PDA

View Full Version : Win Percy Interview

TS50
3rd August 2016, 07:33 PM
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/august-2013/94/lunch-win-percy

Walkinshaw had the Holden Special Vehicles road car operation in Melbourne, and wanted Win to set up and manage a Holden Racing Team, and drive for it. The high point came that first year with a prestigious victory in the Bathurst 1000, Australia's 620-mile classic on the demanding Mount Panorama road circuit, sharing with Aussie Allan Grice. "When I phoned Tom after the race and told him we'd won, he went absolutely quiet. Then he said, 'Is there any way they can dump the car?' Which meant, could it fail post-race scrutineering? I said, 'There isn't a scrutineer in the world who can fault that car.' Because I knew that if I, the Pom, was found to be remotely iffy in any way I'd be flung out at once. Some of the other cars were trying all sorts, gas under the seat, nitrous in the turbo for qualifying. We took them all on with a clean car, and we won."

Wow
So Win Percy was saying everyone else but him was cheating the year they won Bathurst

Never did like Him or Tom W

4Vman
3rd August 2016, 07:40 PM
They all had "questionable" cars...

EG: DJ's XD was "wrongly" homologated at 6cyl weight.

The story's are endless.

TS50
3rd August 2016, 07:41 PM
But gas under the seat?
Nitrotious injection into turbos?

4Vman
3rd August 2016, 07:43 PM
But gas under the seat?
Nitrotious injection into turbos?

Brock ran CO2 across the intercooler on the Sierra to drop inlet temps during qualifying!!!

Got busted too.

4Vman
3rd August 2016, 07:44 PM
Great thread by the way, i'll try and get Nick to share some stories!!!

TS50
3rd August 2016, 07:52 PM
Bloody hell, how naive am i?

4Vman
3rd August 2016, 08:05 PM
Bloody hell, how naive am i?

Les Small (Built Grices cars and engines) was telling me in the 80's they could get the 308/304's to rev to nearly 8000rpm all day without starving the mains while the others couldn't because of oil starvation from a small sump.

Had HDT scratching their heads.

He later revealed they put pipe cleaners in the pushrods to restrict oil flow to the top end! LOL

4Vman
3rd August 2016, 08:21 PM
Pretty sure Moff got pinged at Sandown? for running roller rockers too..

Nick?! LOL

Trevor
4th August 2016, 06:58 AM
there were rumours that Moffat had helium in the roll cage

4Vman
4th August 2016, 07:05 AM
there were rumours that Moffat had helium in the roll cage

Not sure what that would do?

project 064
10th August 2016, 09:12 AM
Not sure what that would do?

That would make Moff talk in a higher pitched voice, it's party balloon gas.
Trev might be "taking the piss" out of you.:highly_amused:

WASP
10th August 2016, 12:42 PM
LOL, talk about Wacky Racers

http://www.dan-dare.org/Dan%20FRD/MeanMachineAni.gif