PDA

View Full Version : FG problems

prydey
29th April 2012, 05:37 PM
Lets start a thread in this community to tap into the wealth of knowledge that is out there, to help solve issues we may have with our great FG's from time to time.

My FG has been fantastic. I bought it 2nd hand with about 50000km on board and have barely had any real issues with it. have been to bris and back twice and clocked up nearly 25000km's in 18mnths. When i backed out of my carport yesterday i noticed a small patch of oil on the normally clean concrete. testing it with my fingers, it appears to be oil, and rather fresh looking too. not dirty. the oil patch on the concrete is where the rear of the car would be, and upon checking under the car, i notice there is drips on the diff. the diff isn't noisy at all. anyone had issues with leaking oil from the diff? the oil is clean, could it be from somewhere else at the rear? i couldn't think of anything. i haven't had time to get under and inspect further. hopefully its only a gasket or something. car ran out of warranty a year ago.

any help/assistance would be appreciated. obviously first i need to get under there and see exactly where its coming from.

flappist
2nd May 2012, 08:26 AM
You had not been driving really hard just before. My BA I used to own did that a couple of times. It was the diff getting really hot and the oil spilling out the overflow. Clean it with petrol and see if it comes back.

prydey
2nd May 2012, 03:23 PM
these days i rarely drive hard. 99% of the time i'm in grandma mode and the other 1% is a bit of a squirt here and there. i'll give it a clean and see if it comes back, but the fact that the patch on my carport floor is now about 10cm in diameter, i reckon its probably still leaking.

4Vman
2nd May 2012, 06:16 PM
Main issues for me have been noisy rear suspension, turns out its been the swaybar tie rods coming loose, its a common issue often confused to be diff bushes. Early on a powersteering hose leak but to be honest my FG has been the most reliable cheapest car to maintain ever. 60000 K's and still on original tyres and brake pads too.

Donut King
3rd May 2012, 08:38 PM
Only 2 issues with mine. The climate control broke a blend shaft & there is a severe rattle from the front end (as yet havent taken to dealership, been waiting for the car to come back from the panel shop after a truck tried to occupy the same place my car was parked in). Its been a very solid vehicle, almost 30000k's on the clock now and I keep forgetting just how good it is to drive till I jump into another car/truck at work for a while

prydey
19th May 2012, 03:14 PM
thanks menace. i'm assuming you had a similar issue and this fixed it? definitely a cheap option i can try first.

prydey
19th May 2012, 09:28 PM
thanks mate

defective
21st May 2012, 12:07 AM
issue with mine thats just recently reared its head,

hit the brakes and the dash lights up like a christmas tree, telling me i have a dsc fault, and an abs fault.

advice on aff seems to be its a brake pedal sensor issue, which my symptoms of brake lights working fine, but when it faults they stop working, seem to confirm.

nb: abs and dsc still operate normally, except for the dsc cannot be turned of while it is 'faulted', and its still does it if i already had the dsc off.

ordered a new switch from ebay $25. seems like a better and easier option than taking it to ford for them to 'diagnose'

il follow up with results once the switch arrives.

defective
22nd June 2012, 06:29 PM

hit the brakes and the dash lights up like a christmas tree, telling me i have a dsc fault, and an abs fault.

advice on aff seems to be its a brake pedal sensor issue, which my symptoms of brake lights working fine, but when it faults they stop working, seem to confirm.

nb: abs and dsc still operate normally, except for the dsc cannot be turned of while it is 'faulted', and its still does it if i already had the dsc off.

ordered a new switch from ebay $25. seems like a better and easier option than taking it to ford for them to 'diagnose'

further to this, my fg has just come back from having the fuel pump replaced, while there the workshop manager said he cleared a few codes on it, and since then the abs and dsc faults havent come up... so is there actually a fault or just a glitch?

prydey
18th July 2012, 10:40 AM
When i backed out of my carport yesterday i noticed a small patch of oil on the normally clean concrete. testing it with my fingers, it appears to be oil, and rather fresh looking too. not dirty. the oil patch on the concrete is where the rear of the car would be, and upon checking under the car, i notice there is drips on the diff. the diff isn't noisy at all. anyone had issues with leaking oil from the diff?

just to follow up on my leak from the diff area, turns out it was the RH axle seal. $145, all fixed.

Samboc
20th July 2012, 06:29 PM

Just had the same problem - was a faulty brake light switch - took the car to the local ford dealer. He stood a the back of the car and asked me to operate the brake a few times. 2 minute diagnose. Replaced the switch and problem gone. Can't tell you the cost - all under warranty.

The fault started out intermittent. Would be weeks between showing, but gradually got worse till a total nuisance

Donut King
20th September 2012, 10:19 PM
Just had the same problem - was a faulty brake light switch - took the car to the local ford dealer. He stood a the back of the car and asked me to operate the brake a few times. 2 minute diagnose. Replaced the switch and problem gone. Can't tell you the cost - all under warranty.

The fault started out intermittent. Would be weeks between showing, but gradually got worse till a total nuisance

Just got this one myself it seems, just over a week ago it did it once, then become more prevalent over the last couple of days. 10 days since warranty ran out :(

gtfpv
23rd June 2014, 07:03 PM
Was going to start a new thread but came across this one .

My 2009 5spd xr6 , with 140,000km on it has over the last 20,000kms lost its new car driving feel , its getting floaty and starting to wander on the road , steering is still tight , but I'm thinking its complete wear and tear , engine is perfect , it has never had any oil leaks under the car , however it is becoming Lazy and not very responsive to throttle , I can really feel the drive by wire difference to throttle position , the gear box is becoming lazy and hesitant on kick down as well, aside from this it is floaty and will get out of hand if your hands off the steering , it doesn't pull up as well as it used too , has new brakes all around , but remember driveline braking plays a roll too .

Whilst it's still a very nice car ,it simply doesn't drive like a new one anymore . I'm putting it down to suspension component wear and tear . It does have left rear clunk if going over a pot hole say , so I think i'll check the rear sway bar after 4v mans findings with his .
Anyone know how much I'd be looking at for a suspension overhaul including shocks and bushes ??? I'm not sure I'm interested in doing it myself these days .

I did drive a car the same model XR6 once which felt like mine . it was a rental with 15 000kms on it .

What km/ readings would be considered high KM'S for these fg's now ? And how are they holding up ?

4Vman
23rd June 2014, 07:10 PM
Was going to start a new thread but came across this one .

My 2009 5spd xr6 , with 140,000km on it has over the last 20,000kms lost its new car driving feel , its getting floaty and starting to wander on the road , steering is still tight , but I'm thinking its complete wear and tear , engine is perfect , it has never had any oil leaks under the car , however it is becoming Lazy and not very responsive to throttle , I can really feel the drive by wire difference to throttle position , the gear box is becoming lazy and hesitant on kick down as well, aside from this it is floaty and will get out of hand if your hands off the steering , it doesn't pull up as well as it used too , has new brakes all around , but remember driveline braking plays a roll too .

Whilst it's still a very nice car ,it simply doesn't drive like a new one anymore . I'm putting it down to suspension component wear and tear . It does have left rear clunk if going over a pot hole say , so I think i'll check the rear sway bar after 4v mans findings with his .
Anyone know how much I'd be looking at for a suspension overhaul including shocks and bushes ??? I'm not sure I'm interested in doing it myself these days .

I did drive a car the same model XR6 once which felt like mine . it was a rental with 15 000kms on it .

What km/ readings would be considered high KM'S for these fg's now ? And how are they holding up ?

I found the main clunking noise in mine, when it was up on a hoist I grabbed the rear wheel at the top and pulled it in and out, low and behold the top ball joints had play in them, I sold the car before they got bad enough to need replacing but was quoted $1200 to replace rear bushes. The clunking is quite annoying though.

To me anything over 130000 K's is getting up there.

dash gt
23rd June 2014, 10:28 PM
A wise man once said to me "Your first hundred thousand is always your best hundred thousand". He was right.

I usually dump my cars around the 60,000 mark. They are still half valuable on the used market and I havent had the trauma of having to have things fixed (out of warranty).

I personally would not expect a Falcon with 130,000 kms to drive like it did when it was new, and if it was me I would have driven it to a point where I didnt have to replace brakes, bushes etc and just dumped it. With the prices of low km FG's you would be better off changing them over on a regular basis and doing next to no maintenance.

Elks
24th June 2014, 12:23 AM
GTE is at 64,000 km. only issue it a RH widow switch. Fixed immediately. Oh and I rarely get to drive it. That's an issue.

Burnout
28th June 2014, 04:51 PM
Problems, well yes, my young bloke lunched his turbo last night. Bearings gone west. Thing was maxed out on the tune he had in it (413rwhp).

dash gt
28th June 2014, 05:18 PM
Problems, well yes, my young bloke lunched his turbo last night. Bearings gone west. Thing was maxed out on the tune he had in it (413rwhp).

That sucks!!

Who was it tuned by?

Burnout
1st July 2014, 08:10 PM
Yeah, Real Dyno, the risks were real for it to go pop. The bearing gave up the ghost. Its getting towed up there tomorrow, turbs is getting re-built and the larger front going on it. It will be effectively an F6 Turbo then. He has a process west intercooler, piping kit, battery re-location, a 3 inch system and the 'holy of holies' a 4 inch tip.
I dont blame the Tuner at all, the young bloke has been giving the Commo boys a bit of a hiding, got some very provocative signage on his rear window, large letters too. There's no turbo badge on it either, very naughty!
Took a look at his dyno sheet and you could see the wriggly line up the top, the turbs right on the edge. All you could see above the dyno sheet was the big stupid grin on his mug.

2.8K $ will settle him down a bit. :D

Burnout
4th July 2014, 09:58 PM
The re-build went well.... perhaps too well. It tuned up at 480rwhp. To much without head studs and oil pump gears.
A lot of time spend getting the power out of the thing. Anyhow she tuned in at 413rwhp low tune and 430rwhp on the top tune. Hopefully he has learned a bit of a lesson.

jpd80
6th July 2014, 10:03 AM
My boss is having continuing issues with is GT 335, it's only done around 20,000 km and the front discs have already been replaced due to bad shimmy under light brakes at 80-90 kph. Now it's starting to act up again...to say he's less than impressed with Brembo brakes would be an understatement, especially on a car that cost him so much brand new - he didn't get any discounts BTW...

VZTRT
3rd September 2014, 07:50 AM
Had the trans mount replaced on the FG sedan. It had a knocking that sounded like flogged out diff bushes but seemed to be coming more from the center console.
Nothing was picked up at service (not Ford) but then again they also gave me the impression they didn't much in the way of checking the car.

Problem was picked up by and ABS franchise mob, which funnily enough picked up a real head scratcher for me about 8 years ago.

Long story short and $150 later car drives great again....also the rest of the bushes were nice and tight. Car is a manual BTW.

Donut King
30th September 2014, 06:03 PM

Anybody seen this before? The lip spoiler on the G6ET has cracked in 2 places, this is the worst of the 2. Warranty is well and truly over, but not sure this should be happening on something that is barely a 5 year old car too.

VZTRT
1st October 2014, 07:40 AM
I've heard of it happening on a few cars.

FTe217
1st October 2014, 12:57 PM
That sucks ! on a lip spoiler, I can expect on a big wing ala GT even the T3 style duew to its bulk but a lip spoiler thats just crappy QC.
I would still present the case where I bought the car from, that should NOT be happenning and be looked at and supported by Ford imo.

VZTRT
1st October 2014, 01:17 PM
That sucks ! on a lip spoiler, I can expect on a big wing ala GT even the T3 style duew to its bulk but a lip spoiler thats just crappy QC.
I would still present the case where I bought the car from, that should NOT be happenning and be looked at and supported by Ford imo.

I'd say the cracking would be from a weak spot, it also may be a bad batch for all we know. Maybe the lip spoiler goes through more stress then the regular spoilers.
Could always go and complain to the dealer but not really liking the chances of a good outcome.

FTe217
1st October 2014, 02:09 PM
I can't see how a lip spoiler could have more stress - my take is that for purpose of goodwill this should be looked at and maybe come to a compramise between Ford and customer, just makes good sense.
When dealing with our customers customer over times I have approved replacement on odd scenarios purely based on the BBQ talk theory, the cost is minimal but the word of mouth is worth its weight in gold.

VZTRT
1st October 2014, 02:43 PM
I can't see how a lip spoiler could have more stress - my take is that for purpose of goodwill this should be looked at and maybe come to a compramise between Ford and customer, just makes good sense.

You never know. Problems sometimes happen in ways you wouldn't think. I wonder if there is an updated part for this and this is reinforced. If the part is anything like the BFII Fairmont Ghia front lip on the bumper it won't be cheap.

When dealing with our customers customer over times I have approved replacement on odd scenarios purely based on the BBQ talk theory, the cost is minimal but the word of mouth is worth its weight in gold.

It wouldn't hurt to ask....even try CRC and make sure you stick to the lip spoiler and nothing else.

4Vman
1st October 2014, 02:45 PM
id be interested to see inside the moulding where its cracked if its fractured completely through..

VZTRT
1st October 2014, 03:14 PM
Could shrinkage be a problem??

I would have thought they would have taken that into consideration....but it is Venture were talking about.

4Vman
1st October 2014, 04:49 PM
Could shrinkage be a problem??

I would have thought they would have taken that into consideration....but it is Venture were talking about.

Could be moulding defects and air pockets within the moulding. Like i said, would be interesting to inspect failures.

FTe217
1st October 2014, 05:01 PM
Agree Mould most likely is the culprit - if not checked and maintained good % thats it, as VZTRT posted this has happenned in the past.

Donut King
1st October 2014, 06:19 PM
First signs something was going wrong was a couple of years back, I noticed 2 distinct shallow dents in the bootlid, the guys in the panel shop at work checked them out and said it was caused by the spoiler (I thought someone had lent on to bootlid at some stage). It was the sort of thing you only noted from certain angles in certain light so I never worried too much about it.

These cracks appeared within the last 2 or 3 months, the one I photographed has steadily got worse and is through the entire thickness, the other one is only just showing through the paint. When the car is outside in the sun the crack closes up, its only in the morning or afternoon when it is cooler that it opens up and you can see how bad it is. Seeing as the vehicle was purchased in Mackay the I'll likely not be taking it back there, but I will give the guys locally a go and see what they say, but I am expecting to be told tuff luck, almost service time so I will hold off till then and see how I go.

FTe217
2nd October 2014, 10:44 AM
Yer look I'm sure its water under the bridge via Ford - I just think this type of product line that normally doesn't have an issue should be taken on by the seller regardless out of WTY on the base's of good will, it would be a very low % across the board.

Our Automotive Industry has always been very strict and harsh - be it by the OE's to Aftermarket, we have all seen it for years be it RRP's compared to everywhere else to customer support - why ? because we have been a dip in the ocean re population and for the earlier years the locals ran by their rules and could/can get away with it......
US for eg, ok 300m population but Warranties are lifetime in many Aftermarket products, heck spark plugs have 5yrs for eg.
Population has its strength due to competition, here the customer is guilty till proven innocent LOL......I have watched and been involved with some crackers over my time, your get a headache and further more you lose customers.
On products were involved we took the US line a little, that was we have always made sure the customer is sorted out on the spot, we will deal with the whys/how/when etc once all the info is collected and diagnosed, some customers have been very happy knowing that once they have been briefed in detail why xyz suffered a failure was because of fitment/abuse etcetc and ofcourse on rare occasions a manufacturing fault.
You win some you lose some but our policies are favoured very much amongst our clients, it works and far outweighs the cost of the product than losing a customer forever.