PDA

View Full Version : Only in Western Australia.

project 064
20th July 2016, 06:34 AM
Hi guys, I am finally back in the land of the living, we have serious Internet issue's at work.
I don't know whether Randel or Road _Warrior have mentioned this disturbing news, to you guys yet.

We have a "Driver Education" facility right next to Perth Airport, it has a skid pad, a 2 .kilometre long "track" & corporate entertainment facilities.
It is used by local car clubs as well, who have "race days" & timed laps as well.
This place is booming, because as most of you would have guessed, it is no way indebted to Cams for anything, which makes racing cheaper for those that participate.

Somebody has launched a noise complaint about the facility, which is only open between 8.00 am & 5.00pm, I am not too sure if it is open to the public 7 days a week, but that should not matter, as the Airport is open 24 hours a day, & Forrestfield marshalling yards, which are just across the road, is open 24 hours, 7 days a week as well.

The location is in an Industrial area, where the major trucking companies have their arrival/distribution centres as well.
I cannot comprehend, how anybody could complain about the noise level of this facility, when it is situated between an Airport, a major Rail Terminal, & the major Trucking Terminal for all East West transport operations?

How serious is this issue ?
Well it has now gone to the Federal Government, regarding noise pollution laws, apparently the complainants do not hear train drivers tooting their loco's horns, or the noisy 727 "three holers" that Toll & other Air freight companies use for their "Air Express" overnight services, to & from the East Coast. Nor do they hear the screech of the International Airlines, as they wash off speed & descend into Perth International Airport, very early in the morning.

Somehow a "Driver Education" facility, that is mainly used on week ends, is causing endless noise complaints, for local residents, that are oblivious as to what else is going on around them?
The complaints are that serious, that the facility is not taking anymore event bookings, & the owners are warning off imminent closure, & shutdown.

I visited the facility at least 12 years ago, it is not a "hoon show", they have rules, if you or your car do not comply with the rules, well, there is the gate, don't come back.
Seriously, if this place closes, there is no other place in Perth for young people to have fun with their cars, as Barbagallo is in the same boat as well, with increasing noise complaints, & no plans for track extension, due to the encroaching housing situation.
Oh well, I might take up lawn bowls now.:argh:

Trevor
20th July 2016, 08:16 AM
Sounds pretty standard, I used to work for a driver training business and they had complaints from neighbours who had built there after the 1974 establishment date of the facility

Winton Raceway, which is about 10k's out of Benalla gets complaints, I personally (as the Clerk of Course) got to hear a couple of them first hand as I was approached as the 'senior' person on site at the time

Good to see they don't use CAMS, CAMS are nothing but blockers for this type of stuff, I was lucky to be on the Committee of Benalla Auto Club - BAC (owners of Winton Raceway and Wakefield Park Raceway) when it was decided to start AASA as a direct competitor to CAMS, last I heard they (AASA) were actually sanctioning more events than CAMS - LOL. The CEO of Winton Mick Ronke, Bob Jane and John Tetley (Manager of Queensland Raceway and Lakeside Raceways) were the inaugural Directors of AASA, now days it is run wholly as a subsidiary company of BAC, Winton and WP are also subsidiary companies of BAC as is the Managment Company employed to run both raceways

flappist
20th July 2016, 08:41 AM
I suspect you will find that the complaint is not actually due to the noise rather the complainant does not like "hoon training".
The world is full of whingers....

Road_Warrior
20th July 2016, 08:42 AM
LOL local residents, what local residents?? It's in the middle of an industrial area!! On airport zoned land!!

4Vman
20th July 2016, 08:48 AM
From previous encounters at motorsport venues its clear that the participants at these venues aren't the issue.

Take Calder for eg, used to go out there on a friday night. You couldn't rock up in a shit box to race, it had to pass scrutineering.

At the end on the night people used to leave there and muck up all the way back to the city, but it wasn't the competitors doing it, it was the hanger onners and spectators in shit boxes who turn up to watch.

They wont pay the price or present their car in a fit state to race, it wont mater how many facilities you offer.

While ever there are strict rules for participation that cover worthiness of the car and guidelines for use of the facilities the idiots will stay on the streets.

Because half the fun is doing it illegally and getting away with it.

project 064
20th July 2016, 09:26 AM
LOL local residents, what local residents?? It's in the middle of an industrial area!! On airport zoned land!!

That's what had me scratching my big boof head? What local residents?:confused:

Road_Warrior
20th July 2016, 10:29 AM
From previous encounters at motorsport venues its clear that the participants at these venues aren't the issue.

Take Calder for eg, used to go out there on a friday night. You couldn't rock up in a shit box to race, it had to pass scrutineering.

At the end on the night people used to leave there and muck up all the way back to the city, but it wasn't the competitors doing it, it was the hanger onners and spectators in shit boxes who turn up to watch.

They wont pay the price or present their car in a fit state to race, it wont mater how many facilities you offer.

While ever there are strict rules for participation that cover worthiness of the car and guidelines for use of the facilities the idiots will stay on the streets.

Because half the fun is doing it illegally and getting away with it.

Thing is this place isn't a "motorsport" venue per se, it is a training track built by the RAC or it might have been AHG about 10 years ago. I used to do motorbike "tuning days" out there to sharpen cornering and braking skillz. There is no area for spectators (in fact from memory people weren't allowed to rock up and spectate, it was a place of business so there was no provision for spectators at all, just paying customers) so I cant see there being an issue with wannabes driving home afterwards dropping burnouts and so forth. This whole "complaint" seems like a crock.

project 064
20th July 2016, 11:12 AM
Thing is this place isn't a "motorsport" venue per se, it is a training track built by the RAC or it might have been AHG about 10 years ago. I used to do motorbike "tuning days" out there to sharpen cornering and braking skillz. There is no area for spectators (in fact from memory people weren't allowed to rock up and spectate, it was a place of business so there was no provision for spectators at all, just paying customers) so I cant see there being an issue with wannabes driving home afterwards dropping burnouts and so forth. This whole "complaint" seems like a crock.

I went there with the FPV/Tickford Club years ago, there is a grassed area in front of the buildings, that are used for driver/ training instruction. Spectators are allowed in this area only, & no, it is not open for general admission, if you are in the club that is utilising the facilities, you are allowed to attend the event. They allowed the various clubs to bring their BBQ's along to make it a family friendly event. Alcohol is strictly prohibited, that's fair enough as well. There is no housing around at all, access is via the road to the International Terminal, & T2 Terminal, then the Gateway Road to various parts of Perth. Nobody lives near the place, it is zoned Industrial Land?:confused:

andrewforbes
21st July 2016, 04:21 AM
Well, if ya in a industrial park, next to an airport n freight company there's not much the residents can do about it, but I guess it depends how much ya whinge n whether or not your a member or worker of a government departments to have ya whinge heard, the complaint shouldn't even reach federal level as it's council that set the zoneing laws. the only way federal would get involved is through the airport but seeing that's not an issue, I'm dumbfounded. Hopefully the council or someone has been out there to see the activities n do a decibel check. I still can't see why someone would complain being that operating hours are very reasonable, and wouldn't cause any late night shenanigans. Hopefully common sense prevails, maybe they could build a dirt wall opposite to the residents to help reduce what ever noise they r hearing. Sounds like someones being a dick just cause they have nothing else better to do.

project 064
21st July 2016, 10:14 AM
From what I have heard, they are offering to decibel test each & every car, before the track event, & during the track event.
Nobody noise checks the marshalling yards, or each & every Aircraft, as they arrive/ depart Perth Airport at all hours of the day & night?
Scratching my head, I believe High Wycombe would be the only suburb affected by noise, hence the reason for cheap home prices (for Perth) & an influx of new home owners.
I lived in Carlisle & Cloverdale, at various stages, you could see the faces of passengers looking out the windows as the Aircraft took off, then get the stench of Aviation Fuel on the older Aircraft.
It was no use complaining, you lived under the flight path, you knew the Airport was there, but to complain about noise from an Industrial Area?:confused:

Road_Warrior
21st July 2016, 10:47 AM
From what I have heard, they are offering to decibel test each & every car, before the track event, & during the track event.
Nobody noise checks the marshalling yards, or each & every Aircraft, as they arrive/ depart Perth Airport at all hours of the day & night?
Scratching my head, I believe High Wycombe would be the only suburb affected by noise, hence the reason for cheap home prices (for Perth) & an influx of new home owners.
I lived in Carlisle & Cloverdale, at various stages, you could see the faces of passengers looking out the windows as the Aircraft took off, then get the stench of Aviation Fuel on the older Aircraft.
It was no use complaining, you lived under the flight path, you knew the Airport was there, but to complain about noise from an Industrial Area?:confused:

Sounds to me like there might be one or two wowsers in that residential area that simply don't like car guys. Their mindset: modified cars = hoons.

I live under one of the flight paths for Perth airport and whilst you live to accept the aircraft noise, sometimes they take the piss.

FTe217
21st July 2016, 01:20 PM
One thing that could be behind closed doors is that the council has had a developer licking his lips and theirs for something having a far better ROI.
Never know.

Road_Warrior
21st July 2016, 01:25 PM
One thing that could be behind closed doors is that the council has had a developer licking his lips and theirs for something having a far better ROI.
Never know.

Council has no authority over any land in the airport boundaries. The airport "property" is actually huge, its all federal government property leased for 99 years to Perth Airports Corporation who in turn have sub-let commercial land around the airport for development.

project 064
21st July 2016, 01:45 PM
Do you remember the hoo haa, when someone suggested building a first class car racing facility around the vacant land of Perth Airport?
The facility was to include driver training track, a motor racing circuit, complete with modern facilities, & 5 star accommodation Hotels, ample parking for fans & Teams with their transporters.
It was knocked on the head because of "noise concerns".
Roland Dane was a supporter of this idea, as it avoided driving the Transporters, through narrow winding roads to get to Barbagallo, plus he thought W.A. Motorsport needed something better than the outdated facilities & track, that we presently have to endure.
Welcome to Perth, please set your watch back 2 hours & twenty years behind the rest of Australia.
Despite the riches we supposedly got from the last mining boom, Darwins Hidden Valley Motor Racing circuit, leaves Perth's Barbagallo facilities for dead.
WASSC, you guys have a lot of explaining to do!!!!:argh:

Road_Warrior
21st July 2016, 02:20 PM
Do you remember the hoo haa, when someone suggested building a first class car racing facility around the vacant land of Perth Airport?
The facility was to include driver training track, a motor racing circuit, complete with modern facilities, & 5 star accommodation Hotels, ample parking for fans & Teams with their transporters.
It was knocked on the head because of "noise concerns".
Roland Dane was a supporter of this idea, as it avoided driving the Transporters, through narrow winding roads to get to Barbagallo, plus he thought W.A. Motorsport needed something better than the outdated facilities & track, that we presently have to endure.
Welcome to Perth, please set your watch back 2 hours & twenty years behind the rest of Australia.
Despite the riches we supposedly got from the last mining boom, Darwins Hidden Valley Motor Racing circuit, leaves Perth's Barbagallo facilities for dead.
WASSC, you guys have a lot of explaining to do!!!!:argh:

Ah yes I remember that now. Something about an F1 standard track. There was another one out at Dowerin but the mob pushing it turned out to be full of shit.

There's a lobby group down in Albany pushing for a 'Motorplex' type setup with a dragstrip and circuit but they've been pushing it for a number of years now without success. That said, the 'Racewars' mob had just announced that the Racewars time trial event for next year will be held at Albany airport so who knows what impetus it might bring.

WASCC won't do anything that will jeopardise their control over their little racing empire. They fought upgrades to Barbagallo tooth and nail until V8 Supercars threatened to pull the V8 taxi round unless the pits were improved. That one weekend allows WASCC to keep the track open all year. It would have been "functus officio" for WASCC if that happened and would have given the government an excuse to close the track. As it stands now people complain about noise from Barbagallo; IIRC back in 2007-ish the scrutineers for the MCRCWA rounds cracked down on 'open' mufflers because of it.

It will be interesting to see, with the recent deaths at Barbs with motorcycle racers, if WASCC will buckle to pressure and improve the runoffs at turn 1 and turn 7.

FTe217
21st July 2016, 02:24 PM
yes ok thanks corrected not council, so PAC sub letted for development, like I said, there is always possibilities something is in the midst.