PDA

View Full Version : 500kW Mustangs confirmed for Oz

4Vman
21st May 2015, 02:44 PM
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015/ford/mustang/power-overload-500kw-mustangs-confirmed-for-oz-51289

A Range of Ford Performance Racing parts including a mega-output Roush supercharger kit to be available for new Ford Mustang here

We saw it under the bonnet of Ford's wild 'King Cobra' Mustang concept at last November's SEMA aftermarket show in Las Vegas and now motoring.com.au can confirm the most powerful official supercharger kit ever offered by the Blue Oval will be available for Ford's new Mustang in Australia.

The sixth-generation 'Stang arrives in local Ford dealers in December, priced from under $45,000 for the Fastback EcoBoost manual, which is powered by a 233kW/432Nm 2.3-litre turbo-four.

Naturally, V8 versions will also be offered, with a 303kW/525Nm 5.0-litre bent eight gracing the sub-$55K GT coupe and the range-topping Convertible GT ($63,990 plus ORCs).

But for a little bit more money, Aussie Mustang customers will be able to pack a whole lot more performance a V8 Supercar-crushing 670hp (500kW), in fact.

The power boost comes courtesy of Ford Performance Racing's official 'Super Pack', which was developed by famed US Mustang tuner Roush Performance and has been available from all Ford dealers in North America since shortly after the Mk6 Mustang went on sale there last September.

However, Roush's ballistic 500kW Stage 3 supercharger kit for the Mustang won't be available here from Ford dealers, although Ford Australia is close to announcing an official performance upgrade developed by its European performance partner Mountune for EcoBoost turbo-four versions of the Mustang, Fiesta ST and Focus ST.

Instead, the hyper-blower for the Mustang GT will be available from Australia's official Ford Performance Racing distributor, Herrod Motorsport, who is also an official Roush Performance agent.

Full details of the high-output Mustang kit will not be announced until company chief, renowned Melbourne-based hot Ford builder Rob Herrod, returns from meetings with Roush and Ford in Detroit next month.

However, motoring.com.au understands the HSV GTS-killing Stage 3 kit could become available here for as little as $12,000-$15,000 depending on exchange rates.

Warranty details also remain unconfirmed, but all Roush kits come with a three-year/36,000-mile warranty in the US when installed by authorised dealers.

The Mustang GT blower kit could be the centrepiece of an entire range of Ford Racing Performance and Roush parts available here, including everything from bespoke body kits comprising body-colour bonnet, body side and quarter window scoops, to 20-inch forged or polished wheels, leather Recaro seats, billet pedals, manual shifter ball and even illuminated door sills.

Ford has announced a limited range of Mustang options for Australia, including racing stripes ($650), a black roof ($975), Nickel Lustre alloys and metallic paint (both $500).

But in the US, Mustang buyers can also choose a Drag Pack comprising heavy-duty half shafts and a rear sub-frame with high-performance bushings, or a Handling Pack with three-way adjustable coil-over suspension, new rear shocks, a stabiliser bar kit and shorter, stiffer springs that lower the car about an inch.

Priced from US $21,995 in North America, Roush's full Stage 3 Mustang GT package includes the supercharger kit, plus a quad-outlet active exhaust system, adjustable-height coil-over suspension with extreme-duty TrakPak axles and 20-inch Quicksilver wheels with ultra-high-performance Cooper RS3 tyres.

It also comes with a full body kit comprising front fascia, grille, chin splitter, hood scoop, side rockers, decklid spoiler, fender badges, windscreen banner, rear blackout panel, driving lights and graphics, plus a numbered/signed engine bay plaque, dash medallion, embroidered floor mats all Roush-branded.

For many though, the Stage 3 big-bore blower should be enough. It includes Roush's new 2015-spec 2.3-litre Twin Vortices Series (TVS) supercharger, plus a six-rib belt drive system, unique intake manifold, electronic throttle body, air inlet system, fuel rail, high-flow fuel-injectors, air-to-liquid intercooler and a revised ECU with Ford Racing calibration.

Essentially the same spec as the 2014 Shelby GT500, the 'ROUSHcharged' 5.0-litre 'Coyote' V8 is claimed to deliver "more horsepower per litre than any other OE American muscle car, while maintaining an unrivalled level of driveability".

Fitted with an early 625hp (465kW) version, the King Cobra seen at SEMA is said to have achieved a 10.97-second quarter-mile pass at the Milan Dragway in Michigan last August.

Roush also offers a milder 325kW Stage 2 kit for the 5.0-litre GT and a Stage 1 kit for the Mustang EcoBoost in the US.

Ford's hotter naturally-aspirated 5.2-litre Shelby GT350 and GT350R will not be produced in right-hand drive, but a range of Shelby options will also be available for local Mustang owners via another Melbourne-based tuner, Mustang Motorsport Australia.

In fact, Shelby's official Australian mod-shop has already begun conversion work on a handful of 2015 Mustang GTs the only examples in the country apart from Ford Australia's two left-hand drive models for anyone willing to pay a handsome premium to be the first to own Ford's new pony car here.

In the absence of a factory RHD version of Chevrolet's new Camaro, the new Mustang looks like being one of the few affordable V8 performance cars to remain after Ford's homegrown Falcon XR8 and the Holden Commodore SS shuffle off in a few years.

Ford Australia now says it has more than 1500 firm orders and 15,000-plus potential buyers for the new pony car more than six months before its local release. It seems they'll have almost as many performance and customisation options.

FTe217
21st May 2015, 02:52 PM
Mmmmm.

4Vman
21st May 2015, 02:54 PM
Read the detail though...

Aftermarket for the V8 and Factory for the T4....

HSE2
21st May 2015, 03:03 PM
Oh god no.

4Vman
21st May 2015, 03:04 PM
Hmmmmm.....

Wouldnt it be funny if Ford AU offered factory fitted kits for the T4 that made it faster than the V8... PMSL...

flappist
21st May 2015, 03:36 PM
I reckon "the usual suspects" might have something in store for us based on FPV developed technology.

Fitting some permutation of the GTF engine into a Mustang (Brumby :)) would not only make a brilliant performance vehicle but also would make it "Australian" which would, I suspect, appeal to many potential buyers.

Randel
21st May 2015, 03:40 PM
What about legality requirements?

Franco Cozzo
21st May 2015, 03:49 PM
However, Roush's ballistic 500kW Stage 3 supercharger kit for the Mustang won't be available here from Ford dealers, although Ford Australia is close to announcing an official performance upgrade – developed by its European performance partner Mountune for EcoBoost turbo-four versions of the Mustang, Fiesta ST and Focus ST.

YES!

Its about damn time, we were asking Mountune Performance in the UK to see if they could cut a deal with Ford Australia back in 2009 when the WS Fiesta was released, they kept saying Ford Australia was telling them to GTFO, you can option up their performance upgrades and have them installed at the dealership without effecting your factory warranty in the UK.

Back then they had a full exhaust, cams and tune kit going for the WS Fiesta.

FTe217
21st May 2015, 04:09 PM
Read the detail though...

Aftermarket for the V8 and Factory for the T4....

Norm, my post was meant to mean I'm very skeptical - having a outside arm going to market this way.
We are not used to this - whereas look how long Selby has gone to market this way in the US for eg.

4Vman
21st May 2015, 04:24 PM
Norm, my post was meant to mean I'm very skeptical - having a outside arm going to market this way.
We are not used to this - whereas look how long Selby has gone to market this way in the US for eg.

Yes we have a much different view of aftermarket v factory here.

flappist
21st May 2015, 04:27 PM
YES!

Its about damn time, we were asking Mountune Performance in the UK to see if they could cut a deal with Ford Australia back in 2009 when the WS Fiesta was released, they kept saying Ford Australia was telling them to GTFO, you can option up their performance upgrades and have them installed at the dealership without effecting your factory warranty in the UK.

Back then they had a full exhaust, cams and tune kit going for the WS Fiesta.

Damo, when you become premier are you going to raise the speed limit and remove the speed cameras or is the WS Fiesta just for looking pretty outside your hairdresser?

HSE2
21st May 2015, 04:52 PM
When I become Prime Minister I will outlaw the aftermarket.

It will be illegal to tamper with cars at all.

We had AMG or M division.

Some people like Barbrus others just like AMG.

I like AMG. That will do me.

As far as I understood Ford racing no longer exists. To use that title in this country, especially in the current climate would be strange to say the least.

To use the newly formed Ford Performance is a bit misleading also. That's implies factory and Herrod is not that.

Roush or Shelby, people understand that. Being agents for those guys is fine but I think there is still room for AMG.

If ford do a RHD GT500 then things get very complicated and I would say impossible for someone to move into the AMG roll previously filled by FPV.

The sad part about this is that we have the proving ground to go test with and we certainly have the engineers to do it. The biggest question is willingness to get back into a sort of manufacturing role and if Ford globally would actually allow such a thing to occur.

Why would we bother I think you be a question of reasonable expectation.

If Ford hold back the hotter GT Mustangs and the only solution is aftermarket there is a very strong case to fill a market need. You have New Zealand, South Africa and Australia deprived of factory performance and with out dollar heading the way it is, maybe even export to the UK.

A boutique, niche market could be our auto manufacturing future but it more dream than a prospect.

This is our greatest loss. Forget Falcon or any one product.

The biggest loss here is that our team of guys most likely wont get to work on products enthusiasts want to own. I don t think that's fair, bit cruel really.

Franco Cozzo
21st May 2015, 04:57 PM
Damo, when you become premier are you going to raise the speed limit and remove the speed cameras or is the WS Fiesta just for looking pretty outside your hairdresser?

At least I still have hair to go to a hair dresser :highly_amused:

and no speed cameras at the mountain range I live next to :)

FTe217
21st May 2015, 05:03 PM
Gawd, this place is the melting pot for future candidates...Prem Damo and PM Ian - Damo surely would be an improvement for the red coats state and fed wise.
Ian, my friend would run out all imports I'd suspect - wouldn't last a month in office ;)
Go to pollie thread please :)

In all seriousness, Aftermarket is is fine where its at BUT selling vehicles NO.

I told you guys long ago there would be an issue at hand re hi po ponies.
I pass on good luck to the company annouced/mentioned, I have no faith in them whatsoever.

Franco Cozzo
21st May 2015, 05:11 PM
Its only an option, its good for people like me, if I could have a fair bit done at the dealership before I take delivery I would be happy with that and would tick the box (I certainly would have ticked the box if it was offered when I bought my Fiesta)

If Ford is onboard with them in other markets its going to be a very mild product.

HSE2
21st May 2015, 06:19 PM
Gawd, this place is the melting pot for future candidates...Prem Damo and PM Ian - Damo surely would be an improvement for the red coats state and fed wise.
Ian, my friend would run out all imports I'd suspect - wouldn't last a month in office ;)
Go to pollie thread please :)

In all seriousness, Aftermarket is is fine where its at BUT selling vehicles NO.

I told you guys long ago there would be an issue at hand re hi po ponies.
I pass on good luck to the company annouced/mentioned, I have no faith in them whatsoever.

I have done a Billy Brownless and gone right off. Billy's bake they call them.
Look in theory this means nothing. The aftermarkets been around for ages, it doesn't prevent Ford from doing their own thing in their own time but for the love of god why Ford would be so keen to hand off a licence to make money in this area, its staggering.
Unless someone can tell me that GTF ran at a loss, that single program represents how FPV should have functioned from the start. Don't ask me why it never because I just don't know.
Here is the problem with the aftermarket Maurie. They come in and wreak the very margins that have prevented us getting what we want from factory.
If the margins removed in the aftermarket aren't important why have them. They cost money for no good reason.
If we are going to turn around now and say this is ok what the %^$^^ have we been worrying about. Wombats, towing, potholes, ^%&$ the lot of that ^%&$ right off because we don't need it.
I have taken the hat off thrown it at the TV. Dummy is out.
I would make the aftermarket test their &^%$ to the same standards that were conducted originally. If they can't do that and pass then ^&^%$ off back to china.
The baby and dummy has just be spat out the window.

This racing parts capper? Is it tested for adr / noise and emissions in this country? If it's not or it doesn't have to be, someone at Ford Australia has just been a major dickhead because with all that shed space and a FPV facility and a bloody proving ground to boot, if adding a supercharger doesn't require crash testing in this country you have just handed over a lot of money to herrod and friends for no good reason.
You cant tell me Ford Australia couldn't get this stuff at a better rate again? What employ 10 people? Have a part of the market you can call you own and have a real impact with.

This is what HSV are attempting to do. Are we going to get 5 years into this, see HSV have got something going that's working and then say, hey that's not a bad idea, maybe we should try that.

I must be *&^%ing dumb and I don't care much for collusion but on this it wouldn't hurt for the two bodies to get together to see what the thoughts are on boutique manufacturing.
Everyone should want this to happen. Everyone should want HSV to live on and if we had FPV still going, want that to find away, find a product to continue on with. We have engineering and we have the facilities to do it. Why wouldn't you.
Company policy would prevent this I know but.......
Ah ^&^% it. Too angry. Going to bed with no tea.

4Vman
21st May 2015, 06:40 PM
It is baffling and disappointing.

I will never ever consider aftermarket mods as an alternative to buying a factory manufactured performance product as a way of bridging performance between the 2.

I respect that people enjoy customizing and being individual but for me nothing screams street cred more to me than the AMG, M, FPV or HSV logo on a car.

I wont even give a second glance to 1000kw XR6T next to a std BA GT. Its just me and how ive formed my love and attachment to the ford brand: by experience those factory hotrods.

AMG are the posterboys of this and their logo means the same thing anywhere in the word, the message is tight and clear.

HSV are on the way to developing that here...

We have lost a lot.

Again.

FTe217
21st May 2015, 06:43 PM
hehe love it..........

I'm no fanboi for the aftermarket guys on massive tune corrections/engine mod corrections - thats another world and horse's for course's Ian, I'm not one of those either.
Your a OE showroom fanboi, nothing wrong with that, leave those others their choice dummy spitta :)
What were talking about here is a private business/tuner having the door opened to sell Brand New vehicles if I'm right.
Like I said before, Shleby have been doing this for years and others elsewhere, AMG have many other private companies competing against them and Bimmer in EU so whats your dummy spit for.
Are you looking to shut down people's choice be it as a private business owner and customers ? good luck pal :)

The wrong thing here is that Ford themselves are not taking up the ball and playing with it themselves - thats who you should spit your dum dum over.

4Vman
21st May 2015, 06:48 PM
I don't believe that's right Maurie, Herrod will simply modify your car after you've bought it, using the Rousch kit.

Pretty much like what Walkinshaw do except without the Factory undertones and assistance.

Bluestuff1
21st May 2015, 07:01 PM
i still don't understand why fPV didn't expand into the other models on offer,
Ie a local version of a ST Mondeo - Focus - Fiesta ??
The GT,s will have been the hello cars to sell lesser smaller cars.
Isn't this what premcar/ herrod etc are going to do now?

FTe217
21st May 2015, 07:10 PM
Ah, ok so he's just got the distribution of Roush products and fitting their kits.
OK nothing new here - no diff to those kenne bell fanbois and tuners etcetc - I can't begrudge a private business owner expanding his/their business offerings.
Hum, most if not all of the Ford pony kits GM kits are USA sourced fyi. I'm sure they get some components made elsewhere, Mexico for starters, China maybe as well.
I'm no client but many seem to be and I don't blame them, there is room for both no matter what people think..

4Vman
21st May 2015, 07:16 PM
Its not Robs fault and nor is he doing anything wrong, good on him for expanding his offering to those who enjoy modifying their cars.

FTe217
21st May 2015, 07:22 PM
Yes mate I agree, our mate's perception that these type of business's hinder the OE's is ridiculous......

4Vman
21st May 2015, 07:24 PM
Yes mate I agree, our mate's perception that these type of business's hinder the OE's is ridiculous......

I don't think that is what Ian is saying.

If Ford are encouraging this in lieu of any factory effort it kills of any hope of getting a dedicated factory performance arm here.

I'm actually starting to think there's some class stereotypes creeping into Fords mindset of late...

FTe217
21st May 2015, 07:32 PM
Hum, its not the area I'm involved in so no skin off me but he questions their vapidity, which is darn right to a degree but you you can't restrict trade and choice.
I hope he's more peeved at Ford.

HSE2
21st May 2015, 09:16 PM
The wrong thing here is that Ford themselves are not taking up the ball and playing with it themselves - thats who you should spit your dum dum over.

Do you have trouble reading?

HSE2
21st May 2015, 09:18 PM

Scratch that I know you have trouble reading.

Elks
21st May 2015, 10:15 PM
Its not Robs fault and nor is he doing anything wrong, good on him for expanding his offering to those who enjoy modifying their cars.

This.

I doubt I'd go for it. But Herrod, Blue Power, KPM, XFT, Blue Streak all have built plenty of fast Miami engines. I'm sure with right check book they will be happy to convert your Coyote to Miami and beyond.

Franco Cozzo
22nd May 2015, 12:04 AM
I don't see what the problem is with aftermarket, they take something the factory has been limited by all sorts of regulations and standards, and unlock the real potential of these vehicles, I appreciate modified cars more so than stock examples, lots of risk there and what people turn out with is amazing.

Randel
22nd May 2015, 12:17 AM
they really are blurring the lines of 'factory' and warranted arent they. Implying that all warranties remain intact. Hey in America the roush kits come with a 36 month warranty. Does that mean only the blower and kit is warranted? Do Ford stiill honour driveline warranties on cars fitted with these kits? What happens if the bottom end blows out.... Just run the car back to Ford?

Hey the kit - its from Ford Performance Racing, it must be legit, legal and not impact my factory warranty.

If i am gonna spend that sort of money on a brand new car, i want it delivered registered, LEGAL and fully factory supported.

Randel
22nd May 2015, 12:19 AM
I don't see what the problem is with aftermarket, they take something the factory has been limited by all sorts of regulations and standards, and unlock the real potential of these vehicles, I appreciate modified cars more so than stock examples, lots of risk there and what people turn out with is amazing.

I dont have a problem at all with the aftermarket - as long as the end user knows where they stand in the event something goes wrong....

andrewforbes
22nd May 2015, 02:14 AM
I think this is good n time will tell how good. Wether or not the business model is right shouldn't matter, that's not for us to decide. The fact that we will be able to build such a car is a good thing. While it would be great to see our guys have an input it designing something along those lines it's not a necessity but I still feel our guys make it could happen. There's not to many places you can go that have a cap on who can build n modify cars. Happy we can build a 500kw stang

HSE2
22nd May 2015, 10:20 AM

The real potential comes with risk.

When you tune a car what you are effectively doing is removing the safety margin inthe air to fuel mixture. That margin is there for a reason. If the name of the game was to extract maximum engine potential don't you think the factory would have done that.
The manufacture has to do tests that include extreme high and low temperatures including altitude. We know what happens to air at altitude don't we.
We can look at what might happen as a theory but from a manufacturing perspective you must test for it. To my knowledge no aftermarket house in this country carries out testing to cover these situations and even less are inclinded to exp,ain to you if you change this it could impact this over here or that over there.

Now if the parts are factory endorsed that's different. Official factory performance parts I would assume have been tested.
Have they been tested as a package? In this case I would say no becuase it's not ford offering the warranty it's roush.
Who pays for what who is covering what I couldn't say but it's not as clean as just buying a car of the lot untouched.

Inthe states they must be dealer fit. That is a better solution because it means you are always dealing with the dealerhsip no matter what.

The devil here will be in the detail.

The headline says 500kw Mustangs confirmed for Australia. That is not the case because everyone had the same ability to pull from the ford part catalog and make their FPV 500kw.
It's a misleading headline to me because the aftermarket solution has and will always be there but it needs regulating. It needs standards to be looked at and if I had my way compliance added to it.

If you can defeat the rules manufacturers have to a bide by to sell there should be a requirement to re pass engineering for registration.
If you have a situation where you are deceiving your insurer to keep your premium down, what does that tell you?

WASP
22nd May 2015, 11:13 AM
Adding a Factory approved part to a car doesn't ensure that addition will be safe, roadworthy or even appropriate. Especially if you have multiple after production parts fitted where so many variables are at play. All I think it does is lower the risk of incompatibility. I have had some Ford Racing parts fitted on my GT. Some have been good, while others didn't work so well. In my case I have all but conceded that to get the appropriate engineering outcome in some areas required I would need to custom build, prototype & test my own parts with engineering supervision to get the desired outcome. Almost every 'off the shelf' aftermarket part I have added has resulted in some type of issue or deficiency. This is despite being made from superior materials in most cases. Then there is the issue of compliance and meeting roadworthy requirements.

With this 500kW Mustang, what would be good is to see someone go to the trouble and developing a series of packages derived from Ford Racing components which are tested and comply with emissions and roadworthy standards, while also having a warranty which protects the end consumer. The kit needs to be as turnkey as possible so dealers can fit them and feel confident in their durability, maintenance and reliability. Its a tall order for sure, but I think it will pay dividends for those go there. I would like nothing more than to be able to tick a 500kW Performance Package box on a Mustang purchase options list, knowing that I can have my car fully supported and maintained by that dealer and it doesn't require me to seek a modification exception.

HSE2
22nd May 2015, 11:21 AM
So what colville is saying is that if you don't verify the entire package any change you make has the pontential to impact somewhere else in the package. The sheer number of variables created through different components is staggering.

Take it from someone who knows and has been through it, his opinion on this I trust implicitly.

While there will always be a market for those who want this sort of approach, there is an even bigger one for those that want the factory.
500kw Mustang is a GT500 so just build that. Then and only then is the title 500kw Mustang confirmed for this country applicable in my book.

Franco Cozzo
22nd May 2015, 11:23 AM
The real potential comes with risk.

When you tune a car what you are effectively doing is removing the safety margin inthe air to fuel mixture. That margin is there for a reason. If the name of the game was to extract maximum engine potential don't you think the factory would have done that.
The manufacture has to do tests that include extreme high and low temperatures including altitude. We know what happens to air at altitude don't we.
We can look at what might happen as a theory but from a manufacturing perspective you must test for it. To my knowledge no aftermarket house in this country carries out testing to cover these situations and even less are inclinded to exp,ain to you if you change this it could impact this over here or that over there.

Now if the parts are factory endorsed that's different. Official factory performance parts I would assume have been tested.
Have they been tested as a package? In this case I would say no becuase it's not ford offering the warranty it's roush.
Who pays for what who is covering what I couldn't say but it's not as clean as just buying a car of the lot untouched.

Inthe states they must be dealer fit. That is a better solution because it means you are always dealing with the dealerhsip no matter what.

The devil here will be in the detail.

The headline says 500kw Mustangs confirmed for Australia. That is not the case because everyone had the same ability to pull from the ford part catalog and make their FPV 500kw.
It's a misleading headline to me because the aftermarket solution has and will always be there but it needs regulating. It needs standards to be looked at and if I had my way compliance added to it.

If you can defeat the rules manufacturers have to a bide by to sell there should be a requirement to re pass engineering for registration.
If you have a situation where you are deceiving your insurer to keep your premium down, what does that tell you?

At the end of the day, a manufacturer has to keep the 99.5% happy who buy their product, who are average Joe and Joesephine, the manufacturers are also limited by regulations like emissions/noise as well as cover their product with a warranty for a period of 3-7 years. They don't make their cars for the .05% which is me and other enthusiasts who modify their cars and like things a bit more extreme, I'd be happy with an auto trans which runs at 100% line pressure and snaps the next gear hard enough to spin wheels and jerk everyone back/fourth inside the car, I don't care how rough it is make it change gears faster rather than these shitty smooth slurry changes all these auto trans do to keep Pappa Giuseppe happy on his way to church on Sunday.

I picked up a 35% increase in power at the wheels of my Focus with some mods and a tune, and the biggest limitation we have stopping us from going further is the Siemens ECU as no one (in the aftermarket) knows how it works well enough to make more significant changes, unfortunately we can't really control where we want our fuel to come in, for us its either more or less across the entire rev range. It took a couple of goes to get to where we are now, the shop was very willing to deal with these issues.

The same engine is doing 130KW and meeting later emissions regulations in Ford's latest cars so obviously there was a lot more in it if there has been a 28KW increase from 5 years ago that the manufacturer is now offering.

All my mods on my Focus are listed on insurance policy:

Turbo upgrade
Full exhaust
Tune
Lowered suspension
Intercooler
Shortened Shocks
Rear swaybar upgrade
Water/Methanol Injection kit

HSE2
22nd May 2015, 11:41 AM
It's good that you have been up front with your insurer over what you have done because with out that you effectively have no insurance if you try to conceal those modifications and have a claim and get caught out.

It's not so much about keeping people happy, it's about putting a product to market that they can warrant.

You have well and truly shifted you car outside warranty by the factory. You understand this and are prepared to wear the consequences.

It is now mandatory for all cars sold in the country to have stability control. Given the modifications you have done, have you tested your car in a panic situation where stability control, traction control abs are required to work.

Have you verified these systems still work in all conditions?

Franco Cozzo
22nd May 2015, 11:57 AM
Car doesnt have stability control, but ABS still works, traction control still works, the light comes on, flashes and cuts power but the car is still torque limited in the first 3 gears (we lifted it 20% though), its not until 4th that it will let you use everything.

The rail pressure doesn't dip at all so the injection pump isn't struggling with delivering the extra fuel, we're also limited to 22psi boost because of the map sensor won't read more.

I suspect if we're going to break something its going to be the dual mass flywheel or a drive shaft which I'm not too fussed about.

HSE2
22nd May 2015, 12:06 PM
Yeah ok but it hasn't been tested in all conditions has it. You don't actually know if it's as affective as it was from factory.

That's my point. A manufacturer tests this under all conditions, cold, hot,dry,wet ice and snow.
Inside the Falcons brain is a separate selection for brembo brakes. There is I am led to believe two settings tang are selectable, one for 6/4 the other 4/2.

If you change brakes depending on circumstances while they will work they might not perform to their optimum.
Electronic calibration, especially in stability control situations is massively expensive and you would be surprised how little it takes to upset them if the conditions present.

It concerns me when I read people don't understand enough but the. Go ahead and tamper with it anyway.

Just my view on the subject.

Franco Cozzo
22nd May 2015, 12:08 PM
Yeah ok but it hasn't been tested in all conditions has it. You don't actually know if it's as affective as it was from factory.

That's my point. A manufacturer tests this under all conditions, cold, hot,dry,wet ice and snow.
Inside the Falcons brain is a separate selection for brembo brakes. There is I am led to believe two settings tang are selectable, one for 6/4 the other 4/2.

If you change brakes depending on circumstances while they will work they might not perform to their optimum.
Electronic calibration, especially in stability control situations is massively expensive and you would be surprised how little it takes to upset them if the conditions present.

It concerns me when I read people don't understand enough but the. Go ahead and tamper with it anyway.

Just my view on the subject.

The only conditions it needs to be tested in are the conditions I use it in, which is 90% cruising at 110km/h on the country roads I live near and driving around Melbourne's outer Northern suburbs.

I'm not going to drive on top of Mt Everest and I'm not going to drive through the Simpson Desert either.

HSE2
22nd May 2015, 12:15 PM
The only conditions it needs to be tested in are the conditions I use it in, which is 90% cruising at 110km/h on the country roads I live near and driving around Melbourne's outer Northern suburbs.

I'm not going to drive on top of Mt Everest and I'm not going to drive through the Simpson Desert either.

It's not the point.

pacificfordqld
22nd May 2015, 12:24 PM
Why oh why does this news come out in the media and dealers have no clue? It truely frustrates us to the maxinum. I know it's "just speculation" but in the end it is usually 95% true. Even seeing the "limited XR6 turbo" is news to us.

HSE2
22nd May 2015, 12:35 PM
Why oh why does this news come out in the media and dealers have no clue? It truely frustrates us to the maxinum. I know it's "just speculation" but in the end it is usually 95% true. Even seeing the "limited XR6 turbo" is news to us.

I guess it's the media job to sniff this stuff out.
As a dealer you have to work with reality but out of interest have you had anyone come in and express interest in a limited edition XR6?

WASP
22nd May 2015, 12:55 PM
lol, you make it sound like such a simplistic exercise BD. Whats' that saying? Its all beer and skittles until someone gets hurt (financially, physically or otherwise).

Your Focus sounds awesome mate butiI suspect it now unroadworthy unless you have a modification exemption from your RTA. You have done the right thing by disclosing modification to your insurer but don't confuse their acknowledgement of them an acceptance of your car being covered in any type of incident. For example, if you have an accident and they can prove it was caused, or contributed to by your modifications (which would be easy to do based on your list) then they may not cover you entirely, or at all depending on the event, or seriousness of the circumstances. If you read your policy it will most likely state that your car must be considered roadworthy at all times. Ian makes a good point about your factory safety systems being influenced. I think we both know that this would be a large unknown given you have a 35% increase in power. In the event of an accident (God forbid) if your safety systems are proven to be compromised your insurer may abandon you.

Sorry bud, I'm not trying to take anything away from what you have achieved with the changes to your Focus. I'm sure to you its a much improved experience driving as many do. This is why the aftermarket industry exists. As pointed out already, there are risks and consequences with playing here. Its up the individual to weigh up the benefits but in doing so, one needs to go into it with their eyes wide open. Most don't, or haven't including myself.

Coming back to Stang, I personally would want the peace of mind that my new 500kW investment (or liability!) is covered under all circumstances in the unfortunate event of an incident.

4Vman
22nd May 2015, 01:01 PM
With this 500kW Mustang, what would be good is to see someone go to the trouble and developing a series of packages derived from Ford Racing components which are tested and comply with emissions and roadworthy standards, while also having a warranty which protects the end consumer. The kit needs to be as turnkey as possible so dealers can fit them and feel confident in their durability, maintenance and reliability. Its a tall order for sure, but I think it will pay dividends for those go there. I would like nothing more than to be able to tick a 500kW Performance Package box on a Mustang purchase options list, knowing that I can have my car fully supported and maintained by that dealer and it doesn't require me to seek a modification exception.

The gap in price between a current bolt on kit with no R+D and Compliance and one as you've described is about the same as selling the product as a standard model with those costs amortized into the sale price.

There's a very good reason why a fully compliant and warranted 430kw GTS is $93K and a R8 with a Walkinshaw blower making 500kw is about $88k...

Just on Walkinshaw Ian, they do in fact do R+D on their kits, id say they go to greater lengths than any other after market tuner by a long margin.

4Vman
22nd May 2015, 01:21 PM
On tuned cars... I have a number of friends with tuned and modified late model vehicles, the ones who are most happiest with the modifications drive them the least and vise versa....

One with a cammed and tuned SS daily driver is actually contemplating either selling it or returning it to stock as its annoying to live with day to day and can often behave weirdly and unpredictable in variable weather and temperature conditions.

Franco Cozzo
22nd May 2015, 01:35 PM
Mine is my daily driver, no problems here it starts, idles, drives like it was stock just goes a lot quicker if you ask it to, its a touch louder with the exhaust but its not excessive, still does 6L/100km. The only test it would fail would be emissions test due to the tune/turbo (would your daily still pass its emissions test as it stands now?), its still above legal height limit and its not excessively loud.

Thats the problem with modifying NA cars, once you start changing cams, if you go too aggressive its a pain in the ass to drive on the street, forced induction > NA every time IMO because you can get big gains without these issues.

pacificfordqld
22nd May 2015, 02:19 PM
I guess it's the media job to sniff this stuff out.
As a dealer you have to work with reality but out of interest have you had anyone come in and express interest in a limited edition XR6?

It creates interest which I have no issue about, however when we no nothing except for what the media are saying it gets quite unprofessional sometimes.

Zero interest.

WASP
22nd May 2015, 02:34 PM
There's a very good reason why a fully compliant and warranted 430kw GTS is $93K and a R8 with a Walkinshaw blower making 500kw is about $88k...

And which one would you want to own for your $90k if given the chance. For me it would be the GTS even though the Walkinshaw R8 is most likely the more capable car. That said I take nothing away from what Walkinshaw and Holden have achieved. Having the ability to add a Walkinshaw package from your dealer and maintain the factory warranty and roadworthy is a credit to both parties.

4Vman
22nd May 2015, 02:45 PM
Exactly. Even with the Walkinshaw factory alliance and warranty advantage I'd take the GTS.

HSE2
22nd May 2015, 04:07 PM
Just on Walkinshaw Ian, they do in fact do R+D on their kits, id say they go to greater lengths than any other after market tuner by a long margin.

Do they R and D an entire car? The kits yeah sure most are probably testing kits or parts but what happens if the owner starts to mix and match parts? What then?

Anything walkingshaw do is probably coming out of a relationship with Holden. I don't know enough about Holdens testing and requirements to comment.

In all the years on aff as a moderator of sections that cover this stuff, the number of project cars that come along, the honeymoon period where there can't possibly be enough verbal masterbation, for that relationship to eventually run foul with the forum in the middle.
You and I spoke about this industries sponsorship potential didn't we, the intergrity issues they had and where it would place us.
That's why there is no site sponsors here because ultimately someone is going to have an issue. I had enough of dealing with that on aff.
You know when I left there I was still getting calls from people claiming so and so is doing this or that.

i too would pay more for less. I would even go as far as changing brands on this subject. If that allowed me to form a relationship with guys here in this country of an official capacity with a car company, if this is to be our choice, it won't be a hard choice to make at the time.

4Vman
22nd May 2015, 05:32 PM
Do they R and D an entire car? The kits yeah sure most are probably testing kits or parts but what happens if the owner starts to mix and match parts? What then?

Anything walkingshaw do is probably coming out of a relationship with Holden. I don't know enough about Holdens testing and requirements to comment.

In all the years on aff as a moderator of sections that cover this stuff, the number of project cars that come along, the honeymoon period where there can't possibly be enough verbal masterbation, for that relationship to eventually run foul with the forum in the middle.
You and I spoke about this industries sponsorship potential didn't we, the intergrity issues they had and where it would place us.
That's why there is no site sponsors here because ultimately someone is going to have an issue. I had enough of dealing with that on aff.
You know when I left there I was still getting calls from people claiming so and so is doing this or that.

i too would pay more for less. I would even go as far as changing brands on this subject. If that allowed me to form a relationship with guys here in this country of an official capacity with a car company, if this is to be our choice, it won't be a hard choice to make at the time.

I see Walkinshaw as a different kind of aftermarket tuner to every other one with the exception of Premcar.

I don't know what exact lengths they go to but they occupy the same building and facility as HSV and leverage off their people, facilities and most importantly intel.

They sit somewhere between the tuners and HSV and are generally last to market with mods for new Holden/HSV models for one very good reason..

Premcar have the ability to sit that way too should Ford allow them to.

On the sponsorship yes we spoke at length, it created great issues elsewhere and i'm loathed to allow any aftermarket entity influence or contaminate the purity of our site.

WASP
1st June 2015, 11:46 AM
VIDEO: First Look at the 650HP 2015 Shelby GT S550 Mustang
We take the Supercharged 2015 Shelby GT for a quick spin to see what it’s all about!

Read more: http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/1505-video-first-look-at-the-650hp-2015-shelby-gt-s550-mustang/

http://image.mustangandfords.com/f/119177891+w650+h433+re0+cr1+ar0/2015-shelby-gt-mustang-1-front-three-quarter.jpg

4Vman
1st June 2015, 06:29 PM
http://www.motormag.com.au/news/1506/ford-mustang-lands-in-oz/

Fancy a Ford Mustang but can’t wait till Christmas? Mustang Motorsport is already shifting the steering wheel to the right side.

The Melbourne company has been toying with 'Stang tillers for 25 years and will continue to do so, despite Ford Australia soon importing the US muscle coupe.

“It’s what we do for a living, why wait for Ford to bring me a car?” tells Mustang Motorsport managing director Craig Dean.

Dean says it will only take three or four sales to offset the engineering costs of the conversion, little surprise when a GT V8 will ask $125,000 and the Ecoboost $10K less – more than twice the official price.

You can also buy a Roush supercharged version for $155,000 – a model Ford Australia won’t bring here at any cost. It packs 468kW with a Stage 1 tune (alternatively, $12,000 if you BYO car), or 522kW+ with a Stage 2 (added price TBC), a healthy boost on the 303kW produced by the standard 5.0-litre V8.

Although officially taking the ‘Stang to local Ford dealer stables may crush conversion business, Dean sees a new opportunity to sell styling, braking and performance modifications to thousands of fresh Mustang buyers.

“That’s what we’re banking on,” he confirms.

“The main reason to bring in the Mustang was to prepare our tooling for putting bodykits on them, doing Shelby mods and the Roush upgrades, and doing our own product line of unique components.

“So we thought let’s convert them and get them on the road anyway. It wasn’t really to sell new ones to people unless they really want them.”

Regardless of demand, Mustang Motorsport won’t be allowed to import the vehicles once official importation begins.

But having done the tooling hard yards, Dean at least hopes to convert the must-have Mustang Shelby GT on local soil before Christmas.

For standard 'Stang owners, the Roush tuning list includes an exhaust upgrade, cold air intake (for Ecoboost and V8), single- or triple-adjustable coil-over suspension, a front fascia kit with bonnet scoop, spoiler and front splitter and 20-inch black or polished forged wheels.

Shelby modifications add racing seats (with five-point harness), gauge kit, camber/castor plates, adjustable rear control arm, along with most Shelby-specific exterior and interior treatments.

jpd80
1st June 2015, 07:02 PM
http://www.motormag.com.au/news/1506/ford-mustang-lands-in-oz/

Fancy a Ford Mustang but can’t wait till Christmas? Mustang Motorsport is already shifting the steering wheel to the right side.

The Melbourne company has been toying with 'Stang tillers for 25 years and will continue to do so, despite Ford Australia soon importing the US muscle coupe.

“It’s what we do for a living, why wait for Ford to bring me a car?” tells Mustang Motorsport managing director Craig Dean.

Dean says it will only take three or four sales to offset the engineering costs of the conversion, little surprise when a GT V8 will ask $125,000 and the Ecoboost $10K less – more than twice the official price.

You can also buy a Roush supercharged version for $155,000 – a model Ford Australia won’t bring here at any cost. It packs 468kW with a Stage 1 tune (alternatively, $12,000 if you BYO car), or 522kW+ with a Stage 2 (added price TBC), a healthy boost on the 303kW produced by the standard 5.0-litre V8.

Although officially taking the ‘Stang to local Ford dealer stables may crush conversion business, Dean sees a new opportunity to sell styling, braking and performance modifications to thousands of fresh Mustang buyers.

“That’s what we’re banking on,” he confirms.

“The main reason to bring in the Mustang was to prepare our tooling for putting bodykits on them, doing Shelby mods and the Roush upgrades, and doing our own product line of unique components.

“So we thought let’s convert them and get them on the road anyway. It wasn’t really to sell new ones to people unless they really want them.”

Regardless of demand, Mustang Motorsport won’t be allowed to import the vehicles once official importation begins.

But having done the tooling hard yards, Dean at least hopes to convert the must-have Mustang Shelby GT on local soil before Christmas.

For standard 'Stang owners, the Roush tuning list includes an exhaust upgrade, cold air intake (for Ecoboost and V8), single- or triple-adjustable coil-over suspension, a front fascia kit with bonnet scoop, spoiler and front splitter and 20-inch black or polished forged wheels.

Shelby modifications add racing seats (with five-point harness), gauge kit, camber/castor plates, adjustable rear control arm, along with most Shelby-specific exterior and interior treatments.

Conversions are double the price of the imported Mustangs?
Pfft, I can see that going into a nose dive once the RHD carss are available from Ford, and they know it.

Order a RHD Mustang and add the Roush performance kit, you're still better off by a long shot.

MAD
2nd June 2015, 12:55 PM
Geez, they like to recoup their costs quickly!

HSE2
2nd June 2015, 02:04 PM
Why anyone would pay that given the factory availability has me beat.

I can however see the growth of another player in the modification scene.

He will be more a direct competitor to Herrod

WASP
2nd June 2015, 05:20 PM
He's catering to a buyer that wants one now and will pay a premium for one. Might seem ridiculous given the circumstances but if you have the cash and want your Mustang now, not next year then why not. I suspect he may be claiming their conversions are better than the factory because they are all hand built/assembled. Didn't Tickford claim their RHD conversions actually improved on the factory product?

4Vman
2nd June 2015, 06:07 PM
I actually read the article as they are R+D cars only and if someone wants to buy one that's the price...

It doesn't really read like they expect any sales.