PDA

View Full Version : 2017 - F1 (may contain spoliers)

TS50
22nd December 2016, 09:18 PM
interesting article I read
Bottas to Mercedes to replace Nico
Massa to come out of retirement to stay at Williams

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/massa-accepts-offer-to-stay-at-williams-in-2017-860616/

TS50
17th January 2017, 07:30 AM
confirmed

Finnish driver Valtteri Bottas was officially confirmed as Nico Rosberg’s replacement at Mercedes, 45 days after the German rocked the Formula 1 world.
As Bottas joins the champion Brackley squad, it means veteran Brazilian Felipe Massa has endured the briefest of retirements to slip back into the Williams team beside the raw newcomer Lance Stroll.
The 27-year-old Bottas was in the frame early on as a likely replacement for Rosberg who shocked even those closest to him by announcing his grand prix mission was accomplished after snaring the 2016 title with his retirement announcement.
Mercedes Motorsport boss Toto Wolff said Bottas was a great fit for the squad after the Finn has endured 77 starts and nine podium finishes across four seasons at Williams.
“Sometimes in life, unexpected circumstances provide interesting opportunities. Nico’s decision in December was a big surprise – certainly a challenging situation for the team to handle,” Wolff said.

Full Story
http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/01/17/bottas-mercedes-massa-returns-williams/

Paxton
17th January 2017, 07:45 AM
Great win for Bottas, but a big loss for Williams.

Massa out of retirement is an interesting one - I thought Button would have been a chance for the Williams seat.

FTe217
18th January 2017, 08:20 AM
Feck, this game is getting desperate !

4Vman
6th March 2017, 12:12 PM
I'll just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLOWSLd53U4

FTe217
6th March 2017, 12:37 PM
Higher pitched screamers !
Got to say the lower profile fatter rubber looks tougher.
I'll have to arrange myself being down there for the Thurs/Fri I suppose.

4Vman
6th March 2017, 12:46 PM
Higher pitched screamers !
Got to say the lower profile fatter rubber looks tougher.
I'll have to arrange myself being down there for the Thurs/Fri I suppose.

Such a tease of a vid... if only they sounded like that still...

Sigh

FTe217
6th March 2017, 01:31 PM
Just as Supercars I'm optimistic for the coming F1 season......
Both need competition that other teams need to step up and challenge the dominance here regards to MB.
Look forward seeing how these car look in the flesh - rapt the tall skinny design is over for starters.
I'll be curious how much faster these will be with the more grip cornering speeds should be impressive.
Slip streaming and pulling out into the disturbed air should challenge the intending driver and cause some real "moments" in the heat of battle.
Alot of other aero changes makes for this first GP pretty exciting me think.
Go you good Scarlett's is all I'm saying :)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2695511-f1-pre-season-testing-2017-times-and-wednesday-analysis-from-barcelona

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2016/12/13/f1-2017-race-calendar-rule-changes-explained-ahead-new-season/

FTe217
9th March 2017, 09:32 AM
I'm hanging out for this to start.
MB will be the front runners no doubt about it.
I'm hoping Ferrari and RB can really be up there.
By the way those Torro Rosso's look mad.

Here's some more sand bagging by the spoiled brat.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/motor-sport/formula-one/mercedes-star-lewis-hamilton-says-ferrari-looking-quick-ahead-of-2017-f1-season/news-story/557f728e9974c7509077a

prydey
9th March 2017, 09:39 AM
Yep, 2 weeks until it all kicks off. Merc will no doubt be the leader but Ferrari and red bull should be right up there and Williams showing some promise in the latest test.

TS50
9th March 2017, 09:49 AM
Yep, 2 weeks until it all kicks off. Merc will no doubt be the leader but Ferrari and red bull should be right up there and Williams showing some promise in the latest test.
I thought the tip was that Red Bull may very well be the leader this year, not MB

FTe217
9th March 2017, 10:50 AM
Do you actually believe the press - MB will be the mark wait and see.
Its looking promising from RB Ferrari being quicker but MB will be just as T8 in our game, at the front once the cars are on the track come Melb.
With all the changes they will have the speed still but the others may be able to capitilise at these early stages.

prydey
9th March 2017, 11:42 AM
I thought the tip was that Red Bull may very well be the leader this year, not MB

red bull's strength will be aero, but they still have the massive achilles heel in the Renault engine. reports suggest they have unlocked more power but it is still behind ferrari and merc engines.

having said that, red bull proved during the vettel years that they don't need the most power if they have the aero. they just get out front far enough to be out of range and then dominate. Newey is the man when it comes to aero, but even he doesn't get it right straight of the bat.

personally i don't think they'll be too far away, but i wouldn't go as far to say they'll be ahead of merc.

Paxton
24th March 2017, 03:31 PM
Watching P2... The new cars are just stunning. Love the Red Bull and as always Williams - they are just stunning. The Martini Stripes (cue the drool emoticon)...

Not too sure about the Force India Cars in Jane McGrath Pink however.

Joe Palmer just had a massive off. Sometimes I wonder about Pay Drivers and what they are doing on track.

prydey
24th March 2017, 05:56 PM
So, Merc still clearly the benchmark (in hamilton's hands at least), but Ferrari look good. tomorrow will tell more of the story.

Tyres could again be a talking point with even the ultra soft being reasonably durable. Race forecast to be a one stopper.

TS50
24th March 2017, 06:00 PM
So, Merc still clearly the benchmark (in hamilton's hands at least), but Ferrari look good. tomorrow will tell more of the story.

Tyres could again be a talking point with even the ultra soft being reasonably durable. Race forecast to be a one stopper.
Bit early to call that Rob, 2 practice sessions, where some teams have not yet shown their hands
I will reserve my judgement on where cars are until after at least the first race

FTe217
24th March 2017, 06:13 PM
and even the 2nd race BUT I knew MB and that P were more so playing ghosts and mirrors pre season testing.
They will still be the benchmark till I see the reverse hopefully this season.

FTe217
25th March 2017, 01:35 PM
Just loving the Fat rear view of these F1 cars now - so much better a great change.

4Vman
25th March 2017, 01:37 PM
https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/17467797_10213838874103696_1713212617_n.jpg?oh=64a a3af5fcd6d421db013e346deffc7b&oe=58D7C4B7

FTe217
25th March 2017, 01:42 PM
P3 lap record just broken :)
Early days - promising.

Paxton
25th March 2017, 01:51 PM
P3 lap record just broken :)
Early days - promising.

Yeah, but it's Vettel. The only driver I like less than him is Hamilton. Red Bull is very slow today - not sure whether they have their cars turned down or something but Ferrari have found their pace in the Christmas Break, and Red Bull have gone backwards.

Big off by the new Williams driver...

prydey
25th March 2017, 01:55 PM
Yep, at least 4 of the cars look quick!

Not sure if the race lap records will be under threat. Still had refueling back in 2004, so cars had fresh tyres and low fuel.

TS50
25th March 2017, 02:05 PM
qualifying ill show more, still a lot of unanswered questions

prydey
25th March 2017, 05:01 PM
Shame for DR, but I guess it shows the pressure to try to stay in touch with the top 4.

TS50
25th March 2017, 05:41 PM
at least it looks like the Mercs have some competition

FTe217
26th March 2017, 01:13 PM
Typically alot of sand bagging but teams have to start showing their cards now.
This race is going to be fast thats for sure.
I think tyre wear during the race will dictate its course thats for sure.
RB DR is in bother but they'll learn from this event and I expect will gain ground soon enough.
MV is a young gun, he just may over drive it and most likely cause problems but having had last year under his belt I expect he being stronger.
Mac is such a talking point - Alonso asked left right and centre will he stay or will he go - like FFS, its the 1st race of the season what do you expect he to say lol........

prydey
26th March 2017, 03:46 PM
Woot!! Ferrari!!!

Never thought I'd cheer for Verstappen but loving seeing Hamilton being held up, and subsequently throw his toys out the pram yet again.

Kimi is very good on tyres so hopefully he will go to super soft when he pits.

prydey
26th March 2017, 04:53 PM
Forza!!!!

It feels like when MS joined Ferrari way back in 99. Their lean spell hasn't been anywhere near as long but to see them win on genuine pace just has that same feel. Awesome job. Pressured Merc in to an early stop and then grabbed their chance and never looked back.

TS50
26th March 2017, 06:31 PM
didn't think merc would have it all their own way this year

prydey
26th March 2017, 07:24 PM
interestingly, despite having a massive speed advantage, and much fresher tyres (although different compound), hamilton was unable to pass verstappen on track. it was feared that these new regs would make on track passing harder, with the cars now more aero sensitive again and with much more mechanical grip, so corner speeds are up and braking distances down.

FTe217
26th March 2017, 08:23 PM
dont forget that over taking now is more difficult due to the much dirtier air - maybe the P just wasn't confident enough as yet to risk the move ? who knows but I also was happy MV was in front of him :)

Well, it sure is refreshing but its only 1 race but nothing like having a great start to it ! :)
It was interesting by MB deciding to create the opening that early imo.
P was going ok, petel was holding his place behind I actually think it was the wrong decision at that stage.
Its not like their car it that slow.
They played the wrong card.
Good for Ferrari obviously - yes there is some feel to back in the Schumi days, only because we haven't looked that convincing but this had resemblance of not going pear shaped some how.
Kimi solid.
So, FORZA alright.....

Really sorry for DR.
Bet you you williams followers are glad Massa came back from his long retirement.
Glad the Torros's did pretty well.

prydey
26th March 2017, 08:36 PM
It was interesting by MB deciding to create the opening that early imo.
P was going ok, petel was holding his place behind I actually think it was the wrong decision at that stage.
Its not like their car it that slow.
They played the wrong card.

hamilton admitted that his tyres were gone. they have always been worse on tyres than ferrari. whether he could have held on for another lap or so and got out ahead of verstappen, we'll never know. perhaps merc just assumed that verstappen wouldn't hold him up for long.

FTe217
27th March 2017, 08:51 PM
Sure Rob but they have always been able to get enough advantage though, and even if coming out behind normally get back through to the front.
I think once they get their finger on the pulse it will be back to normal BUT obviously I'm hoping not.
I'm hoping the Reds have improved that much more to actually fight them every race.

4Vman
3rd April 2017, 01:24 PM
https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/motorsport/1704/formula-one-to-bring-back-the-noise-ditch-hybrids

Thankgod!

AFTER a meeting in Paris to discuss whether Formula One should consider replacing the unloved current turbo hybrid power units, the FIA controlling body and significant stakeholders have indicated their desire to switch to less expensive, noisier engines by 2021, the year of the next opportunity to move to new regulations.
Chaired by FIA president Jean Todt and attended by representatives of new F1 owner Liberty Media, the four current F1 engine suppliers plus manufacturers potentially interested in participating in the sport (among them Volkswagen), those present agreed on several key moves to change the sport.

The meeting established the overriding aim was to keep F1 as the pinnacle form of motorsport with road-car relevant technology, while making power units simpler and cheaper to develop and produce – and more powerful.

Though it is almost inevitable the current hybrid power units will go, it is likely some of the technology will stay.
The stakeholders in the sport also agreed on the need for engine regulations which give drivers the freedom to drive harder at all times, rather than the fuel and power unit conservation obligatory with current engines and the 105-litre fuel minimum.

Todt, who oversaw the introduction of the technically complicated and scarily expensive turbo-hybrid engines in 2014, seems happy to concede these power units haven’t been a resounding success.

The Frenchman came away from the Paris meeting very satisfied with the absence of conflict among the stakeholders, who agreed broadly on the future direction of the sport.
“I was very pleased with the process, and the fact that so many different stakeholders were able to agree on a direction for the FIA Formula One World Championship in such an important technical area,” Todt said in an FIA statement.
“Of course, now we must sit down and work through the fine details of exactly what the 2021 power units will be – but we have begun on the right foot, and I am looking forward to working through the process to come up with the best decision for Formula One into the future.”

Talks are already in train for the revisions of the 2021 engine regulations.
The FIA confirmed the existing 1.6-litre V6 turbo hybrid power units will remain until the end of the 2020 world championship, with rules dictating the first change cannot be applied until 2021.

A week earlier, in a media briefing at the Australian Grand Prix, Todt said it is the responsibility of the FIA to make the rules, but in the context of a yearning by new commercial rights holders to make changes.

"They [Liberty Media] will never be in a position to write the rules,” Todt said. “They will always be written by the FIA."
The FIA boss went on to say he felt the cars today were "too sophisticated, too expensive, too complicated and in a way too reliable".
He said the technical sophistication of the sport shouldn’t take a priority over action and emotion.

He also emphasised F1 would never go back to the inefficient but loud, naturally aspirated engines of a decade ago.
He also indicated it was essential there was less disparity in pace between teams.
Ross Brawn, hired by Liberty to drive the technical changes to the sport, is pushing for greater entertainment on track. Faster, more dramatic, more passing.
"We should work out how we can make the aerodynamics as benign as possible so cars can actually race each other. That's never truly been done," Brawn said.

"Can we come up with a set of regulations where we can still use the power of aerodynamics to give us the speed and spectacle of the cars, but in a more benign way so they can at least race each other more closely without it having an impact? That is my ambition, that is my objective.”

Paxton
3rd April 2017, 02:08 PM
All they need to do is bring back refueling and it'll be bloody perfect. Oh and maybe two tyre suppliers so Michelin can have another go.

FTe217
4th April 2017, 12:28 AM
Thanks Brawn. Hope you get this job done.

prydey
4th April 2017, 12:34 AM
All they need to do is bring back refueling and it'll be bloody perfect.

spot on.

used to keep you guessing all through quali as well, when they had to qualify with their race fuel.

blame massa, for driving down the pit lane at singapore with the fuel rig still attached. people go on about timo glock letting hamilton by in the rain at brazil on the last lap, but that incident at singapore probably cost massa the c/ship.

not sure why they don't consider bringing it back, when many other motorsport categories still have refueling.

FTe217
18th April 2017, 07:20 AM
So, another battle done.
Its close - but you got to love it as long as MB are not 1st especially the dirty brat.

http://www.supersport.com/motorsport/formula1/news/170416/Vettel_wins_Bahrain_GP_for_Ferrari

TS50
18th April 2017, 07:48 AM
still hard to back "Multi 21"

Paxton
18th April 2017, 08:54 AM
McLaren are in a world of hurt. One racer DNF, the other racer didn't even start. Something has got to give soon - it's not as if these are brand new engines any more.

TS50
18th April 2017, 09:00 AM
McLaren are in a world of hurt. One racer DNF, the other racer didn't even start. Something has got to give soon - it's not as if these are brand new engines any more.

and even when they are running, they are way off the pace
You can hear the frustration in Alonso's voice

FTe217
18th April 2017, 09:59 PM
I'm actually feeling for Alonso having been a Red driver being in this current situation, how was the in car commentary from Alonso, do what you like. Am I feeling for McLaren ? not one bit.
The perfect couple now would be MB joining them but alas there needs to be opposition otherwise it would be boring.
Importantly it must be hurting Ron Dennis, couldn't happen to a better P despite he being out of it now, nice.

TS50
30th April 2017, 04:43 PM
After P2, I was worried MB was a long way up

After Qualifying, first time in a long time no MB on front row
Even if its Ferrari, I think its good

prydey
30th April 2017, 06:07 PM
did you see the faces of toto and niki. it looked like someone had killed their dog. cheered me up. i think they are realising this ferrari threat is very real.

good to see kimi on the pace also. just messed up the final corner, otherwise he could very well have had pole.

big gap to P5 though. hopefully the race pace of redbull and co is better than their quali pace.

TS50
30th April 2017, 06:38 PM
yeah I did see those face, made me smile

TS50
30th April 2017, 08:12 PM
Sauber to run Honda in 2018, must want to run at the back with McLarn

https://autoaction.com.au/2017/04/30/sauber-run-honda-power-2018

SAUBER TO RUN HONDA POWER IN 2018

Sauber have announced that they will be running Honda engines from the 2018 Formula 1 season.

After celebrating 25 years in Formula 1, the Swiss team has struck a deal with the Japanese manufacturer to run their engines next year. Ending Sauber’s long term relationship with Ferrari.

The deal also ends the exclusive relationship between McLaren and Honda. An effort that Honda hopes will return them to a “dominant strength as soon as possible”.

Sauber’s Monisha Kaltenborn, was happy with the new deal.

“It is a great honor for the Sauber F1 Team to be able to work together with Honda in the coming seasons.”

“Our realignment is not just visible through the new ownership but also now with our new technological partnership with Honda.”

“We very much look forward to our partnership with Honda, which sets the course for a successful future – from a strategic as well as from a technological perspective. We thank Honda for making this great partnership happen.”

While Honda’s Katsuhide Moriyama also made a statement about the new partnership.

“In addition to the partnership with McLaren which began in 2015, Honda will begin supplying power units to Sauber as a customer team starting from next year.”

“This will be a new challenge in Honda’s F1 activities. In order to leverage the benefits of supplying to two teams to the maximum extent, we will strengthen the systems and capabilities of both of our two development operations, namely HRD Sakura and the operation in Milton Keynes.”

Date posted: April 30, 2017

prydey
30th April 2017, 08:19 PM
Good to see Honda commit to the sport, but on current strength, its hard to understand a team signing such a deal, unless there was a LOT of incentive involved.

4Vman
30th April 2017, 08:20 PM
Maybe there's engine spec changes coming they hope to capitalise on?

TS50
30th April 2017, 08:33 PM
Good to see Honda commit to the sport, but on current strength, its hard to understand a team signing such a deal, unless there was a LOT of incentive involved.

especialy when they are running Ferrari engines

TS50
30th April 2017, 11:35 PM
Great to see Bottas win
I like him
And the Pratt was no where, he sooked

FTe217
1st May 2017, 09:38 AM
Well, some positives from the russian race.
Happily watched last night but cringed at the start - blew it hence Bottas taking off really well and taking advantage.
His first 15laps were spot on.
Thats how close things are today.
We couldn't make up that time but pettel sure put it in till the very end that I liked seeing - pit could have said back off take the assured 2nd points but he drove spot on as he can BUT for Massa causing back off late in the charge whilst he was near on Bottas.
KIMI ! love seeing him back where he belongs, glad the team have sorted things out.
Watching the Eddie Jordan post race interviews were cringe worthy but going to speak to Kimi brought me lol's.......
Jordan being all hyped up interviewing Finns - Bottas was cool as responding to his first win and Kimi being introduced as the most popular F1 driver recent years just goes ho hum lol.....Eddie was expecting more from both haha
Loving Prat having a tuff day !

phillyc
1st May 2017, 06:29 PM
Great to see Bottas get his first win! Very pleased to see him triumphant.
Race pace for the Red Bull is a struggle and yet another brake failure. Not good.
Best we can hope for Dani Ric is best of the rest if things don't improve.

FTe217
1st May 2017, 06:36 PM
Baffling to have brakes be on fire within a couple of laps.
Seeing a pit crew member blowing the extinguisher towards the r/h hand brakes sure isn't a normal stop.
Gets you wondering why no one else is suffering this in the field.

4Vman
15th May 2017, 01:43 PM
Petal linked to Mercedes:

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/motorsport/1705/sebastian-vettel-to-mercedes-%E2%80%93-don%E2%80%99t-rule-it-out

Persistent speculation that Sebastian Vettel has already signed the paperwork to guarantee a move to the Silver Arrows next season won’t be officially confirmed…however Niki Lauda has not bothered to dampen ongoing reports that the four-times champ has a deal with Mercedes.

FTe217
15th May 2017, 02:00 PM
I'd like to see DR in a Prancing Horse......

prydey
15th May 2017, 02:15 PM
Petal linked to Mercedes:

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/motorsport/1705/sebastian-vettel-to-mercedes-%E2%80%93-don%E2%80%99t-rule-it-out

Lauda says its rubbish
http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/05/14/lauda-rubbishes-vettel-mercedes-claims/

prydey
15th May 2017, 02:17 PM
while i enjoyed the race, this was the 'play of the day' for me

http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/05/15/young-ferrari-fan-receives-unique-f1-experience/

TS50
15th May 2017, 02:35 PM
I'd like to see DR in a Prancing Horse......

Prancing horse want Max tho

prydey
15th May 2017, 02:37 PM
Max has no 'get out' clause in his current contract

TS50
15th May 2017, 02:39 PM
Max has no 'get out' clause in his current contract
does that matter in this day and age?

FTe217
15th May 2017, 02:46 PM
I only quoted DR for be nice having an aussie driving for us BUT the downer to this is fly by night aussie supporters coming over as if they had for years lol....stay at RB IF it ever happened.
Funnily I was going to say Max for once he matures he gonna be good I expect.

Watching last night play of the day happen was good to see by Ferrari and Kimi.
This guy just kills it in the PR stakes and then not....I have a man crush for Kimi, near on lives my dream life.
Enjoy reading - some quotes are just classics. https://kimiraikkonenspace.com/quotes-on-kimi-raikkonen/33-classic-kimi-quotes/

https://kimiraikkonenspace.com/category/interviews/

FTe217
30th May 2017, 12:19 PM
It was quite a significant Ferrari 1-2 you know.
Their first win in Monaco since Schumacher in 2001 was cause for celebration in itself. But on a day that Lewis Hamilton struggled, it also moved Vettel 25 points clear in the drivers' championship, and thrust Ferrari back into the lead of the constructors'. This was also the team's first one-two since Hockenheim in 2010 - and the first ever for Vettel and Raikkonen as team mates.
I feel for Kimi, in his position we'd all feel ripped just as he does.
This time DR feels joy, he was just as Kimi felt last Monaco, go figure.
Sainz, I have raps on him, kept brat in check and damn I do love the Torro Rosso livery.
Feckin Haas picking up, good to see, we need small or new teams improving, I have small interest having watched AJ having the honour driving out of Pit Lane in Adelaide so long ago during that failed attempt into F1.
Happy for Button even though I'm so against the Mc brand.
Best thing, MB hurt, butt hurt.

TS50
31st May 2017, 10:32 AM
https://drivetribe.com/p/TcLLH2dLRNOHyACluedk3w?iid=QghXxmXMRU69VcR8ZCIbNQ&utm_campaign=main+&utm_medium=fb&utm_source=organic

MONACO GP VERDICT: WHY FERRARI'S STRATEGY FOR RAIKKONEN JUST DIDN'T MAKE SENSE

Tiff Needell posted in
HOME OF F1

They’ve been racing round the streets of Monaco on and off since way back in 1929 and it’s still very much the place to be – and perhaps more importantly the place to be seen – when the Grand Prix circus moves into town.

Unfortunately the tight confines of the tiny Principality have long since been outgrown by the ever more complex machines that race today.

So much so that overtaking is hardly expected and qualifying has become the most important part of the weekend.

And this year the three part session was full of drama and entertainment. Lewis Hamilton had a 'mare, nearly collecting the barriers on his first run in Q2 and then unable to set a representative time after Stoffel Vandoorne clobbered the barriers at the end of the session.

This left a three way fight for pole that was eventually covered by just 0.045 seconds.

Extra feel good factor was provided by both McLarens making the top ten – the feel bad by both having to drop back on the grid!

F1 SHOOTS ITSELF IN THE FOOT AGAIN

Stoffel three places for clobbering Felipe Massa in Spain and Jenson Button, after a superlative comeback, all the way back to the back after Honda were forced to fit yet another MGU-H. There are times when F1 just cannot help shooting itself in the foot.

While Stoffel’s penalty was deserved surely it is time to make the manufacturers pay for manufacturer’s mistakes and not the drivers.

Only the teams themselves care about the Constructors Championship so use points deductions there to make them feel some pain - and not the drivers and the fans that come to watch.

So it was that with 78 torturous laps ahead we settled down to watch a Ferrari parade with most neutrals looking forward to a win for the Kimster.

Unlike Spain there could be no help from either the DRS or the tyres to make for any entertainment – the single DRS section being too short and the softest of the tyres looking to be able to last the whole race.

This time then it was down to the teams to cause most of the controversy that the race will be remembered for.

With the Ultrasoft tyres looking unlikely to lose much pace - and the Supersoft option slower even when new - the trick of stopping early, going faster and then undercutting the car ahead didn’t seem to be an option.

It was some surprise to me then – and to the driver – when Max Verstappen was called in for a tyre change while happily running behind Bottas and ahead of his teammate Ricciardo (who wasn’t happy with his team after they stuck him out into traffic in Q3).

Mercedes then went for the safe bet and pitted Valtteri to cover Red Bull’s move. The only problem was they were now running slower than the three cars in front of them...

WRONG CALL... OR CONSPIRACY?

Why then did Ferrari suddenly pull in their lead car one lap later?

Kimi had no complaints about the state of his tyres and, although apparently lapping slower than his teammate, had every right to set whatever pace he felt comfortable with.

Vettel and Ricciardo stayed out, trading the race’s fastest laps at that stage on their still relatively fresh Ultrasoft tyres and both duly emerged ahead of their far from pleased teammates when they eventually made their stops for Supersofts - and the rest, as they say, is history!

The only possible theory is that Ferrari were worried that Raikkonen’s slow pace might have allowed the fast approaching Ricciardo to split the Ferraris but then why didn’t they at least ask Kimi to up the pace if he could before simply summoning him to the pits?

WIDE LOAD

Meanwhile at the other end of the field Jenson, while loving driving the new cars, obviously didn’t love the fact that you still can’t overtake in them and got bored with staring at the back of Wehrlein’s car to such an extent that he went for a desperate lunge that neatly parked Pascal up against the wall – on its side!

At least this brought out the Safety Car which bunched up the pack for a spectacular high speed convoy to the finish but nothing was going to change the order.

Worse still, as everyone filtered back to their hotels they were greeted by TV screens filled with more overtaking on every lap than a whole season in F1 from across the Atlantic...

FTe217
31st May 2017, 02:25 PM
Love to know what really was quoted in the Ferrari pit to bring Kimi in.
I'm sure it was, Kimi is near 30points behind brat but close enough to Bottas in points, pettel needs more to gain advantage seeing MB won't be on the podium.
Simple really but so unfair to Kimi - but this is racing today BUT back in the day some teams would have looked at it and let it be as was.

As for the comment of 78laps tortuorous laps, well how many Monaco's hasn't been a snooze fest.
You could nearly say every year as the cars develop they out grow the place - nothing new here.
Quali has always been THE most important thing at this place to start with.
Then to dodge the walls/armco's/barriers and stupid drivers lol.....

4Vman
26th June 2017, 09:05 AM
DAN!!!!!!!

Whoo hooo!!

And Hamilton V Petal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuPPHgF0xEM

Dirty on both counts.

TS50
26th June 2017, 09:20 AM
DAN!!!!!!!

Whoo hooo!!

And Hamilton V Petal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuPPHgF0xEM

Dirty on both counts.
Dan needs to go and thank these 2
Both are gooses

prydey
26th June 2017, 09:28 AM
Dan needs to go and thank these 2
Both are gooses

even as a big fan of vettel, i can't argue...

but i think DR needs to thank Pirelli most. pretty much everything that happened can be traced back to the fact that the tyres just weren't up to the task. all teams and all drivers struggled all weekend to get the heat in to them and even then, due to the long straights it was hard to keep them in the window.

it all started smoothly enough, although bottas was a bit clumsy with raikkonen, but as soon as the safety car was called for kvyat, it all went pear shaped, with drivers struggling to maintain temp in the tyres.

FTe217
26th June 2017, 09:29 AM
What a race to watch !
So many things going on it was great for the arm chair critic have to say.
First off Azerbaijan, mad place by the look of it. They put on a huge pre race show, the anthem sung and you should have seen the dress worn by the singer.
Fox's/Sky's pre race show was interesting to watch and listen. Enjoyed this coverage.
The track is wide in some areas and tight in others, its built for carnage full stop.
What a start of the race !
Set it all up what was to become.
Bottas ends up last from first lap carnage.
So many things happened it was great and due to so much debri on the track they had to safety car twice, marshalls running here and there picking up carbon bits.
This is why Kimi suffered a puncture.
Force India's were going mad, loved seeing this, then taking each other out lol......
The pettel prat scenario was classic brain farts and being bitchs by both of them imo.....loving the hated rivalry and this cause's behaving like kids.
I expected prat running away from this but the events that occured served up the melting pot.
Dan winning, wouldn't have ever expected it, his team mate was much further ahead but again he suffered power failure in good position he's pissed, don't blame him.
Stroud, who would have thought !
Masa, at one stage he was pressing for podium, after red flag re start the car misbehaved, so was confirmed a broken rear shock, like wtf wouldn't that have been noticeable on telemetry before ???? strange how that transpired.
Kimi, Kimi's car was a right off having suffered the puncture, circulating back to the pit at quick speed damaged so much, the complete undertray, other areas.
The crew got him out in time for re start after red flag, what an effort ! despite getting a pen later.
The prat's scenario in front having to "box" due to his headrest not fastened correctly, it was lifting when he got up to high speeds lol.....
pettel 10sec pen for dangerous driving, that was turning into prat whilst in safety car mode saying prat brake checked him - lol loving the drama.
Best race to watch due to dramas, the close racing by many, heck even mclarens were competitive on this track, alonso was 6-7th at one stage saying ont he radio this was a race we could win )meaning if we had more powa I'd be up there).....
Epic late dive bombs into corners taking positions.......
Bring it on, loved it.

4Vman
26th June 2017, 09:37 AM
http://images.watoday.com.au/2012/07/12/3448385/Bradbury_non.jpg

prydey
26th June 2017, 09:46 AM
the bradbury analogy is very applicable in this situation. to be able to take advantage of the misfortune of the favourites, you still have to be there in the right spot at the right time. many people use the analogy as though bradbury got the gold through sheer luck, but forget that it was actually a final, and that he had got there on merit.

DR, while getting the win, also raced very well to be in position to capitalise. his double pass down the main straight after one of the safety car periods was a good example. last of the late brakers and kept it on track and held off the subsequent attacks.

Good effort by young Stroll also. he's had his critics this year, but the last 2 races he has started to look a lot better. i think many were waiting for him to bin it, but to his credit he brought it home, unluckily getting pipped on the line (literally) by bottas.

FTe217
26th June 2017, 10:21 AM
DR wasn't the only one doing late dive bombs - great to watch.
The tyre scenario is how it goes, I like the lottery aspect about it due to shade on the track, car set up, heat not being retained.
Thats how it is and who handles it the better on the day but they are still going fast, to the edge as we know.

the prat pettel scenario is typical of the top contenders fighting over anything everything.
Both are wrong imo. I don't hold it against either tbh for this is looking for every single angle getting the better of your opponent, rightly or wrongly.
On track or mind games through the media.
LOL, when pettel was advised to "box" 10sec pen, he comes back what for ? haha love it.
Then we have prat preaching how wrong pettels actions were - but he probably fueled the re action be it brake check or his mannerism is getting to pettel.
The Ferraris were struggling in practice so it would have played on pettels head I can't give MB any ground.
He stressed out due to the previous re start prat re started far better than pettel gaining a gap so pettel was hell bent not letting that happen this 2nd re start, so he would have been edgy during the safety car period - he f up, did prat just back off more than expected ? who knows but to me it was pettel not being aware, he reacted to error by blaming prat therefore pulls out goes next to him bump turning in lol....nothing like it, take that you fn prat lol.....
Wish they went at each other whilst on Pit Lane during Red Flag period.
Heck they had enough time to have 1-2rounds lol......

HSE2
26th June 2017, 10:23 AM
Well that was unexpected.

prydey
26th June 2017, 10:48 AM
LOL, when pettel was advised to "box" 10sec pen, he comes back what for ? haha love it.

there is some discussion on other F1 forums that with all his arm waving, the contact was accidental and he wasn't even aware of it.... i guess its a possibility but not one that i'm going to swallow. if you are going to bump another car in F1, the ONLY way to do it is to bump wheels. that to me shows it was probably intentional.

he copped a penalty + 3 points on his licence, so matter is closed. bring the next race.

TS50
26th June 2017, 11:05 AM
there is some discussion on other F1 forums that with all his arm waving, the contact was accidental and he wasn't even aware of it.... i guess its a possibility but not one that i'm going to swallow. if you are going to bump another car in F1, the ONLY way to do it is to bump wheels. that to me shows it was probably intentional.

he copped a penalty + 3 points on his licence, so matter is closed. bring the next race.
To me it was like he was waving his hands and had no hands on the wheel , car veered left
But that is giving him a big benefit of the doubt
Really glad he got a penalty

FTe217
26th June 2017, 11:25 AM
he lifted his hands up in the air going like WTF after he bumped into the mb's arse as you would.
Then he pulled out from behind pulling up next to the prat, imo no way did the car veer perfectly right side front wheel to front wheel tap.
It was deliberate lol....I was glad no damage occurred friggin lucky.

4Vman
26th June 2017, 04:17 PM
http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/formula-one/sebastian-vettel-one-penalty-away-from-race-suspension/news-story/ac497282baf0a207138ca281602db9fc?utm_content=Socia lFlow&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_source=News.com.au&utm_medium=Facebook

SEBASTIAN Vettel is three demerit points away from becoming the first Formula 1 driver to be suspended under the new regulations surrounding FIA (International Automobile Federation) licenses.

26th June 2017, 05:16 PM
You guys stirred my interest... thanks, i just finished watching it.

What a race !

4Vman
26th June 2017, 06:46 PM
https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/19489613_1532381976806513_1221895972_n.jpg?oh=1682 df158a3e444e5ef52acdc11901b1&oe=595254FC

Paxton
26th June 2017, 08:06 PM
Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit...

I recorded it last night and just finished it. I fast forwarded through the Red Flag and am about to watch the podium. What an awesome race.

Baku is now on my list. It looks beautiful - similar situation to the Emirates, but with some history as well.

Dan done us proud. Kept his head and drove smooth and smart. Poor Max though - looks like Max is still driving Mark Weber's old car.

FTe217
26th June 2017, 09:17 PM
Its amazing when you think about re RB, none of the major teams have the 2nd car suffering demons/bugs/gremlins and more ala RB2nd car.....
Yes Pax Baku did look pretty good landscape.

HSE2
27th June 2017, 10:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-n0gzs3L2c

HSE2
27th June 2017, 10:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DVtA0iSU0Q

prydey
27th June 2017, 10:24 AM
as most know, i'm a big vettel fan, but i haven't seen him acknowledge his second impact anywhere. whenever its brought up, he refers back to the rear impact. he's either unaware that he made contact so heavily (extremely doubtful) or maybe he is being advised not to admit anything (possible) in regards to the second impact. i guess if it escalates, which it probably won't, he could still claim it as accidental and he only meant to wave his hands.

either way, the speed was extremely slow at point of impact so i don't think its as dangerous as hamilton is trying to make out.

hamilton is trying to take the moral high ground but it was only 9 races ago in abu dhabi he was trying to back nico in to the chasing pack...

when you are slowing from 150+km/h in to the corner and then continue to slow (down to 49km/h) on exit, it is very unexpected and he's lucky it was only vettel that got caught out in my view.

TS50
27th June 2017, 10:30 AM
https://drivetribe.com/p/S8gugSEpRw-WEtHU8RI4EQ?iid=XHo7DCuqSKiFwY6MxuGVsg&utm_campaign=main+&utm_medium=fb&utm_source=organic

HOME OF F1
MCLAREN'S TOTAL GRID PENALTIES IN THE NEW HONDA ERA IS COMPLETELY FARCICAL

Dave Stubbings posted in
HOME OF F1

Remember on 2013 when Martin Whitmarsh announced the reunion of McLaren and Honda for the 2015 season? It all sounded so promising; McLaren becoming a works team again, Honda having an extra year to prepare that new hybrid engine.

What could possibly go wrong?

Remember this? Fernando probably does.
Turns out, quite a lot.

After their latest grid penalties in Azerbaijan (quelle surprise), I decided to do some maths and tot up the total number of grid penalties since the McLaren-Honda partnership resumed in 2015.

And oh my god.

It's bad, really really bad. Just catastrophically bad.

No smiles here

Canada - Jenson Button 15 places

Austria - Fernando Alonso 25 places, Jenson Button 25 places

Belgium - Fernando Alonso 55 places, Jenson Button 50 places

Italy - Fernando Alonso 10 places, Jenson Button 5 places

Russia - Fernando Alonso 35 places

Mexico - Fernando Alonso 15 places, Jenson Button 70 places

2015 total - 305 places

Well this is familiar

Belgium - Fernando Alonso 60 places

Malaysia - Fernando Alonso 45 places

Japan - Jenson Button 35 places

2016 total - 140 places

*Sigh*

Russia - Stoffel Vandoorne 15 places

Spain - Stoffel Vandoorne 10 places

Monaco - Jenson Button 15 places

Azerbaijan - Fernando Alonso 40 places, Stoffel Vandoorne 35 places

2017 total - 115 places

GRAND TOTAL

560 places.

Yes, that's right, 560 places. I'm not making this up. It really has been that bad. After just eight races this year they've already incurred 115 places worth of penalties, 35 fewer than in the whole of 2016.

Oh no, not again
COMPARISON TO OTHER TEAMS

I also looked through the other teams over the same period to see how they've done.

Force India were by far the best. Since the start of 2015, they've incurred five places worth of grid penalties because of mechanical problems.

Yes, 5.

Now compare their budget and resources.

McLaren also had a car fail to start on four occasions and failed to set a time in qualifying five times since the start of 2015.

The memories of Senna, Prost and F1 domination seem a long and distant memory.

FTe217
27th June 2017, 01:20 PM
Watching all unfold was for good viewing got to say.
Thats it prydey, the bloody prat playing the moral high ground routine, he was doing from the cock pit from the get go.
Not just on the pettel incident but of the safety car - not fast enough - tyres not holding temp, this is not good, he was bitching all the time on the radio, it was obvious so much pressure was on for all concerned, having pettel close by irritated them.
Got to say his following of the safety car was all over the shop - I know its the lead cars prerogative but even his warm up lap at original start was up and down crazier than normal.

4Vman
28th June 2017, 07:27 AM
Dans triple pass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMnENL4ZlUk

FTe217
28th June 2017, 08:42 AM
yer was a cracker move, slight lock into the corner but more so how he held it making the corner exit having gone that deep.
Very well handled was great to watch.
Through the race there was a number of top late overtaking moves more so 1 car not 3 as DR's.
Again, rippa race watching live.

4Vman
29th June 2017, 12:29 PM
http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/formula-one/sebastian-vettel-clash-with-lewis-hamilton-to-face-further-fia-probe/news-story/9f0f02816da1a3c3c6dbe4f8bfdf135a?utm_content=Socia lFlow&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_source=News.com.au&utm_medium=Facebook

FIA to investigate Vettel.

TS50
29th June 2017, 06:03 PM
http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/formula-one/sebastian-vettel-clash-with-lewis-hamilton-to-face-further-fia-probe/news-story/9f0f02816da1a3c3c6dbe4f8bfdf135a?utm_content=Socia lFlow&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_source=News.com.au&utm_medium=Facebook

FIA to investigate Vettel.
but surely they already investigated and handed out penalties,
if they wanted to investigate further, they shouldn't have done the first penalties, cant keep going and going

FTe217
30th June 2017, 06:05 PM
Slow, you have watched and followed F1 for quite sometime.
Many times over the years have further pens evolved 1-2wks later.
It had been a Ferrari McLaren fight to the end back in the Dennis heydays, kept pushing FIA over this then Ferrari countered and vis versa.
Now its MB, not surprising.

prydey
1st July 2017, 11:10 AM
Ron Dennis officially sells out
http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/formula-one/mclaren-legend-ron-dennis-walks-away-after-huge-sale/news-story/da5171a7400ad1ab48d25daf255692ca

FTe217
3rd July 2017, 09:16 AM
I read of this happening quite some time ago, it was coming, he was pretty much forced out or as quoted "on gardening leave" todays speak as in GTFO.
See ya Darth Vader, the final piece of mclarens decline is done.

Elks
4th July 2017, 01:14 PM
as most know, i'm a big vettel fan, .

Wow! I did not know that. Lets add you to the list.

People who Like Vettel.

1. Prydey.

:highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused:

FTe217
4th July 2017, 02:44 PM
:highly_amused: classic, even I still can't like him but as long as he gives it to the prat I like that....
By the way talking about the ladies....
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/07/no-further-action-over-sebastian-vettels-heated-azerbaijan-f1-clash-with-lewis-hamilton/

TS50
4th July 2017, 07:27 PM
People who Like Vettel.

1. Prydey.
2. Vettel

:highly_amused:

4Vman
4th July 2017, 07:37 PM
People who Like Vettel.

1. Vettel.
2. Prydey.

:highly_amused:

FTe217
5th July 2017, 06:15 PM
People who Like Vettel.

1. Vettel.
2. Prydey.
3. Vettels Mum ?

Elks
10th July 2017, 10:14 AM
And now the who F1 fan world is cheering for Bottas.

FTe217
10th July 2017, 12:14 PM
Good race to watch last night.
Damn, the amount of debris off the racing line from these tyres is massive.
DR, another great move and overall race importantly making life difficult for the chasing brat !
You should have listened to the Brat's post interviews, behaves just as he is, a spoiled Brat.
Brundle asked DR to fill the boot for a ssip so as he could sell the boot for charity.
So both pettel and DR question Bottas's near on perfecto launch off the start line.
Funnily pettel still questioned it despite the data showing its was spot on during post interview's with Bottas looking on like wtf lol.....
Bottas was lucky, just as Russia, pettel coming in for the kill, one more lap would have got him - but 20points ahead on the table.

Nah, no care for Bottas, boring as feck, give me Max or Sainz - some spunk animation and wild driving.

prydey
11th July 2017, 07:53 PM
So both pettel and DR question Bottas's near on perfecto launch off the start line.
Funnily pettel still questioned it despite the data showing its was spot on during post interview's with Bottas looking on like wtf lol.....

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport/formula-one/f1-video-shows-valtteri-bottas-jumped-the-austrian-gp-start-but-did-so-legally/news-story/db9ab4996b0573549291d763c8588bf8#itm=newscomau%7Ch ome%7Cnca-homepage-topstories%7C5%7Clink%7Chomepage%7Chomepage&itmt=1499766249038

its all a moot point, as the FIA are happy that Bottas was within the tolerance given, but you can't argue with the fact that his car clearly moved before the lights went out.

FTe217
11th July 2017, 11:37 PM
yes mate, this was already being touted not long after race finished.
kudos to pettel, from the drivers seat he doesn't miss much and stood by his belief hence why I brought up the post race interview.
So now the breakdown proved it lol......

FTe217
17th July 2017, 11:43 AM
Great viewing Frid/Sat/Sunday nights of Silverstone GP.
Nothing like a real dedicated long sweepers/chicane race track.
The look of these cars with those nice staggered fats from the rear sling shotting out of corners is what I love when watching F1.
The grip vision is amazing.
Well, that pratt won easy. not gonna talk more on him.
DR's drive of the race - started 16th I think - had an off going through the field went back re grouped and set about getting them back finishing 6th - epic drive.
Max and pettel had a good bout early in the race for 3-4th places at the time, looked like finishing bad for both but great driving and common sense did prevail in the end with Ferrari making the call to pit, RB a milly second slower a few laps later not fast enough on the rattle guns pettel/ferrari undercut them for the spot based on pure speed by pettel as well.
The red cars need more powa, handling great, tyres working to the max but mb have them covered now so the skunk works need to find more.
Ferrari pushed the gauntlet as both cars suffered tyre failures within laps of each other right on the end, Kimi salvaged 3rd having got in the pit not long after his puncture whereas pettel near on had to circulate the whole lap for new tyres.
Overall top race to watch much to see mid field as well.
Mid season and only 1point lead for pettel to pratt.

TS50
17th July 2017, 03:40 PM
Great viewing Frid/Sat/Sunday nights of Silverstone GP.
Nothing like a real dedicated long sweepers/chicane race track.
The look of these cars with those nice staggered fats from the rear sling shotting out of corners is what I love when watching F1.
The grip vision is amazing.
Well, that pratt won easy. not gonna talk more on him.
DR's drive of the race - started 16th I think - had an off going through the field went back re grouped and set about getting them back finishing 6th - epic drive.
Max and pettel had a good bout early in the race for 3-4th places at the time, looked like finishing bad for both but great driving and common sense did prevail in the end with Ferrari making the call to pit, RB a milly second slower a few laps later not fast enough on the rattle guns pettel/ferrari undercut them for the spot based on pure speed by pettel as well.
The red cars need more powa, handling great, tyres working to the max but mb have them covered now so the skunk works need to find more.
Ferrari pushed the gauntlet as both cars suffered tyre failures within laps of each other right on the end, Kimi salvaged 3rd having got in the pit not long after his puncture whereas pettel near on had to circulate the whole lap for new tyres.
Overall top race to watch much to see mid field as well.
Mid season and only 1point lead for pettel to pratt.

Dan started 19th, was a awesome drive. Some of his overtakes were pure class

Paxton
17th July 2017, 07:15 PM
I only watched the start but was a great drive by Dan. If you can find his interview afterwards, have a look - he was delirious when the Sky Sports Lady (Natalie I think) interviewed him...

Pratt won. Vettel complained. Kvyat ruined someone's afternoon. Some things don't change. Fernando's attitude did however. When Ted Kravitz interviewed him last night he actually seemed optimistic for the first time in memory...

Hungoring next up. Bring it on.

FTe217
18th July 2017, 10:27 AM
yes Pax, your description does infact remind you of a high end soap opera lol.......
One thing that is good mind you is driver characters - despite the gloss/$$$$'s brands drivers do let lose a little compared to our softies, Kimi, this guy may not be everyones cup of tea - maybe they have difficulty understanding his mumbling (lol) but his comments have cryptic msgs so many times and his off the top comments at times are hilarious, DR just brings that laconic no worries approach we like and happy outcome that looks natural when comparing to a puppet like CL for eg.
pratt is like a jekyll and hyde to those that admire him, I just can't stand him period but every show needs the no1 villain !
Fernando has changed so much - more so due to having to eat humble pie for 2seasons now - I like him for now whereas he was a DH for so long, how things change.
pettel is the perennial whinning smart german - I wonder does he ever enjoy his space with all he has.
pettel would say everyone ruins his race :)

Crappy hungoring but yes bring it on.
Bitch to pass, need both Red cars win the start and block rest of the race :)

Overall, FIA changes made for this season has made for great viewing.
look forward what else Brawn comes up with in the future.

TS50
18th July 2017, 12:03 PM
Was an interesting article I saw the other day
Webber was interviewing Vettyl
He said they had a few issues on the track side of the fence, but on the other side, Webber said he was a good bloke

TS50
29th July 2017, 03:04 PM
Have Redbull found something?

P1
1. Daniel Ricciardo AUS Red Bull - TAG 1m 18.486s
2. Kimi Raikkonen FIN Ferrari - Ferrari 1m 18.720s
3. Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes - Mercedes 1m 18.858s
4. Max Verstappen NED Red Bull - TAG 1m 19.162s
5. Valtteri Bottas FIN Mercedes - Mercedes 1m 19.248s

6. Sebastian Vettel GER Ferrari - Ferrari 1m 19.563s
7. Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren-Honda 1m 19.987s
8. Stoffel Vandoorne BEL McLaren-Honda 1m 20.005s
9. Nico Hulkenberg GER Renault - Renault 1m 20.150s
10. Jolyon Palmer GBR Renault - Renault 1m 20.461s
11. Felipe Massa BRA Williams - Mercedes 1m 20.540s
12. Sergio Perez MEX Force India-Mercedes 1m 20.574s
13. Daniil Kvyat RUS Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 20.780s
14. Carlos Sainz ESP Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 20.917s
15. Lance Stroll CAN Williams - Mercedes 1m 20.974s
16. Romain Grosjean FRA Haas-Ferrari 1m 21.313s
17. Alfonso Celis MEX Force India-Mercedes 1m 21.602s *
18. Marcus Ericsson SWE Sauber - Ferrari 1m 21.785s
19. Antonio Giovinazzi ITA Haas-Ferrari 1m 22.251s *
20. Pascal Wehrlein GER Sauber - Ferrari 1m 22.490s

P2
1. Daniel Ricciardo AUS Red Bull - TAG 1m 18.455s
2. Sebastian Vettel GER Ferrari - Ferrari 1m 18.638s
3. Valtteri Bottas FIN Mercedes - Mercedes 1m 18.656s
4. Kimi Raikkonen FIN Ferrari - Ferrari 1m 18.755s
5. Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes - Mercedes 1m 18.779s

6. Max Verstappen NED Red Bull - TAG 1m 18.951s
7. Nico Hulkenberg GER Renault - Renault 1m 19.714s
8. Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren-Honda 1m 19.815s
9. Carlos Sainz ESP Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 19.834s
10. Stoffel Vandoorne BEL McLaren-Honda 1m 19.909s
11. Esteban Ocon FRA Force India-Mercedes 1m 20.126s *
12. Sergio Perez MEX Force India-Mercedes 1m 20.266s
13. Daniil Kvyat RUS Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 20.577s
14. Lance Stroll CAN Williams - Mercedes 1m 20.791s
15. Felipe Massa BRA Williams - Mercedes 1m 20.869s
16. Jolyon Palmer GBR Renault - Renault 1m 21.175s
17. Kevin Magnussen DEN Haas-Ferrari 1m 21.345s *
18. Romain Grosjean FRA Haas-Ferrari 1m 21.504s
19. Marcus Ericsson SWE Sauber - Ferrari 1m 21.559s
20. Pascal Wehrlein GER Sauber - Ferrari 1m 21.722s

FTe217
30th July 2017, 09:50 PM
They have been finding their mojo last few races.
Getting there.
DR sure was flying Thursday but alas since the race is Sunday.
So many what ifs this race.

TS50
30th July 2017, 09:51 PM
the red cars were quick in Q
will be an interesting race

Hamiltons car overheating on the grid having to pump dry ice to cool it down

HSE2
30th July 2017, 11:32 PM
Hmmmm. Another team mate collision.

Dan not happy, 10 second penalty for max.

Futura
31st July 2017, 07:38 AM
How can a penalty of 10 secs be an appropriate penalty when the other car is DNF?

This is one area of motorsport that needs readdressing.

Apply a penalty of 10 secs, but you can not finish ahead of car you have taken out?

FTe217
31st July 2017, 08:36 AM
Well it started and ended well for my red cars despite the concerns of pettels steering wheel.
I liked how prattt was all let me at them I've so much said speed but to doing no more than his team mate in the end go back to 4th DH.
Shame Max didn't sort you out earlier on :) in other words bunt you off as well.
Well must be harmony in RB lol.
I'm sure DR would love to you know what.
Best race for mclaren as expected..

TS50
31st July 2017, 12:13 PM
While it was shit for Dan, it was a error of judgement, Max went in a little deep, locked up and ran wide
We are humans, and Max is in a competitive sport, shit happens

While not ideal, a penalty was applied, funnily enough there wasn't in the Grosham Hulkenburg incident, which was as bad.
Stewards see different things in different ways

HSE2
1st August 2017, 04:12 AM
How can a penalty of 10 secs be an appropriate penalty when the other car is DNF?

This is one area of motorsport that needs readdressing.

Apply a penalty of 10 secs, but you can not finish ahead of car you have taken out?

How does Vettel get away with 10 seconds when that was no accident?

FTe217
9th August 2017, 09:13 AM
Just watched on the flight back McLaren movie.
A time when I did admire the name and taking me back to "real" F1 so to speak.
He sure was a brilliant Engineer, ala similar to likes of Enzo,Tyrrell's etc.....
Nurburgring, watching the old footage makes for great viewing - all 4 wheels air born, banked single lane corners mad to see.
One Can Am race when not making it to the start line but Hulme his team mate was on front row - he joined the race last after the pack took off, to watch him drive through the field to finish 2nd rippa driving.
If you haven't seen it down load it makes for great viewing - watching and listening to those good ol Can Am 8's to die for.
Doing lots of Ford testing incl GT40's.
Tyre testing for Bridgy making ends meet when starting his own team, lots of good insights.

TS50
22nd August 2017, 09:31 PM
should i start F1-2018?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131346/ferrari-keeps-raikkonen-for-2018-f1-season

Ferrari keeps Kimi Raikkonen for 2018 Formula 1 season
By Jonathan Noble Published on Tuesday August 22nd 2017

Kimi Raikkonen will remain at Ferrari for the 2018 Formula 1 season, the Italian team has confirmed.

The 2007 world champion's contract with the Maranello outfit had been due to run out at the end of this year.

There had been speculation about whether or not he would continue but in a short statement, Ferrari announced on Tuesday, in the week building up to the Belgian Grand Prix, that Raikkonen would remain on board for 2018.

Raikkonen's deal will likely pave the way for Ferrari to conclude a new longer deal with Sebastian Vettel, whose current contract runs until the end of 2017.
F1's new faster and more challenging cars this year have better played to Raikkonen's driving style and he has been able to deliver some strong performances, including pole position for the Monaco Grand Prix, his first in F1 since 2008.

But while team-mate Vettel is top of the championship with 202 points and four wins, Raikkonen is in a winless fifth, 86 points behind.

There have also been questions about his overall commitment and effort t, with Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne labelling him a 'laggard' ahead of the Austrian GP.

Speaking about the potential for a future deal with Raikkonen at the time, Marchionne had said: "I think Kimi has got to show a higher level of commitment to the process.

"There are days when I think he's a bit of a laggard, but we'll see."

Before the summer break, however, Raikkonen appeared to have got back in favour and Marchionne was open that Ferrari was likely to retain both drivers for 2018.

"I think I have been public on the Sebastian issue, if he wants to stay he is more than welcome to stay," he said.

"And in the case of Kimi, we know he wants to stay.

"Hopefully we will bring them on soon."

Vettel was known to be keen for Raikkonen to stay, and there had even been suggestions that the German made it a condition that the Finn remain at Ferrari for now if he was to contemplate the long-term deal that his bosses want him to sign.
Ferrari had originally intended for its driver announcements to take place at the Italian GP, but may have chosen to confirm matters early in a bid to stop speculation about the future being a distraction from its world championship efforts.

Raikkonen is in his second spell at Ferrari, after the first stint - one that secured him his world championship title in 2007 - ended early in 2009.

He rejoined the outfit in 2014, but his most recent F1 victory remains his 2013 Australian GP triumph for Lotus.

Paxton
23rd August 2017, 07:30 AM
There is a shock...

I think the writing was on the wall for that decision in Monaco when team orders had Seb overtake Kimi. The guys on Sky F1 were adamant that a contract extension would be the carrot dangled in front of him to make up for the team orders situation.

The million euro question is what will Fernando do?

prydey
23rd August 2017, 08:33 AM
Alonso has no option but to stay at McLaren. Probably the reason his negative comments have dried up in recent times.

FTe217
23rd August 2017, 08:49 AM
The Kimi scenario was int eh coming - no one else at this stage to full fill the no2 role and besides it a fine pairing.
Ferrari were smart to get this done sooner so the team can get on with it.
Bring on Spa, love this track.
Yep, Alonso has no where else worth going to.
I was reading an interview yesterday with ol Berni.
He quoted that he wished Alonso had stayed at Ferrari.

TS50
23rd August 2017, 11:49 AM
puts paid to Max going next year to Ferrari
However Kimi only has 12 month contract, so maybe 2019

Unless Seb goes to MB?
Then anything is possible

FTe217
23rd August 2017, 12:38 PM
OR DR to Ferrari 2019, be it Max or he this all depends on pettel mind you for they won't accept no2 status thats for sure and I don't blame them.
I expect mb would love having vettel being german and all one day BUT he and pratts careers are too close age wise, vettel 30 pratt 32, pratt I expect has 2 more years left in him by then pettel near end of career so an mb move looks never to be.

4Vman
23rd August 2017, 12:40 PM
OR DR to Ferrari 2019, be it Max or he this all depends on pettel mind you for they won't accept no2 status thats for sure and I don't blame them.
I expect mb would love having vettel being german and all one day BUT he and pratts careers are too close age wise, vettel 30 pratt 32, pratt I expect has 2 more years left in him by then pettel near end of career so an mb move looks never to be.

Im not sure Lygon street is well equipped enough for that to happen.

FTe217
23rd August 2017, 12:46 PM
ofcourse it is lol......

Elks
23rd August 2017, 04:24 PM
What about Max to Mercedes. He's also a german. But fill the young gun role alongside Lewis well.

I also believe Pettal has a veto clause over his co-driver. I doubt he'd be keen for Dan to beat him a 2nd time.

I'd love Dan to go to Ferrari, and yes Lygon St would be ill equipped to deal with that.

Paxton
23rd August 2017, 04:41 PM
What about Max to Mercedes. He's also a german. But fill the young gun role alongside Lewis well.

I also believe Pettal has a veto clause over his co-driver. I doubt he'd be keen for Dan to beat him a 2nd time.

I'd love Dan to go to Ferrari, and yes Lygon St would be ill equipped to deal with that.

Max is a Dutch Belgian isn't he?

I didn't think he was a German.

I think Vettel will be stupid if a Mercedes seat opens up and he stays at Ferrari. Pratt could end up at Ferrari in 2019 and Vettel to Mercedes in a straight swap. Bottas isn't going anywhere so that seat is covered long term.

Elks
23rd August 2017, 05:32 PM

I think Vettel will be stupid if a Mercedes seat opens up and he stays at Ferrari. Pratt could end up at Ferrari in 2019 and Vettel to Mercedes in a straight swap. Bottas isn't going anywhere so that seat is covered long term.

You're right, He's Flemmish LOL. I new his old man was Dutch, but I thought they had moved at some point.

Ferrari/Mercedes how would you know where to be to give you the best chance. Today it Benz, before that Red Bull, Before that Ferrari, Mclaren..........

As for Bottas he won't be choosing to leave, but that doesn't mean that wouldn't tip him out for Alonso.

Edit: I hope he can win the Championship for that Lewis and Vettel dont

prydey
23rd August 2017, 05:47 PM
I'm hopeful that Honda can get themselves up the front, and maybe even Renault. The sport needs the manufacturers to stay involved.

TS50
23rd August 2017, 06:55 PM

Isnt Bottas only on a one year deal?

FTe217
24th August 2017, 09:03 AM
I'm hopeful that Honda can get themselves up the front, and maybe even Renault. The sport needs the manufacturers to stay involved.

This is the huge question in the future, I agree.
Renault looking like its ramping up its investment which is good.
Porsche pulled out of LMP1 to invest into FormulaE, this is the area of concern regards to F1.

prydey
24th August 2017, 10:06 AM
Porsche pulled out of LMP1 to invest into FormulaE, this is the area of concern regards to F1.

Formula E is starting to become a bit of a problem, as they are becoming the more relevant technology. I believe MB are also looking to join that circus.

I think i read somewhere that Brawn said it would be silly for F1 to go too far down the hybrid/electric path as there would be too much overlap with Formula E. They should stick with the formula of making fast cars that sound good. A fair argument i thought.

TS50
24th August 2017, 10:09 AM
Formula E is starting to become a bit of a problem, as they are becoming the more relevant technology. I believe MB are also looking to join that circus.

I think i read somewhere that Brawn said it would be silly for F1 to go too far down the hybrid/electric path as there would be too much overlap with Formula E. They should stick with the formula of making fast cars that sound good. A fair argument i thought.
They havent done that for a while, made them sound good i mean

4Vman
24th August 2017, 10:10 AM

There's going to be push-back at some point and an equilibrium met.

I wouldn't attend the GP if i couldn't enjoy the entire theater of experience, the sound of electric motors humming leaves me cold...

TS50
24th August 2017, 10:24 AM
There's going to be push-back at some point and an equilibrium met.

I wouldn't attend the GP if i couldn't enjoy the entire theater of experience, the sound of electric motors humming leaves me cold...

At least you can talk, or they could play music through the PA so you can rock while you watch?

FTe217
24th August 2017, 10:39 AM
Correct Rob, Brawn has a massive job ahead keeping F1 relevant to its roots so to speak that I have faith in him tbh......
Interestingly Bernie had quoted in the interview I read that he wished the current motors were not given the OK, too expensive he quoted hence why MB Ferrari are the only ones really competing for the wins.
The sound is not the best but as mentioned give me any sound compared to buzzzing E.

4Vman
24th August 2017, 11:02 AM
At least you can talk, or they could play music through the PA so you can rock while you watch?

Id rather suffer temporary industrial deafness from the shrill of a V10 @ 18000rpm then listen to a Lee Kernaghan or Katie Perry.....

FTe217
24th August 2017, 11:03 AM
bah lol.....could add in countless more so called singers of today but too many to type.

Paxton
24th August 2017, 12:31 PM
Id rather suffer temporary industrial deafness from the shrill of a V10 @ 18000rpm then listen to a Lee Kernaghan or Katie Perry.....

Sad to say, I reckon there is a zero percent chance we will go back to those days...

If anything they will take the Formula 2 V8 engine as a base (or keep the V6 abomination).

The BMW Williams cars still make my hairs stand on end.

4Vman
24th August 2017, 12:55 PM
Sad to say, I reckon there is a zero percent chance we will go back to those days...

If anything they will take the Formula 2 V8 engine as a base (or keep the V6 abomination).

The BMW Williams cars still make my hairs stand on end.

Its sad but you're right.

Doesn't seem to matter what category of Motorsport you want to pick, outside of NASCAR every single class advancement in technology has led to a significant reduction in aural pleasure and entertainment to go with it.

Paxton
24th August 2017, 01:29 PM
Its sad but you're right.

Doesn't seem to matter what category of Motorsport you want to pick, outside of NASCAR every single class advancement in technology has led to a significant reduction in aural pleasure and entertainment to go with it.

It is the same with passenger cars though. The cars pre Fuel Injection had a completely different sound and experience compared with cars after fuel injection. Think about a Cleveland Falcon compared to an EB Windsor or even a 250 compared to the EF I6. Technology moves on but not always for the best.

Elks
24th August 2017, 02:57 PM
At least you can talk, or they could play NASCAR V8's through PA so you can smile while you watch?

Fixed

Randel
24th August 2017, 09:45 PM
Sorry to go off thread/topic, but talking about the sounds of Motorsport - man I love Top Fuel.... they are frigging awesome - motors tinkering on the edge of absolute explosion and destroying themselves, to hear and FEEL the shockwave hit you.... now those drivers have some big kahunas!! I know, I know - they dont corner or anything, but far out they are crazy!

4Vman
2nd September 2017, 08:42 AM
Dan 20 grid penalty, such a retarded rule.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport/formula-one/f1-daniel-ricciardo-raced-to-beat-italian-gp-gridpenalty-rivals-out-of-pit-lane-to-start-practice/news-story/986231102783ad6ab7024dccb70e8009

TS50
2nd September 2017, 12:10 PM
Dan 20 grid penalty, such a retarded rule.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport/formula-one/f1-daniel-ricciardo-raced-to-beat-italian-gp-gridpenalty-rivals-out-of-pit-lane-to-start-practice/news-story/986231102783ad6ab7024dccb70e8009
i agree, Alonso has had the most grid penalties, something lime 300 grid spots a year
Where is the encouragement to challenge the top teams?
Another stupid rule that will kill F1

prydey
2nd September 2017, 12:25 PM
if there were no penalties, the top teams would just throw new components at their cars every race. it's to curb the costs involved. I agree the current system seems to penalise the drivers too heavily for a team infringement, but they need some sort of system in place.

The system isn't as bad as what it looks like. The grid penalties don't carry over to subsequent races, so as soon as the penalty accumulates enough to put you at the back of the grid, then the teams just swap any suspect item knowing a 20 grid place penalty and a 50 grid place penalty are the same in reality. I believe teams were choosing to 'use' extra components to build up their 'bank' for the rest of the season and get all the penalties out the way in one event.

TS50
2nd September 2017, 01:47 PM
if there were no penalties, the top teams would just throw new components at their cars every race. it's to curb the costs involved. I agree the current system seems to penalise the drivers too heavily for a team infringement, but they need some sort of system in place.

The system isn't as bad as what it looks like. The grid penalties don't carry over to subsequent races, so as soon as the penalty accumulates enough to put you at the back of the grid, then the teams just swap any suspect item knowing a 20 grid place penalty and a 50 grid place penalty are the same in reality. I believe teams were choosing to 'use' extra components to build up their 'bank' for the rest of the season and get all the penalties out the way in one event.
but this system is actually penalising the lower place teams, not the top ones
Look at all the penalties thrown at Honda, the logic would be, why am i involved
I understand why its there, but as a spectator, i find it stupid

4Vman
2nd September 2017, 02:07 PM

Deduct teams championship points or fine teams. Give them 1 engine a race, i don't know.

But heading into a race knowing your favorite driver has no chance even before hitting the track disenfranchises fans.

prydey
2nd September 2017, 03:09 PM
but this system is actually penalising the lower place teams, not the top ones
Look at all the penalties thrown at Honda, the logic would be, why am i involved
I understand why its there, but as a spectator, i find it stupid

i wouldn't say Honda, budget wise, is ranked as a lower place team. They are suffering due to trying to catch up to ferrari and mercedes powerplants, and poor reliability is a side effect of them pushing development. The lower ranked teams actually manage to stay within the regs reasonably well as far as powertrain usage goes.

i agree from a fan's perspective its not great, and the system isn't perfect, but its a necessary evil to try to keep the big spenders in check.

Deduct teams championship points or fine teams. Give them 1 engine a race, i don't know.

But heading into a race knowing your favorite driver has no chance even before hitting the track disenfranchises fans.

deducting points also has down sides. why should the team lose points that they have gained legitimately at a different event, just because a part on their car failed? Fines don't work, as the rich teams just see it as part of their expenses.

Most of the time, the teams only decide to make the big changes that incur multiple grid spot penalties at events that wouldn't suit them anyway. yes, its no good for the fans, and hopefully this side of the sport changes in the future with Chase Carey in charge, but it was all about forcing the teams to reduce spending.

FTe217
4th September 2017, 10:40 AM
Well, was always going happen.
Knew the MB would be faster full stop.
I wished the tifosi threw some paint bombs or something at prat mind you.
If we don't find more speed its 2nd fiddle - gonna be a edgy next few races for the run home with 7 left.

TS50
4th September 2017, 12:01 PM
Dan definitely keeps you interested in F1
He is simply awesome
He has skill daring and personality
probably more than the rest of the drivers put together

4Vman
4th September 2017, 12:04 PM
Dan definitely keeps you interested in F1
He is simply awesome
He has skill daring and personality
probably more than the rest of the drivers put together

That's true but how many people would know after the farce that was the lead up to yesterdays race.

Most won't have bothered watching given all the pre race penalties which kind of makes the whole thing pointless because without fans watching or attending you go broke.....

TS50
4th September 2017, 12:07 PM
That's true but how many people would know after the farce that was the lead up to yesterdays race.

Most won't have bothered watching given all the pre race penalties which kind of makes the whole thing pointless because without fans watching or attending you go broke.....

Exactally, Alonso had another 35 place grid penalty (in a field of 22 that is good)
I agree this is all a farce
Its ridiculous when you hear that MB turn down the tune in their engines, to save the wear for later races, before half distance, because they are so far in front. Then all the other teams are ripping the guts out of theirs to try and keep up

I know what F1 are trying to do, but its not working
Its just a joke

4Vman
4th September 2017, 12:12 PM
Exactally, Alonso had another 35 place grid penalty (in a field of 22 that is good)
I agree this is all a farce
Its ridiculous when you hear that MB turn down the tune in their engines, to save the wear for later races, before half distance, because they are so far in front. Then all the other teams are ripping the guts out of theirs to try and keep up

I know what F1 are trying to do, but its not working
Its just a joke

Cost containment has never worked successfully.

Teams will spend what they can to find an advantage, even if you engineer in simplicity or parity teams will simply deploy avaliable R+D funds into other areas.

Supercars: COTF introduced to cost contain, Nek Minut 50% more expensive then the cars it replaced.

F1: Cap power plants, Nek Minut teams just invest heavily in reliability.

Still spending the same amount of money whether its in one area or another.

FTe217
4th September 2017, 01:16 PM
and this is todays sport going to market lol......
I agree it sucks.

TS50
4th September 2017, 01:40 PM
and this is todays sport going to market lol......
I agree it sucks.

see we should be talking how good Dan was etc, but instead we are talking about stupid rules

FTe217
4th September 2017, 02:16 PM
Dan in a ferrari after next season :) its his bloodline.
Horner must be fapping to get more out of the RB's.

The ongoing modern rule changes in F1 have been in the dogs for some 10yrs but I just have to run along with it as I have with stupidcars as well purely driven by passion.
motogp still has alot of raw dicing though the field but guess one of the main reasons why Casey opted out ? too much tech aiding the average rider and more so the direction the sport was going due to modern age.
Its either you got the talent/skill to tame the beast - thats racing as it once was therefore the cream did bubble to the top and not win title by podiums etcetc....

TS50
4th September 2017, 02:33 PM
If Dan goes red, I just dont know what i will do

I think its more likely and Max will be red tho

FTe217
4th September 2017, 03:54 PM
Just as I am backing the brand/car not pettel per say you back the man not the brand, easy science mate.
I like Max but Ferrari would think the same, he's too up and down, they are not the types to sign a driver unless consistent and Dan has experience/age and runs on the board makes sense no/capish :)

TS50
5th September 2017, 09:25 AM
https://drivetribe.com/p/f1s-grid-penalties-are-making-the-d1cKW3g0T8Svot83-ZXz5g?iid=WQe_LBaYQOmLOAKzGe8Z_Q&utm_campaign=main+&utm_medium=fb&utm_source=organic

F1'S GRID PENALTIES ARE MAKING THE SPORT LOOK SILLY

Tiff Needell posted in
HOME OF F1

Monza was shaping up to be a brilliant weekend. Lewis Hamilton was at his sublime best in qualifying with the two Red Bulls snapping at his heels, Daniel Ricciardo running just a fraction behind Max Verstappen.

The real surprise though came from the two youngsters, Lance Stroll and Esteban Ocon, who had split the usual top six as Valtteri Bottas and the Ferrari boys struggled to stay on the pace.

The rain meant they were lapping over 10 seconds slower than last year, but no one seemed to notice. In fact it was possible to marvel at the drivers' brilliant control as the cars snapped sideways only to be reigned back in by deft touches of corrective lock.

It was spellbinding – until it dried out and the officials sent nearly half the field spiralling to the back of the pack!

Yes, this was yet another weekend that proved you don’t need cars to be going faster around the corners to be more entertaining, and you don’t want to send the best talent to the back of the grid because they’ve had an issue with their MGU-K shaft, or whatever the problem might be.

Okay, it mixed up the grid and produced another great fightback from the wonderful Ricciardo, and that may well please those who seem to want the pinnacle of our sport to be turned into some sort of glorified BTCC with reverse grids and weight penalties. Personally, I’d much rather have seen the Red Bulls and the Ferraris going head-to-head at the front.

They’d only have been scrapping over third of course, with the Mercedes team benefitting from an engine upgrade that left them streaks ahead down the straights. Conveniently, Merc hadn’t found time to supply their customers with such units; armed with the latest spec, both Stroll and Ocon might have been trickier for the recovering Bottas to overhaul, but the youngsters nevertheless put in a spirited race-long display in their battle for best of the rest.

Stroll seemed to have rediscovered his Baku form and I still have no idea how good or how average this young man is. Indeed, partnered by Massa, who’s in pension mode, it’s hard to tell how good or how average this year’s Williams is. In the dry Massa has out qualified Stroll 10 to 1 and often by more than the acceptable gap of 0.3 seconds that nowadays defines the difference between brilliant and just very good.

It’s fair to say that Lance looked like a natural in his first wet qualifying session, happily sliding his Williams around the Parabolica and setting the fourth fastest time – a full 1.3 seconds faster than Massa!

But we know Massa doesn’t like low grip conditions very much these days, so what does that tell us? To me it’s more that the Williams is occasionally finding conditions where it is an exceptional chassis. If I was on their team I’d be wondering just where the car might be with a real star behind the wheel.

At Ferrari the Kimster seems to have once again gone off the boil with another year’s contract in his pocket, while Fernando Alonso turned his attentions from embarrassing Honda to a personal vendetta against Jolyon Palmer, who he rudely shoved wide for the second race running – even if, according to the letter of the law, he did nothing wrong.

Nor did I agree that Verstappen’s very late move in front of Kevin Magnussen was entirely correct as the Dane looked to brake later into a gap that had been ahead of him. Technically Max was in front – by about one inch – but you shouldn’t be allowed to move so dramatically so late.

So, another average sort of show before we head to the exotic backdrop of Singapore where, if you watch FP1 or FP3, I think the circuit looks far more dramatic in the daylight! Mercedes are convinced Ferrari will be back on form around the streets, but I reckon the Hamilton wagon is on a roll.

TS50
5th September 2017, 09:27 AM
Couldn't agree more Tiff

FTe217
5th September 2017, 10:13 AM
yep, can't argue with article.
F1 has always had puppeteers but the way things have turned out now its ridiculous.
This is why also that I find pratt an absolute joke as the show goes on.
Seriously without Ferrari resurgence of late its a cake walk for MB, as mentioned they develop a new power upgrade but none of their customers get it, thats a given Ferrari and other would do the same to shove down the advantage but it's sickening this pratt taking records away from previous top steerers who at least had more opposition.
His own opposition last season came from Nico thankfully, he's walked.
He had Button covered all those other years and hardly any opposition, a cake walk.
pettel is the only one who can contest this season but unless they find more speed this could get fugly.
pratt, an absolute arse of a champ, I could admire respect anyone else who stepped up taking titles from Ferrari (like Senna Piquets/Mansells for eg, I just had to admire them in time) but this guy make me sik.

Elks
5th September 2017, 10:20 AM
If Dan goes red, I just dont know what i will do

I think its more likely and Max will be red tho

Max can't go, his contract has a longer to go I read. Dan's now lines up with Kimi's extra year.

I'd love to see Dan go to Ferrari, it would be good for the sport (Although not Lygon Street), But mostly because I could see him hand Pettel his own ass a 2nd time.

TS50
5th September 2017, 10:25 AM
yep, can't argue with article.
F1 has always had puppeteers but the way things have turned out now its ridiculous.
This is why also that I find pratt an absolute joke as the show goes on.
Seriously without Ferrari resurgence of late its a cake walk for MB, as mentioned they develop a new power upgrade but none of their customers get it, thats a given Ferrari and other would do the same to shove down the advantage but it's sickening this pratt taking records away from previous top steerers who at least had more opposition.
His own opposition last season came from Nico thankfully, he's walked.
He had Button covered all those other years and hardly any opposition, a cake walk.
pettel is the only one who can contest this season but unless they find more speed this could get fugly.
pratt, an absolute arse of a champ, I could admire respect anyone else who stepped up taking titles from Ferrari (like Senna Piquets/Mansells for eg, I just had to admire them in time) but this guy make me sik.

wow, my opinion exactally, that is scary Maurie

FTe217
5th September 2017, 11:46 AM
if a team wish's to buy out remainder of Max's or anyone's contract it happens as we know.
I'd love to see DR in my Red cars - long time coming seeing an Aussie in The Premium marque of the game.

Now you Sloooow down please, I'll give you a slap when you least expect it :)

Elks
6th September 2017, 11:31 AM
if a team wish's to buy out remainder of Max's or anyone's contract it happens as we know.
I'd love to see DR in my Red cars - long time coming seeing an Aussie in The Premium marque of the game.

Now you Sloooow down please, I'll give you a slap when you least expect it :)

Why would you have Max when you could have Dan? Sure max is quick, but he's also a bit Captain Chaos and for a reason they wont discuss keeps having failures. Dan did say in the telecast they have even overlayed His and Max's data to see if is driving style was a factor. He said it wasn't, but stopped smiling at that point. Me thinks Dan was telling porkies to take the team line.

Also after the drive at Monza wowee why wouldn't you want him.

The issue is Pettel's contract, with vito of co-driver and #1 Status.

TS50
6th September 2017, 11:39 AM
Why would you have Max when you could have Dan? Sure max is quick, but he's also a bit Captain Chaos and for a reason they wont discuss keeps having failures. Dan did say in the telecast they have even overlayed His and Max's data to see if is driving style was a factor. He said it wasn't, but stopped smiling at that point. Me thinks Dan was telling porkies to take the team line.

Would be a mistake of Dan to go to Ferrari if he wasnt going as a equal no 1
and Ferrrari are not good at sharing their toys with the second driver

FTe217
6th September 2017, 03:32 PM

You should re read what I've posted in the past.
Ofcourse Max wouldn't be considered, he's hot and cold.
and as I said, any contract get bought out if still not at useby date all I'm saying.

By that time comes for the BIG F pettel is nearing end of career, unless he wins, pettel has a stick if not he won't have the same clout as he currently has, 2019 is a long way off and plenty can will occur - capish :)

Elks
8th September 2017, 04:01 PM
Would be a mistake of Dan to go to Ferrari if he wasnt going as a equal no 1
and Ferrrari are not good at sharing their toys with the second driver

Dan has said categorically he will not go there or anywhere to be #2. He wants to win championships. That was taken as a clear message to Ferrari that he has to be #1 or at least equal footing in equal equipment. Or he can just stay put. There are realistically only 5 team that have a chance at producing a champion.

1. Mercedes
2. Ferrari
3. Red Bull
4. Williams
5. McLaren (if/when they get an engine)

And the last 2 of those are marginal. And Dan is already effectively #1 at the 3rd team.

The hard part is working out who is going to have the winning combo in 2019.

Elks
13th September 2017, 12:56 PM
McLaren switches from Honda to Renault

http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/09/13/mclaren-switches-honda-renault/

Speedcafe.com
By SPEEDCAFE.COM
WEDNESDAY 13TH SEPTEMBER, 2017 - 9:18AM
SHARE:

Fernando Alonso driving a McLaren Honda at Monza
McLaren has sealed termination of its engine supply deal with Honda and will run Renault powerplants in 2018, according to reports.
McLaren’s agreement with Renault is believed to be for the three years to the end of the current Formula 1 engine regulations cycle in 2020, according to Autosport.
The split comes after a shocking return to the championship for Honda, which has supplied McLaren since 2015.
The relationship has become so fractious during 2017 that it became clear a split was likely, with Renault emerging as McLaren’s only realistic alternative.
It is understood that the deal will see McLaren get parity on power unit specification with the works Renault team and fellow customer Red Bull.
Scuderia Toro Rosso’s switch from Renault to Honda, freeing up supply for McLaren, has also been signed.
The McLaren-Renault deal has helped move Fernando Alonso closer to signing a potentially multi-year extension to his original 2015-17 contract with the team.
Reports have also suggested that Carlos Sainz Jr will move from STR to the factory Renault team as an incentive to end that engine contract early, although it is not yet clear when the Spaniard will make the switch.
Sainz has been linked to making the move before the end of this season, but it is understood that STR is keen to hang onto him for the rest of the campaign to boost its own hopes in the constructors’ championship.
Ricciardo: Singapore will offer victory chance

Elks
13th September 2017, 01:02 PM
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/porsche-poised-red-bull-buyout

The rumours are gathering apace: Porsche is to enter Formula 1 from 2021, after purchasing the Red Bull team and making engines fitting to the new formula set to be introduced that year.

No one is yet confirming or denying. But it makes a lot of sense. Red Bull might consider that its F1 programme of the last decade has achieved its marketing aims and that it no longer needs the vast expense of running an F1 team (or even two of them). It could continue as a sponsor to the works Porsche team and benefit from that association, but without anything like the same current spend.

The rumours have it that the team will continue to be run by Christian Horner from the same base as currently and hopefully still with the same Adrian Newey-led technical team. The team would simply change ownership and acquire proper works engine status from one of the world’s most prestigious automotive brands. Weissach and Milton Keynes would be connected in much the same way as Enstone and Viry currently are for Renault.

It would be a fantastic coup for F1 and Liberty to have Porsche on board as a full works F1 team for the first time since 1962 (although it provided the title-winning TAG-Porsches to McLaren 1984-87 as well as the less successful V12 to Arrows in 1991). It would also give Red Bull the potential to return to the title-winning pomp it enjoyed during the frozen spec naturally-aspirated era.

Mark Webber, an ex-Red Bull and Porsche driver and who has previously partnered Horner in junior team ownership, could be a link man between the two organisations. Both Brendon Hartley and Neel Jani have Red Bull connections, the former still a Red Bull athlete while the latter was Toro Rosso's third driver in 2006. Red Bull’s Helmut Marko also won Le Mans in a Porsche 917 in 1971.

Elks
13th September 2017, 01:03 PM
Red Bull’s Helmut Marko also won Le Mans in a Porsche 917 in 1971.

Now there is something I didn't know.

TS50
14th September 2017, 09:23 AM
Bottas to remain at MB for 2018

http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/09/13/mercedes-renews-bottas-second-season/

Mercedes renews Bottas for second season
Speedcafe.com
By SPEEDCAFE.COM
WEDNESDAY 13TH SEPTEMBER, 2017 - 9:30PM
SHARE:

Valtteri Bottas will continue as team-mate to Lewis Hamilton in 2018
Valtteri Bottas will continue to race for Mercedes in 2018, the team has announced.
The Finn was a late call-up to the Silver Arrows after the shock retirement of then newly crowned world champion Nico Rosberg.
His deal at the time was only for a single year, and that has been repeated under his new contract at the Brackley squad.
“I am honoured and proud to continue to work with Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport in 2018 and to remain part of the Mercedes family,” said Bottas.
“Since joining the team in January, I’ve enjoyed every day working with them. The welcome and the support from every team member and all the fans has been invaluable.
“As a driver, I’ve been able to learn and grow massively, and we have already enjoyed some really good moments this season that I will never forget.
“Partnering Lewis (Hamilton) has also been really good, and I’m enjoying the respect we have and the will to push this team forward together.
“When the team hired me for the 2017 season, they took a leap of faith by putting their trust in my skills. This new contract for 2018 shows that I’ve earned that trust.
“I’m happy to have celebrated my first race wins in a Silver Arrow. However, there’s always room for improvement and I still have not shown my full potential.
“I will continue to work hard on and off the track, to further improve my driving, get even better results and show that putting their trust in me was the right decision.”
The 28-year-old is currently third in the world drivers’ championship, behind Hamilton and Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel, having secured his first two Formula 1 race wins and first two poles this year.
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says the extension is a just reward for Bottas’ progress this year.
“We gave Valtteri a big challenge this year: joining the team at the eleventh hour, stepping up to the forefront of F1 and pairing with the sport’s best driver as his team-mate,” noted Wolff.
“With that in mind, his results have been probably even more impressive.
“There have been ups and downs – more ups, fewer downs – and some great highlights like his two race wins in Russia and Austria.
“Overall, the balance of his performances and his upward trajectory made it a no-brainer for us to continue with him into 2018.”
The timing of the contract does, however, mean that both of Mercedes’ drivers and Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen will come off contract at the same time as Daniel Ricciardo.
Ricciardo has stated in recent days that Red Bull Racing must improve significantly to keep him beyond his current deal, which expires at the end of 2018.

FTe217
14th September 2017, 09:25 AM
no brainer.
Sure does make things interesting come mid '18 in driver shifts for '19on.

FTe217
17th September 2017, 08:32 AM
SGP quali last night.
I do find it strange watching the game at night - wonders what the drivers think.
Some great rear camera angles of the cars pushing the limits just touching walls.
RB are on it fellas.
I actually thought Max was going to get pole then again Kimi was pulling some times as well.
DR close but pettel pulls out a screamer gaining pole.
pettel Max front row lol......
DR Kimi 2nd.
MB 3rd row :)
Alonso 4th row his team mate behind. Making Q3 for the 3rd time this season just when they announced the Renault change haha

prydey
17th September 2017, 09:39 AM
Making Q3 for the 3rd time this season just when they announced the Renault change haha

only at non power circuits, and they still fail to make full power for an entire GP.

As the biggest engine manufacturer in the world, Honda has surprised a few people with their lack of progress over 3 years. At least they have re committed to the sport so that there remains 4 power unit suppliers for the next few years.

cracker lap by vettel. I'm sure his only other fan (his mum, according to this site) enjoyed it as well. Hopefully he can go on to win, and keep both redbulls and kimi between himself and Hamilton.

FTe217
17th September 2017, 05:56 PM
I know Rob, I just fill in breifly for the guys who don't watch it anymore.
Your right about Honda, its very very surprising them not working things out - knowing how involved and determined they are re 2wheels baffles me.
Their honour would be suffering here - I really hope they sort themselves out in the future.

Looking forward to this race but already stressing anything can happen - fingers crossed.

prydey
17th September 2017, 09:59 PM
Wet start. This will likely make red bull untouchable. Not sure if the rain is likely to stick around.

TS50
17th September 2017, 10:19 PM
wow, i am glad dan missed the start, if he had got a good one, he would have been involved too

4Vman
18th September 2017, 06:32 AM
wow, i am glad dan missed the start, if he had got a good one, he would have been involved too

Strategy....

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/21641663_10215554992805591_556264757_n.jpg?oh=c1d6 8dee3a1876e60e9abff51d04aef4&oe=59C1A8A7

TS50
18th September 2017, 08:39 AM
apart from turn 1 lap 1, pretty boring race
Surprised at lack of pace from Dan, or was it pace from Hamilton no one was expecting
Dan definitely had no answers for the pace of the PRatt, tho he had Bottas covered easily

prydey
18th September 2017, 08:59 AM
Surprised at lack of pace from Dan,

apparently he was nursing a gearbox problem for the entire race, although he refused to say that cost him victory. he did say that the conditions for the race were quite a bit different to friday and saturday and if they'd had a different setup he would have been more competitive.

DR: Yeah, that was probably the most frustrating thing. I mean frustrating not to get that first win here. I think it’s three years in a row with second now. Normally I’m happy with a podium, obviously it’s great. It’s more that we didn't have the pace that we showed on Friday in the long run. We just struggled to look after the tyres. Just felt like when I was able to punch out a good lap time, I couldn’t really maintain it, where Lewis could answer and then answer again. So it felt like every time we matched his pace we were taking more out of the tyre. We had a couple of little issues as well. I had to manage the car in some situations with the gearbox and that, but ultimately I don’t think it changed the shape of the race. I don’t think that was the reason we were second and not first. I have an idea, if we were to do the race again, how to set up the car differently. I feel something we did on the car it would have helped if we went the other way for how the track conditions were, but it was fun nonetheless, you know the beginning, never going around here really in the wet. As Lewis touched on, the lines are so slippery. Even the painted lines that are black, they don’t seem like they are line but they are underneath the dark paint and the car kind of slides, grips, slides, grips and just really tricky, Just I guess still happy to come away with a podium. It’s not a win but I’ll be grateful and still happy with second.

FTe217
18th September 2017, 05:45 PM
Ofcourse, without Ferrari's it is boring as :)
I walked away, did emails and checked up now and then.
Track wouldn't dry for ages drivers were saying, humidity and all.
Well prat can virtually just driver for podiums now, maybe a gremlin may turn up or Max could do us a favour and focus on MB's :)
pettel went across more than he needed, I don't blame Max as such but I wonder would he have registered/known when he shifted left that Kimi was all over him.
Anyway whats done is done.Overall good for the minnows such as williams/mclaren :) and the rest being up the pecking order in a race due to lots of attrition.

FTe217
23rd October 2017, 09:06 AM
Well, its pretty much over.
The season showing so much promise turned to crap and that prick pretty much walks it in.
On the USA gp, never really cared/liked a USGP.
It just doesn't suit the game.

prydey
23rd October 2017, 03:44 PM
Yep, Singapore aside, Hamilton been in class of one since the mid season break.

Ferrari have pace but just not quite enough. Great drive by both Ferraris.

Super drive by verstappen. 16th on the grid, to 3rd!

Paxton
23rd November 2017, 07:41 PM
The rumours of Kubica replacing Massa at Williams keeps gaining momentum. I really hope he gets there. With Martini, Williams have the best looking cars on the track, and presuming their deal that one driver must be aged over 25, Kubica seems to be a shoe-in.

Dan has a big decision to make - does he jump ship to Ferrari/Mercedes, or become like Mark Weber and finish out his career as the number 2 driver at Red Bull?

FTe217
2nd February 2018, 07:51 AM
Should re title 2018 F1.
A few days old but no one posted here re the new vision by F1.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/1/formula-1-to-stop-using-

Paxton
16th April 2018, 06:29 AM
Wrong Thread.

TS50
16th April 2018, 07:08 PM
Wrong Thread.

close tho