is.

FTe217
4th April 2012, 01:56 PM
Lorenzo and Spies ready for Losail
yamaha preview qatar
Tuesday, 3 April 2012
The Yamaha Factory Racing riders are confident as they head to Qatar for the first race of the 2012 season.

This Sunday sees the long awaited and hugely anticipated season opening race of the 2012 MotoGP™ Championship at the Losail circuit in Qatar. Yamaha Factory Racing riders Jorge Lorenzo and Ben Spies will line up on the grid under the spectacular floodlights alongside their rivals for the first true test of the 1000cc era. A strong winter testing period with very competitive times means both riders arrive in Qatar confident in the abilities of their all-new 1000cc YZR-M1 as they set their sights on the podium.

2011 Championship runner up Lorenzo has a strong record at Qatar, starting every MotoGP race there from the front row and always finishing on the podium. An outright Losail victory has so far eluded him, something he aims to put right this weekend. Team-mate Spies has yet to score a podium finish in Qatar, taking fifth in 2010 and sixth in 2011. The Texan is looking very comfortable on the new 1000cc machine and is aiming for nothing less than a podium finish on Sunday.

Jorge Lorenzo:
"I’m very excited to finally race and see how we are compared to our rivals. Qatar was a good race for us last year but I think this season we have a slightly more competitive bike so I am hoping for good things to happen. Because of my hand injury it has been a long time since I was in a race so I am really excited for Sunday. I have been training a lot for this season; I’m feeling very good and very happy with the bike as well."

Ben Spies:
"Finally! I think testing can get a bit dull after a while so I’m happy we now get to go and do some racing at last. We’ve worked really hard over the winter; the Yamaha Engineers have done a great job so we’ve got a pretty good bike to race with at the weekend. Let’s get out there on Thursday and start finding a set up and see how it feels. It’s always special to race at night under the lights, we’re going to give it 100% and put on a good show."

Wilco Zeelenberg, Team Manager:
"I’m really excited to go to Qatar, it’s been a longer off season than usual. We had a great winter test season and we solved a lot of problems from 2011 so I’m curious to see how our package behaves under race conditions. Testing is one thing but finishing on a podium is the real test. Jorge is very fit and the M1 is ready to go. Let’s clean the track for the first couple of days and then go racing!"

Massimo Meregalli, Team Director:
"We are going to Qatar in good spirits. After the three winter tests our performance was consistently good which is important. We’re starting this Grand Prix with good expectations, knowing that we can achieve a good result. Last year Jorge had a really good race and the bike was less competitive than it is now, and Ben has always been strong at Qatar, also in World Superbike. The Losail circuit layout is very suitable for our bike characteristics so we should do well!"

FTe217
4th April 2012, 02:10 PM
Barring injury our Casey should defend his title and be crowned 2012 Champ !

Horgay is no push over infact a real threat and I admire his tradesmen riding race in race out at his young age as well as Stoner, 2nd I predict.

Dani Pedbot - Stoners team mate and Honda Factory rider for his 7th year ! at times can be Faster than all of them but always has an "off" broken limb or whatever puts him out for a month hence killing his Title chance, IF he stayed up right could challenge both the above for the Title but it seems when under pressure to keep being faster he finds the edge over his capability predict 3rd !

Going to 1000cc's puts them back into some serious mid torque Grunt - top speeds will be on 360k's some straights, Faaaaaark !

I love watching this show and have for years though like all motorsports its in its first phase of dumbing down from this season with the intro of a controlled some say Div2 bike or a glorified Superbike.
Factory bike your in the hopes to challenging for the title the rest just making up numbers as Dorna the governing body wish's for to get more manufacturers into the sport and more bum's on seats just as Cochrane has done.

Regardless I encourage watching at least 1 race this season and see our own rider who is being judged as one of the best ever handle a 2wheeled weapon at 10tenths - sheer balls on stuff go CS !

FTe217
9th April 2012, 08:29 PM
Early days - first race, interesting results.
Horgay is a warrior at his young age and came back from 3rd the last laps to take the win.

COMMERCIALBANK GRAND PRIX OF QATAR

MotoGP Race Classification 2012

Doha, Sunday, April 08, 2012
Pos. Points Num. Rider Nation Team Bike Km/h Time/Gap
1 25 99 Jorge LORENZO SPA Yamaha Factory Racing Yamaha 166.2 42'44.214
2 20 26 Dani PEDROSA SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 166.1 +0.852
3 16 1 Casey STONER AUS Repsol Honda Team Honda 166.0 +2.908
4 13 35 Cal CRUTCHLOW GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 165.1 +17.114
5 11 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 165.0 +17.420
6 10 69 Nicky HAYDEN USA Ducati Team Ducati 164.3 +28.413
7 9 19 Alvaro BAUTISTA SPA San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda 164.3 +28.446
8 8 6 Stefan BRADL GER LCR Honda MotoGP Honda 164.3 +29.464
9 7 8 Hector BARBERA SPA Pramac Racing Team Ducati 164.2 +31.384
10 6 46 Valentino ROSSI ITA Ducati Team Ducati 164.0 +33.665
11 5 11 Ben SPIES USA Yamaha Factory Racing Yamaha 162.6 +56.907
12 4 5 Colin EDWARDS USA NGM Mobile Forward Racing Suter 162.5 +58.088
13 3 14 Randy DE PUNIET FRA Power Electronics Aspar ART 161.7 +1'10.650
14 2 68 Yonny HERNANDEZ COL Avintia Blusens BQR-FTR 161.4 +1'15.943
15 1 41 Aleix ESPARGARO SPA Power Electronics Aspar ART 160.7 +1'26.733
16 22 Ivan SILVA SPA Avintia Blusens BQR-FTR 159.7 +1'43.327
17 54 Mattia PASINI ITA Speed Master ART 159.5 +1'47.419
18 77 James ELLISON GBR Paul Bird Motorsport ART 159.2 +1'51.882
51 Michele PIRRO ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini FTR 110.6 7 Laps

FTe217
10th April 2012, 01:02 PM
Its very concerning the outcome from the 1st race for Rossi and Ducati, check out below......

Valentino Rossi lashes out after Qatar nightmare
“It's unrideable, and it doesn't make much difference what track we are on” – Valentino Rossi.

“Unfortunately, I lost a lot of time in the beginning because when I had new tyres with good grip, the rear pushed a lot, making it very difficult under braking,” explained Rossi.

“Then Barbera pushed me off the track and I lost five or six seconds. Otherwise, I could have stayed with that group.

“As the tyre became used and began to slide, I started to ride a bit better and to do better times, to the point that I matched my best time on the last lap. By that point though, it didn't count for much.”

Rossi, a 79 time premier-class race winner, has celebrated only a single podium since leaving Yamaha at the end of 2010. And after such a demoralising start to 2012, it seems Rossi's patience is starting to wear thin.

GPone.com quotes Rossi as saying: "Ducati didn't follow the direction that I indicated, but I'm not an engineer and I can't solve every problem.

"...The problems with the bike haven't changed, and neither have my requests. It's unrideable, and it doesn't make much difference what track we are on.

"I'm not able to enter the corners hard on the brakes, and we can't hope the situation will change completely with the new Bridgestone tires. These aren't problems you can solve with set-up alone.”

Team manager Vittoriano Guareschi emphasised that the aluminum-frame GP12 project is still in its very early stages of development.

“It was a challenging weekend for our team, but we can also look at some positive aspects as we continue to focus on working with the still-young GP12,” said Guareschi.

“Valentino had a difficult qualifying session, and he had problems in the race, particularly in the early laps with fresh tyres. We must learn how to solve this, because in the end he posted some good times.”

Top Ducati rider Hayden was 28 seconds from victory, one-second further back than he had been in 2011. The American finished eleven seconds behind fifth place Andrea Dovizioso (Yamaha).

Rossi's best race lap was the slowest set by a manufacturer rider.

During winter testing, Ducati Corse boss Filippo Preziosi said that technical upgrades for the GP12 were not expected to be ready for several races.

Taxi For Rossi Divorce
Give Nicky his Due he tries very hard indeed but ITS A PIG and They haven't got endless pockets ££$$ to fix it either or aint got a clue how to fix

HSE2
12th April 2012, 07:36 AM
http://moto-racing.speedtv.com/article/motogp-rossis-frustration-hits-boiling-point

HSE2
12th April 2012, 07:52 AM
It doesn't take em long and I know its been done to death but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ly4m-o9wUIg

FTe217
12th April 2012, 09:36 AM
yer its a Hoot eh Ian the vid - so well done, the Hitler actor takes him off spot on.
As for Ducati its a pressure cooker thats for sure - the Yanks are hailing Hayden's performance and I suppose good on him.
They dislike that most of his carreer he is playing second fiddle to team mates - 1st being Pedrosa,then Stoner and now Rossi, TBH he isn't a front runner imo but a close podium finisher due to attrition. Honda and Ducati jumped on him purely to boost US sales more than anything else but he may just get up the pecking order IF he keeps out performing his Legend team mate.