PDA

View Full Version : 2015 F1 Thread

Pages : [1] 2

prydey
5th December 2014, 09:19 AM
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/12/16713.html

FIA announces changes to 2015 calendar and rules

The expanded calendar now features a provisional slot for Korea, which hosted four Grands Prix between 2010 and 2013. The Asian country is slated to host the fifth round of next year's championship on the first weekend of May.

China meanwhile is now set to host the third round of the championship, immediately before the F1 fraternity travels to Bahrain.

Alongside the calendar changes, the FIA confirmed a number of changes to the 2015 sporting regulations. The double points regulation brought in for 2014 will be dropped, as will the proposal for standing starts after safety car periods. Meanwhile the virtual safety car system trialled in the wake of Jules Bianchi's crash in Japan will be formally introduced in 2015. The FIA also announced the findings of its ten-man accident panel surrounding Bianchi's crash.

The FIA has also tweaked engine-related penalties. A full power unit change will no longer result in an automatic penalty; instead penalties will be applied cumulatively based on the individual components of each power unit. Grid penalties will no longer roll over into subsequent races: should a driver be unable to take the full penalty, the remainder will now be applied in the form of time penalties during the relevant race.

A new ten-second penalty meanwhile has been created in addition to the existing five-second rule.

The procedure for lapped cars under safety cars has also been modified: while lapped cars will be allowed to pass the safety car and unlap themselves, the safety car will no longer have to wait until they have rejoined the back of the grid.

The criteria for the issuing of super licenses was also tweaked, with a new minimum age of 18 approved for 2016. Drivers must also have run for a minimum of two years in minor formulas.

Finally, several changes were made to the 2015 technical regulations, including a rise in minimum weight to 702kg, new limitations on wind tunnel testing, tweaks to the rules concerning suspension layouts and improved survival cell protection.

The full statement from the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council:

The 2015 FIA Formula One World Championship calendar is confirmed as follows:

15/03 Australia
29/03 Malaysia
12/04 China
19/04 Bahrain
03/05 Korea (TBC)
10/05 Spain
24/05 Monaco
07/06 Canada
21/06 Austria
05/07 Britain
19/07 Germany
26/07 Hungary
23/08 Belgium
06/09 Italy
20/09 Singapore
27/09 Japan
11/10 Russia
25/10 USA
01/11 Mexico
15/11 Brazil
29/11 Abu Dhabi

2015 F1 SPORTING REGULATIONS

The following decisions were taken:

Points for both titles will no longer be doubled for the final Event of the Championship.

Standing Restarts
After consultation with the Teams who raised a number of safety concerns, Articles 42.7 and 42.8 on standing restarts have been rescinded.

Virtual Safety Car (VSC)
Following tests of the VSC system at the final Events of 2014, the introduction of the system has been approved for 2015. The VSC procedure may be initiated to neutralise a race upon the order of the clerk of the course. It will normally be used when double waved yellow flags are needed on any section of track and competitors or officials may be in danger, but the circumstances are not such as to warrant use of the safety car itself. The full text of the article is available in Annex I.

Suspending a race
When a race is suspended, the pit exit will be closed and all cars must now proceed slowly into the pit lane, not the starting grid. The first car to arrive in the pit lane should proceed directly to the pit exit staying in the fast lane, all the other cars should form up in a line behind the first car.

Team personnel or equipment on grid
If any team personnel or team equipment remain on the grid after the 15 second signal has been shown the driver of the car concerned must start the race from the pit lane. A ten second stop-and-go penalty will be imposed on any driver who fails to do this.

Power Unit Penalties
The replacement of a complete power unit will no longer result in a penalty, instead as specified in the current regulations, penalties will be applied cumulatively for individual components of the power unit.

If a grid place penalty is imposed, and the driver’s grid position is such that the full penalty cannot be applied, the remainder of the penalty will be applied in the form of a time penalty during the race (not at the next race as was previously the case) according to the following scale :

• 1 to 5 grid places untaken: A penalty under Article 16.3(a) will be applied.

• 6 to 10 grid places untaken: A penalty under Article 16.3(b) will be applied.

• 11 to 20 grid places untaken: A penalty under Article 16.3(c) will be applied.

• More than 20 grid places untaken: A penalty under Article 16.3(d) will be applied.

Time Penalties
In addition to the existing five-second penalty (Article 16.3a), a new ten-second penalty (Article 16.3b) will also be introduced, to be applied in the same manner.

Unsafe Release
If a car is deemed to have been released in an unsafe condition during a race a ten second stop-and-go penalty will be imposed on the driver concerned. An additional penalty will be imposed on any driver who, in the opinion of the stewards, continues to drive a car knowing it to have been released in an unsafe condition.

Qualifying Procedure
The qualifying procedure was clarified: for cases when 24 cars are eligible seven will be excluded after Q1 and Q2, if 22 cars are eligible six cars will be excluded after Q1 and Q2, and so on if fewer cars are eligible.

Safety Car: lapped cars
Once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap, the race director will no longer have to wait for all the lapped cars to reach the back of the pack behind the safety car.

2015 TECHNICAL REGULATIONS
- The weight of the car, without fuel, must not be less than 702kg at all times during the Event (up from 701kg).

- Changes have been made to the rules governing Wind Tunnel Testing and with regard to the aerodynamic reporting periods for 2015 and 2016.

- Any suspension system fitted to the front wheels must be so arranged that its response results only from changes in load applied to the front wheels.

- Any suspension system fitted to the rear wheels must be so arranged that its response results only from changes in load applied to the rear wheels.

- The Zylon anti-intrusion panels on both sides of the survival cell have been extended upwards to the rim of the cockpit and alongside the pilot’s head.

NEXT MEETING OF THE STRATEGY GROUP
The FIA President confirmed that the next meeting of the Strategy Group would take place on 18 December, and would focus reducing costs, improving the show, making cars quicker and more difficult to drive, and reviewing the technical and sporting regulations, with the aim of simplifying the rules where possible.

ACCIDENT PANEL
A review of all the evidence and other information about the events leading up to Jules Bianchi’s accident at the Japanese Grand Prix 5 October 2014, Suzuka, has been carried out by the 10-man Accident Panel, appointed by the FIA and chaired by Safety Commission President Peter Wright. The Panel has issued a 396-page report on their findings with recommendations for improvements, many relevant to all of motor sport. This has been presented to the FIA World Motor Sport Council, which accepted the findings and gave a mandate to implement the full recommendations and conclusions of the report. The summary issued by the panel can be found on fia.com.

CRITERIA FOR THE ISSUING OF SUPER LICENCES
A proposal on the conditions of attribution of the Super Licence was approved for 2016, on the basis of the following criteria:

1 - Safety criteria
The following changes have been made compared to the current regulations:

- There is a valid driving licence requirement.

- There is a minimum age requirement (18yo).

- There is a verification of knowledge of the F1 Sporting Regulations/ISC rules.

2 - Experience criteria
With the following changes compared to the current regulations:

- There is the 300km in F1 TCC or TPC_ as a minimum requirement.

- There is a 2 years minimum running in minor Formulas.

3 - Performance criteria
With the following changes compared to the current regulations:

- There is a point system requirement, based on the driver results in previous Formulas.

glad to see the back of double points and standing starts after safety cars. also good that the lapped cars no longer have to join the back of the queue before the safety car can come in, although i would still prefer if the lapped cars stayed where they were. by letting them unlap themselves, it hands a free kick to any driver behind them, and disadvantages any driver that had to pass them under race conditions.

HSE2
12th December 2014, 08:09 PM
And we have Jenson and Alonso together at big mac.

prydey
12th December 2014, 08:14 PM
2015 Driver line up

Mercedes - Rosberg and Hamilton
Red Bull - Dan Dic and Kyvat
Williams - Bottas and Massa
Ferrari - Vettel and Raikonnen
McLaren - Alonso and Button
Force India - Hulkenberg and Perez
Toro Rosso - Verstappen and Sainz Jnr
Lotus - Grosjean and Maldonaldo
Sauber - Ericsson and Nasr

FTe217
15th December 2014, 11:40 PM
Thanks Rob.
Got to say friggin weird having Pettel in RED ?!
I can't jump for joy like you do most times when having a good new driver arrive - just watch IF we make him a decent faster car and he's at the pointy end ???, Schumi won me over LOL......

haha in the old days there would always be a fire work or two having a frenchy and pom together, I suppose the modern era things have been forgotton more so nowadays.

prydey
16th December 2014, 05:04 AM
Caterham will also be on the grid. they have been given permission to use their 2014 spec cars i believe.

Maurie - you'll be cheering for vettel in no time:highly_amused:

HSE2
16th December 2014, 05:40 AM
This is a good move for vettel.

He won his titles in cars that had a destinct advanatge that he took full advantage of. Pretty much unmatched by his team mates in that era.

Can fazari build a car that suits him, can he adapt to his new car? All good points.

I have wanted to see him challenged and was disappointed with how he responded this season gone. I really expected him to come out and blow dan away in the back half. He sort of came good but not like the seb of the last three years.

Then. We have redbull.

Can they fire back after one season completely off the pace, as was everyone against the silver arrows.

Lewis v Niko. Mk2

And we have bent bernie not being a fan of the new engines and wants hybrid power plants with either V8 or V10 configurations back.

FTe217
16th December 2014, 08:50 AM
Well Bernie is bernie - when having that much control and $$$$ your in your own planet, not like the usual symptons of old age know what I mean :)

We shall see Rob :) as I said and Ian, obviously we will build a nice new machine BUT it all depends that the power gets down to the ground handling and that pettel embraces it - its obvious when provided a good car he can drive but from last seasons car he couldn't drive over nor could the team get the balance yet his rookie team mate owned him.
Merc have the rest of main players on notice as the norm, catch us if you can, obviously your always caught sooner or later, hopefully its next season, be good with the driver changes having Merc,maccas, Ferrari, RB really fighting it out, fingers crossed.

TS50
16th December 2014, 02:15 PM
Thanks Rob.
Got to say friggin weird having Pettel in RED ?!
I can't jump for joy like you do most times when having a good new driver arrive - just watch IF we make him a decent faster car and he's at the pointy end ???, Schumi won me over LOL......

haha in the old days there would always be a fire work or two having a frenchy and pom together, I suppose the modern era things have been forgotton more so nowadays.

Who's French?
Alonso is Spainish

FTe217
16th December 2014, 02:19 PM
yer god damn it I keep thinking he's a frenchy LOL.....just proves never cared for alonso, he's rated highly just can't drive a slow arse Scarlett.
Schumi did.

TS50
16th December 2014, 02:22 PM
isn't your wife spainish?

FTe217
16th December 2014, 02:48 PM
nope - portugese :)

TS50
16th December 2014, 02:55 PM
ahh that's right
Sorry
I was just going to say, remember Alonso is same nationality as your wife, stupid me

FTe217
16th December 2014, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't have kicked her out of bed if spanish though :highly_amused:

TS50
16th December 2014, 03:30 PM
I wouldn't have kicked her out of bed if spanish though :highly_amused:

hahaha, not going there
I can get myself in enough trouble by myself thanks

HSE2
21st January 2015, 05:37 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10906265_848868308510491_8529129009521283659_n.jpg ?oh=341ce7d40247fe7df48ea70300540b8f&oe=552C6E4B&__gda__=1428421409_74c97f8308d5e25375051a5b1735366 e

TS50
21st January 2015, 06:42 PM
we can but hope

prydey
21st January 2015, 07:01 PM
is that an artist impression or an actual 2015 pic? they changed the rules in the hope of eradicating all the little 'willies' on the front of the cars, but williams still have theirs, albeit a little smaller.

VZTRT
22nd January 2015, 06:35 AM
Just hoping its a bit more competitive this year. While Dan's wins were great watching you knew it was going to be Merc that would take the tittle.

HSE2
22nd January 2015, 08:24 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/1270281_10152922993342936_5884847195641291433_o.jp g

HSE2
22nd January 2015, 08:25 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/10896158_10152922994777936_5278438336405557699_o.j pg

prydey
22nd January 2015, 09:53 AM
Just hoping its a bit more competitive this year. While Dan's wins were great watching you knew it was going to be Merc that would take the tittle.

yes, it would be good to see more than 1 team fighting for 1st and 3-5 teams fighting for 3rd, but having said that, i enjoyed last year immensely. one of the best seasons ever. it may sound strange to say that given how far in front the mercs were, but the rivalry between the 2 merc drivers kept the interest level up all season, and the fight between the others for the minors was very good most times. there was no real form guide either, as each round there was a different team vying for that 3rd spot.

really hoping Honda can hit the ground running, and that ferrari can give kimi and seb a decent car.

HSE2
22nd January 2015, 04:22 PM
5 GPs have had there start times shifted back one hour in the name of safety.

Melbourne is one such GP.

WKD60
22nd January 2015, 05:45 PM
Fingers crossed this is close....

prydey
22nd January 2015, 09:35 PM
mclaren's might not be the quickest but they always have the best looking cars.

WKD60
27th January 2015, 06:10 PM

WKD60
30th January 2015, 07:37 AM
mclaren's might not be the quickest but they always have the best looking cars.

I agree... to a point. The silver is getting a bit long in the tooth. :(

I'd love to see them mix it up and pay homage to their previous Honda heyday, such as the pic I posted in post #23.

But instead, we get this:

Sure, it looks ok... But I can't help but feel they missed a real opportunity to inject something new into their design, without losing their identity. Oh well.

HSE2
30th January 2015, 07:54 AM
See they are letting Honda change work on their engine during the season now. Good move.

Some of the drivers are voicing support for the move to 1000bhp.

FTe217
30th January 2015, 08:06 AM
Typically Darth Vader McLaren looking like our dreaded GM/hsv - the commies :)
Got to say looks pretty good - agree silver arrows theme has been done enough - the previous Marlboro Honda Vaders looked good as well BUT barring the many beautiful Scarletts babies nothing, nothing will ever beat the JPS Lotus days with Sennas yellow helmut. That car was epic before they going the fugly Camel yellow.

Cars are looking a lot better to date.

prydey
30th January 2015, 07:04 PM
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2015/1/16779.html

Renault claiming substantial improvements to their 2015 powerplant.

FPV+fteT3
30th January 2015, 08:12 PM
One thing that strikes me is the lack of sponsorship on most cars, I guess F1 is feeling the pinch like most other forms of motorsport.

I wonder if its a financial sign of the times or a money spent better elsewhere option for companies sponsoring motorsport. Even at home the V8 super taxis are struggling to find sponsor $$.

FTe217
30th January 2015, 08:21 PM
Good to read Renau has upped their power, nothing like having the $$$ to virtually rebuild a new power plant, hopefully Ricco can shove those macs out of the way then let the Ferrari through :)

WKD60
30th January 2015, 10:40 PM
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/launch-sf15-t-ferrari_3258013.jpg?_subject_uid=67554388&w=AAANxeEupQhJFqxfdqQRHo3WduoD--_p9O5zPxTsFPmVHg

Good to see Ferrari have got a fresh look... (tic)

HSE2
30th January 2015, 11:08 PM
Starting to look forward to getting back to racing.

prydey
31st January 2015, 02:09 AM
Starting to look forward to getting back to racing.

i want to see Maurie start cheering for Vettel:highly_amused:

FTe217
31st January 2015, 07:47 AM
:p:confused: yes I really don't know how this is going to get into my blood - Kimi has always been one of my favs so I'm right behind he getting it over pettel I hope but he's now with us - Schumi took some getting used to to but we were in such doldrums back then he and Braun won everyone over soon enough, we shall see.
2015 car is looking ok, just depends they have found more powa and better balance.

Elks
31st January 2015, 02:52 PM
Well if Kimi can show up Vettel that would be just brilliant.

TS50
1st February 2015, 10:49 AM
Well if Kimi can show up Vettel that would be just brilliant.

you mean like Dan did in 2014?

FTe217
1st February 2015, 01:42 PM
Ofcourse like Dan did - no different just different sides but both new cars new team.
Pettel has already quoted don't expect miracles as yet.
IF the ride suits Kimi he'll be hard to beat for pettel, even though the team is fresh and many new members Kimi knows the brand and attitudes of the heirachy.
Going to be interesting to watch what transpires.

VZTRT
2nd February 2015, 07:12 AM
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2015/1/16779.html

Renault claiming substantial improvements to their 2015 powerplant.

Hopefully this makes more teams being able to win races and the Championship.

prydey
5th February 2015, 06:27 PM
First test completed at Jerez

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2015/2/16805.html

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/04/f1-jerez-2015-test-cumulative-times-lap-count-totals-and-analysis/

not much to be read in to the times except that the ferrari appears a much better package than last year. mercedes has very good reliability clocking up the most laps of any team. mclaren/honda didn't spend much time on track which was probably to be expected.

FTe217
5th February 2015, 08:31 PM
Thanks Rob.

prydey
5th February 2015, 10:14 PM
Not surprisingly the times are well quicker than last year given it was all new then

prydey
6th February 2015, 07:21 AM
another article with all the times and km listed out.

http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2015/2/16808.html

FTe217
6th February 2015, 01:02 PM
Thanks mate again.

Interesting below from it :

Jerez test comparison - Year on Year
2014 - 1,470 total laps (6,509 kilometres) completed in four days
2015 - 2,294 total laps (10,156 kilometres) completed in four days
That's a 56 percent increase

2014 fastest overall time - 1m 23.276s (Kevin Magnussen)
2015 fastest overall time - 1m20.841s (Kimi Raikkonen)
That's 2.9 percent faster

HSE2
9th February 2015, 01:41 PM
Top Gear - Star in a car. Wow.

TS50
9th February 2015, 01:46 PM
the aussie guy I am assuming you mean

TS50
13th February 2015, 08:29 AM
Only 10 races this year live on Ten
others on Foxtel

Its getting that way if you want to watch motorsport
you need Foxtel

http://autoaction.com.au/fox-sports-network-ten-split-formula-1-coverage-2015/

Fox Sports and Network Ten to split Formula 1 coverage from 2015
Formula 1
February 13, 2015

FacebookTwitter

GET READY to pay for a full season of Formula 1 coverage, Fox Sports and Network Ten have announce they have signed a joint broadcast deal effective immediately.

Fox Sports will broadcast all 20 Formula 1 Grands Prix this year, including every session in High Definition.

Network Ten will broadcast 10 races live, including the Australian Grand Prix, and 10 more as a one hour highlight show on the following Monday on One HD.

Both feeds will continue to show the Sky Sports F1 broadcast from the United Kingdom.

“This is a monumental deal for F1 fans and is in line with our V8 Supercars and MotoGP arrangements, bringing Australian viewers through FOX SPORTS on Foxtel LIVE coverage of every practice, qualifying and Championship Race from this season,” said Fox Sports CEO Patrick Delany.

“On top of this, we have reached an extraordinary affiliate agreement with Sky to deliver through FOX SPORTS the same incredible Formula 1 coverage which is provided by Sky Sports in the UK.”

Channel 10 will continue to cover the Australian Grand Prix and broadcast all of its sessions live.

Chief Executive Officer of the Formula One group, Bernie Ecclestone, said: “I am very happy to continue working with Network Ten and also with FOX SPORTS and am confident that their coverage will work out extremely well.”

Channel 10 is yet to announce which races it will broadcast live.

VZTRT
13th February 2015, 08:31 AM
Well this is getting annoying.

4Vman
13th February 2015, 08:32 AM
GET F%^KED.

TS50
13th February 2015, 08:35 AM
I was umming and ahhing about getting rid of Foxtel, I guess I will keep it now

FTe217
13th February 2015, 08:36 AM
I'm loving it :) when in Sydney anybody is welcome :highly_amused:

prydey
13th February 2015, 08:40 AM
as much as i'd like it, i just can't justify the spend. married, 2 kids at school, mortgage, and everything else that goes with owning a house etc etc, paying for tv is just not going to happen.

i realised as more and more sport went to paytv that it was going to happen sooner or later, so it was good while it lasted.

hopefully included in the 10 races ch10 show, will be australia, monaco, spa, silverstone and japan.

4Vman
13th February 2015, 08:40 AM
I was umming and ahhing about getting rid of Foxtel, I guess I will keep it now
On principle ill never get it again now.

Give it 10 years and there'll be no such thing as Commercial FTA TV....

TS50
13th February 2015, 09:03 AM
for 15 odd years
these days if you are with Telstra, you can bundle it with your phone and internet and the cost isn't too bad

There are some really good shows to watch on it, the discovery and doco channels are good

4Vman
13th February 2015, 09:09 AM
for 15 odd years
these days if you are with Telstra, you can bundle it with your phone and internet and the cost isn't too bad

There are some really good shows to watch on it, the discovery and doco channels are good
I miss some of the discovery channel docco's etc but it was costing me $100 a month, that's a night out with the fam, so Foxtel can miss out.

VZTRT
13th February 2015, 09:13 AM
I'm in two minds about cancelling the Foxtel. Its $49 a month (with sports channel) but we don't watch it, the History and music channels are the only thing I do watch. Hooking up to Nextflix or Presto (Stan is crap BTW) would be more beneficial for me. But this is annoying me.

I wonder if the BBC has it live on their iplayer in England.

TS50
13th February 2015, 09:13 AM
mine is now under 70 a month

FTe217
13th February 2015, 10:32 AM
Norm you were on the full whammy though - my bro was the same paying $100 oh and you get the printed programme thrown :) what a load of crap.
Programs are 1 button away as all would know.
Like Capt Slow home wifi land line is bundled in our Telstra bill, typically you can fine tune your channel wants - that was with the lowest cost @ $49 initially, were paying just on $60 watching what were happy to see more so every single sport channel/s.....our family are sport and watching the countless live games ie football is priority for the money well worth it, then having motorsport/s another must have happy as a pig in you know what, other channels wife likes watching ie Housing Designs etcetc loves it, Discovery/movies were happy.
prydey - I know you love your caffeine, guess what coming from euro blood so do we, $1k on a coffee machine OTT nowadays :) nespresso's do the job perfectly mind you the Aldi one does the job as well :) lots of Foxtel for $1k ;)

4Vman
13th February 2015, 10:36 AM
Got a smart TV now and soon international receiver... Problem solved.

FTe217
13th February 2015, 10:50 AM
So your going to google box as well :highly_amused:

prydey
13th February 2015, 12:57 PM
Maurie, wash your mouth out, comparing pods to real coffee!

Point taken though. We all prioritise our money in different ways.

FTe217
13th February 2015, 01:06 PM
haha, Rob, believe me I had same thoughts - little Italy in Syd have been my haunts since a boy - wherever I travel I have to find a decent espresso etcetc wait there's more, my cousins are euro snobs and don't believe in your 1k machines, the old school ground coffee percolators eat the machines and I have to agree but I was a big nespresso knocker saying that was over priced etc but my sister always the big spender had to have one years ago, got to say it won me over mind you as did the $70 Aldi one couldn't believe not too bad at all.
Importantly another big winner - any driving holiday nespresso/pods fit into a small box and taken every trip - bliss.
Your right all to its own.

HSE2
13th February 2015, 05:19 PM
Australian live broadcast schedule for 2015 Formula 1 World Championship
1. March 13-15: Melbourne, Australia (FOX & TEN)
2. March 27-29: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (FOX)
3. April 10-12: Shanghai, China (FOX)
4. April 17-19: Sakhir, Bahrain (FOX & TEN)
5. May 8-10: Catalunya, Spain (FOX)
6. May 22-24: Monte Carlo, Monaco (FOX & TEN)
7. June 5-7: Montreal, Canada (FOX)
8. June 19-21: Spielberg, Austria (FOX & TEN)
9. July 3-5: Silverstone, Great Britain (FOX)
10. July 17-19: TBA, Germany (FOX & TEN)
11. July 24-26: Budapest, Hungary (FOX)
12. August 21-23: Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium (FOX & TEN)
13. September 4-6: Monza, Italy (FOX)
14. September 18-20: Singapore (FOX & TEN)
15. September 25-27: Suzuka, Japan (FOX)
16. October 9-11: Sochi, Russia (FOX & TEN)
17. October 23-25: Austin, United States (FOX)
18. October 30-November 1: Mexico City, Mexico (FOX & TEN)
19. November 13-15: Sao Paulo, Brazil (FOX)
20. November 27-29: Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi (FOX & TEN)

HSE2
13th February 2015, 05:22 PM
hopefully included in the 10 races ch10 show, will be australia, monaco, spa, silverstone and japan.

3/5 Rob

prydey
13th February 2015, 05:44 PM
bahrain and abu dhabi. booooo. no silverstone?? oh well, at least i can watch spa.

i wonder if there will be delayed telecasts or replays? time will tell. probably not though i'm guessing. fox would want to protect their investment.

HSE2
13th February 2015, 05:53 PM
1 hour highlights like the V8s

WKD60
13th February 2015, 10:53 PM
What a croc.

Looks like it's a VPN and stream solution then

Paxton
14th February 2015, 05:41 AM
Best. News. Ever.

No More channel 10 going "and now we have to take a quick commercial break" and you miss 10 mins of the race. I won't be watching the Taxis, but with F1 on Fox, I'm very happy.

VZTRT
16th February 2015, 06:47 AM
What a croc.

Looks like it's a VPN and stream solution then

Which country are going to able to stream it from?

WKD60
16th February 2015, 05:32 PM
Plan will be UK.

VZTRT
17th February 2015, 06:33 AM
Plan will be UK.

They're in the same boat.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/320685/bbc-to-show-10-live-formula-1-races-in-2015/

HSE2
19th February 2015, 11:45 AM
Mid-season F1 helmet design changes banned
Thursday 19th February, 2015 10:36am
Author: SpeedCafe ©

helmet design more than 50 times in his career
Sebastian Vettel has changed his helmet design more than 50 times in his career

Drivers will be banned from changing their helmet design during the season under new Formula 1 guidelines.

The new rule, which was initially approved by the F1 Commission at a meeting this week, has already been met with negativity from former drivers.

Prior to this season drivers have been able to freely change their helmet design with many taking up the option.

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has been among those who have regularly changed helmet design during the campaign, using more than 50 different helmets in his career to date.

It is understood the rule, which is yet to be ratified at the World Motor Sport Council, has been implemented to aid the promotion of sport’s drivers.

Former F1 driver Alex Wurz, chairman of the Grand Prix Drivers Association took to social media to issue his thoughts on the ruling.

The second four-day pre-season test is due to begin today at Spain’s Barcelona circuit.

Force India is set to make an appearance after sitting out the opening test at Jerez albeit with a 2014 specification car.

Mercedes test driver Pascal Wehrlein is due to join the Silverstone-based team for Thursday and Saturday.

Test drivers from Williams and Lotus will take part in the test with Susie Wolff piloting the FW37 on Thursday, while GP2 champion Jolyon Palmer will slot into the E23 on Friday

prydey
19th February 2015, 05:23 PM
Stupid! What next?

4Vman
19th February 2015, 05:30 PM
Stupid! What next?

3 pairs of underwear per weekend.

Have an "oopps" moment requiring a new pair? You get relegated to the rear of the grid...

WKD60
19th February 2015, 09:27 PM
I'm all for it. Helmets have always been, and should always be, the driver's 'signature'. It's tradition.

Having said that, I'm also for one-of designs for anniversaries, remembrance and such, that usually get auctioned later for charity.

I am NOT for changing helmet designs every race like we've seen from one such self absorbed little prat the last few years. It's retarded.

prydey
19th February 2015, 09:32 PM
I'm all for it. Helmets have always been, and should always be, the driver's 'signature'. It's tradition.

Having said that, I'm also for one-of designs for anniversaries, remembrance and such, that usually get auctioned later for charity.

I am NOT for changing helmet designs every race like we've seen from one such self absorbed little prat the last few years. It's retarded.

i agree with the sentiment (except the last line), but making it mandatory??? sorry, doesn't matter which way you cut it, it just seems absurd.

FTe217
19th February 2015, 11:04 PM
Well said wkd - and I have to somehow like pettel, tbh if when he wins will be a strange feeling :)

HSE2
20th February 2015, 09:21 AM
Who is it really hurting?

If some can afford it, is it not keeping some one in a job?

HSE2
20th February 2015, 09:21 AM
See below for Barcelona test times – Day 1

Pastor Maldonado

Lotus/Mercedes

1:25.011

Kimi Raikkonen

Ferrari

1:25.167

Daniel Ricciardo

Red Bull/Renault

1:25.547

Sergio Perez

Force India/Mercedes

1:26.636

Felipe Nasr

Sauber/Ferrari

1:27.307

Max Verstappen

Toro Rosso/Renault

1:27.307

Jenson Button

McLaren/Honda

1:28.182

Pascal Wehrlein

Force India/Mercedes

1:28.329

Pascal Wehrlein

Mercedes

1:28.489

Susie Wolff

Williams/Mercedes

1:28.906

Lewis Hamilton

Mercedes

1:30.429

prydey
25th February 2015, 04:27 PM
Barcelona test numbers

http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2015/2/16829.html

This week's unofficial aggregate test times from Barcelona:
1. Romain Grosjean, Lotus, 1m 24.067s, 111 laps
2. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1m 24.321s, 197 laps
3. Pastor Maldonado, Lotus, 1m 24.348s, 173 laps
4. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, 1m 24.574s, 202 laps
5. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1m 24.584s, 164 laps
6. Felipe Massa, Williams, 1m 24.672s, 143 laps
7. Sergio Perez, Force India, 1m 24.702s, 155 laps
8. Max Verstappen, Toro Rosso, 1m 24.739s, 223 laps
9. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1m 24.923s, 201 laps
10. Daniil Kvyat, Red Bull, 1m 24.941s, 216 laps
11. Felipe Nasr, Sauber, 1m 24.956s, 152 laps
12. Valtteri Bottas, Williams, 1m 25.345s, 178 laps
13. Carlos Sainz Jr, Toro Rosso, 1m 25.604s, 188 laps
14. Fernando Alonso, McLaren, 1m 25.961s, 79 laps
15. Jolyon Palmer, Lotus, 1m 26.280s, 77 laps
16. Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, 1m 26.312s, 181 laps
17. Marcus Ericsson, Sauber, 1m 26.340s, 166 laps
18. Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, 1m 26.591s, 36 laps
19. Pascal Wehrlein, Force India, 1m 27.333s, 113 laps
20. Jenson Button, McLaren, 1m 28.182s, 45 laps
21. Pascal Wehrlein, Mercedes, 1m 28.489s, 48 laps
22. Susie Wolff, Williams, 1m 28.906s, 86 laps

Total distance run - by team (power unit, where different):
1. Mercedes, 446 laps - 2,076 km
2. Red Bull (Renault), 418 laps - 1,945 km
3. Toro Rosso (Renault), 411 laps - 1,913 km
4. Williams (Mercedes), 407 laps - 1,894 km
5. Lotus (Mercedes), 361 laps - 1,680 km
6. Ferrari, 345 laps - 1, 605 km
7. Sauber (Ferrari), 318 laps - 1,480 km
8. Force India (Mercedes), 304 laps - 1,415 km
9. McLaren (Honda), 124 laps - 577 km

Total distance run - by power unit:
1. Mercedes, 1,518 laps - 7,066 km
2. Renault, 829 laps - 3,858 km
3. Ferrari, 663 laps - 3,086 km
4. Honda, 124 laps - 577 km

Longest stints - by tyre compound:
Supersoft compound - 5 laps (Felipe Nasr; Sergio Perez; Pascal Wehrlein)
Soft compound - 16 laps (Valtteri Bottas)
Medium compound - 24 laps (Max Verstappen)
Prototype medium compound* - 14 laps (Daniel Ricciardo)
Hard compound - 27 laps (Valtteri Bottas)
Intermediate compound - 7 laps (Sebastian Vettel)

*Being assessed by Pirelli for development purposes

Second test comparison - Year on Year*
2014 (Bahrain) - 2,322 laps (12,566 km) completed in four days
2015 (Barcelona) - 3,134 laps (14,587 km) completed in four days
That's a 16 percent increase

2014 fastest lap in qualifying at Barcelona - 1m 25.232s (Lewis Hamilton)
2015 fastest lap in testing at Barcelona - 1m 24.067s (Romain Grosjean)
That's 1.4 percent faster

prydey
25th February 2015, 04:28 PM
Alonso taken to hospital after crash on day 4

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2015/2/16826.html

mclaren debunking some rumours

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2015/2/16832.html

FTe217
25th February 2015, 05:27 PM
I saw this news last night - as much as I never wish anyone getting hurt must admit being McLaren it did bring a smile :)

TS50
25th February 2015, 06:06 PM
being Alonso, it makes me sad, I like the boy

now if it had been seb and ferarri, a huge smile

FTe217
25th February 2015, 07:29 PM
If Pettel, well maybe I won't be that upset :) but to ruin a scarlett is :( 16 constructors titles, long way back to darth fader but Williams impressive @ 9 last way back in '97 FYI.

prydey
27th February 2015, 07:23 PM
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2015/2/16837.html

Alonso out of hospital but will miss the final 4 day test that got underway today. i read elsewhere that the FIA are also looking in to alonso's crash.

FTe217
2nd March 2015, 10:31 AM
and FIA is going to re check his health for the AGP, obviously he'll be fine but hopefully the car will dnf and its twin :)
I was checking out the Force India - livery looks ok.

9days away - looking forward to the start of the season.

VZTRT
10th March 2015, 08:30 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/motorsport/gp-ticket-sales-boom-as-daniel-ricciardo-pulls-crowds-20150309-13zh4j.html

Australia loves the bandwagon.

GP ticket sales boom as Daniel Ricciardo pulls crowds

Date
March 9, 2015 - 8:17PM

Big-smiling Australian Formula 1 star Daniel Ricciardo's popularity is helping to drive a $2 million boost in ticket sales leading up to Sunday's Melbourne Grand Prix at Albert Park.

Race organisers are crediting Ricciardo's rapid emergence as a potential future F1 world champion for significant increases in pre-event bookings compared with last year.

"There's definitely a Ricciardo factor in play," Australian Grand Prix Corporation chief executive Andrew Westacott told Fairfax Media. "He resonates with the Australian public. Along with the initiatives that we've worked on for the past 12 months, he has led to ticket sales being up on the same time last year."

The Australian Grand Prix has been focusing its advertising on Ricciardo since late last year, banking on his breakout success in 2014 to attract a bigger crowd and more corporate hospitality sales.

The genial 25-year-old from Perth was the unexpected star of last year's Mercedes-dominated F1 world championship, winning the only three races not captured by world champion Lewis Hamilton and his title runner-up teammate Nico Rosberg.

Ricciardo also upstaged four-time back-to-back world champion Sebastian Vettel in his first season with Red Bull Racing as fellow Australian Mark Webber's replacement.

He has been promoted to RBR team leader this year following Vettel's defection to struggling glamour team Ferrari.

Although Hamilton and Rosberg are expected to again set the pace at Albert Park and for the rest of the season, Ricciardo is among their most likely challengers, especially if his new Red Bull-Renault RB11 closes some of the gap to the Silver Arrows.

He finished second on the track in a stunning debut with RBR in last year's race, only to be disqualified after the race due to an arcane technical infringement by his team.

According to AGPC figures, the "Ricciardo factor" has helped increase ticket pre-sales by 5per cent, with a final week rush for general admission tickets set to further boost the gain.

Westacott estimates that Ricciardo's rise to become a front-runner could add an extra 10,000 to the crowd over the four days of the Australian GP, which begins at the Albert Park lakeside street circuit on Thursday.

That increase alone would be worth an additional $2 million in revenue, supporting projections that total race income will rise from last year's $38.3 million to more than $40 million.

"It's not just Daniel leading to the increase, but he's definitely a big factor," Westacott said. "Everyone we talk to is interested in the grand prix because of what Daniel's achieved."

AGPC tracking of advance sales indicate total revenue will be up by as much as 6per cent. The Victorian government funded a record shortfall of $59.9million for the event last year.

"Everything's heading in the right direction," Westacott said. "General admission sales are picking up each day."

Lucrative grandstand ticket sales are on course to rise by up to 4per cent, while demand for corporate hospitality suites has soared by 8per cent.

Long-time race chief Ron Walker, who will step down as chairman of the AGPC after Sunday, is not surprised that Ricciardo is a major influence in attracting a bigger crowd.

"I've never known a personality like him, frankly," Walker told Fairfax Media. "Ricciardo is unbelievable. When he signs somebody's program, he does it with a passion and he looks them in the eye and gives them that huge smile.

"He really believes in what he is doing, so that smile speaks volumes about the man himself. And he has the will to win."

TICK4D-TAS
10th March 2015, 08:48 AM
I must admit that I am one of them!

Although, F1 has been on my 'to do' list for a few years. This just happens to be the year that I can do it. That being said, I did pay extra for the Red Bull experience so that I can get a 1hr seminar with Daniel and Christian on the Friday night.

prydey
10th March 2015, 08:55 AM
Shame that Alonso won't be racing, but best to be safe i guess. just shows how far we have come with precautions and knowledge surrounding head injuries. Its not so much that he won't have recovered from his crash, but moreso the risks involved if he were to have another head injury within a short space of time.

Magnussen is cheering. he now gets to drive at the Melb GP.

HSE2
13th March 2015, 11:56 AM
On track now. Seem to sound slightly louder. or my imagination is playing tricks

prydey
13th March 2015, 12:21 PM
no, i don't think its your imagination. i did hear the commentary team make the same observation, and i wasn't really listening but something has changed to make them louder. not sure if its something in the exhaust, or just through the normal course of development.

as much as there was a big outcry, myself included, you do get used to changes eventually. it doesn't change the tv viewing spectacle a lot. moreso the environment at the ground where it would be most noticed.

HSE2
13th March 2015, 12:26 PM
They sound ok to me.

they will sound better tomorrow when I am there.

FTe217
13th March 2015, 12:37 PM
Changes never stop - just F1 is way ahead of dinosaur 4door V8's ;)
Hey I'd love it going back to big wings, huge staggered fit tyres but it ain't going to happen, used to think the first Renault turbos were woeful but my they went FAST till they blew up LOL.......
Nothing beats being around F1 cars at full tilt imo, I started hearing them live when attending the 1st Adelaide GP back in '84...now that was epic !!!! my pics of those days are amazing history then onto Melb I jizzed every single Ferrari Schumi lap being there 4 odd times.
By the way - NSW election coming up Lib Premier Baird has said if re elected he's gunning for Sydney to take it away from Melb FYI.......

FTe217
13th March 2015, 01:45 PM
Having checked the track program, shame no Touring Car Masters.

TS50
13th March 2015, 01:50 PM
they have old cars exhaust being broadcast over the circuit speakers

4Vman
13th March 2015, 02:48 PM
they have old cars exhaust being broadcast over the circuit speakers

Lol they better because I'm there and the F1s sound pathetic

HSE2
13th March 2015, 05:12 PM
some crazy legal stuff going on with Sauber.

If you had paid 8 million euro you would be a little bit pissed and not being able to drive.

Archilino
13th March 2015, 05:32 PM
some crazy legal stuff going on with Sauber.

If you had paid 8 million euro you would be a little bit pissed and not being able to drive.
Rumor has it the other two drivers are bringing in 40mill to Sauber so one would assume much more than Giedo van der Gard is

HSE2
13th March 2015, 05:36 PM
ah ha.

prydey
13th March 2015, 05:53 PM
Rumour also suggests the money from the current pay drivers will be used to pay out the previous pay driver. Either way, not a good situation for Sauber.

TS50
14th March 2015, 09:53 AM
It just shows how hard it has become to race, be it V8s or F1
The cost to be competitive is huge Even the cost to be a midfielder is huge
As the world economy is still not great, it gets hard to obtain sponsorship

I blame greedy people like Bernie (and TC in V8 land) to have caused this

prydey
14th March 2015, 12:35 PM
really enjoying webber's input so far. top stuff. great having guys that have only just stepped out to do special comment roles. always liked james allen as well. as for d.beattie, tom clarkson and co, the less the better. and don't get me started on having interviews with cast members of neighbours to fill in time. this is motorsport. talk about motorsport. get out there with camera and broadcast motorsport.

enough of the rant.

the work and detail in these cars is simply amazing. they really are works of art.

4Vman
14th March 2015, 02:01 PM
My o My RBR are struggling.....

TS50
14th March 2015, 03:05 PM
really enjoying webber's input so far. top stuff. great having guys that have only just stepped out to do special comment roles. always liked james allen as well. as for d.beattie, tom clarkson and co, the less the better. and don't get me started on having interviews with cast members of neighbours to fill in time. this is motorsport. talk about motorsport. get out there with camera and broadcast motorsport.

enough of the rant.

the work and detail in these cars is simply amazing. they really are works of art.

I don't mind Tom Clarkson as well
but channel 10 are the worst ever for promotion of their shows like neighbours
shits me to tears

prydey
14th March 2015, 08:34 PM
so as usual, qualifying is where the true picture is more fully revealed. race distance will add more info as to how cars look after tyres etc and cope with longer runs, but the covers come off fully for the first time in quali, particularly q2 and q3.

firstly, merc gp are as strong as ever. if anything, they could have increased their advantage, but hard to get a true picture after one event. hamiltons quali performance..... wow, just wow. absolutely brained them. hopefully rosberg can rise to the challenge so that the battle for first is at least a 2 horse race.

secondly, ferrari have made the biggest gain out of the rest of the field. their car looks good on track and the drivers seem happy with it. it looks like it will be a pretty healthy battle between williams and ferrari for 'best of the rest' honours. first blood to williams with massa getting a good lap in right at the end. not sure if its the calibre of the drivers, but to me it looked like the ferrari was easier to get a good lap out of it. both williams showed they had the speed, but also seemed to be a lot closer to the limit to achieve that. quite impressed with how quickly vettel has transitioned to his new team, and love his helmet tribute. we'll see if he obeys the rules and leaves it as is, but to those who missed the coverage, it is painted the same as schumachers first ever karting helmet (or something like that).

the young guys were extremely impressive also. nasr, sainz and verstappen, all young and in their first gp's and all putting in very impressive lap times. a lot was made of verstappen gettign a drive in F1 at such a young age, but he was very impressive.

torro rosso look to have their package a lot more sorted than their bigger brother, although DR did manage to pop in a fast lap right at the end. they are really struggling this weekend after having a fairly good pre season, so hopefully they sort out whatever gremlins are ailing them. a lot of finger pointing at the renault power unit, but i guess we'll know more in the future.

lotus are a million times better than last year, probably mostly due to the switch to merc engines.

maclaren - what can i say that hasn't been said by their own drivers. its going to be a long road ahead. i know they are new, but i expected them to be a bit further along than where they are. they are nowhere. some say they could even get lapped twice by the mercs. apparently its not just a new engine supplier, but they have also gone down new path in regard to their philosophy and how they build the car. not sure what that means exactly, just repeating some of the news i heard.

can't believe, now that the weekend is here, how quickly the off season went, and awesome to be back racing again. can't wait for tomorrow to see what the race throws up.

HSE2
15th March 2015, 08:52 AM
My thoughts so far.

Seb has pulled off a stroke of genius. Would have to be happy with where they are

Honda engines really do sound shit.

I don't mind the sound of the F1 cars, yes they have sounded more purposeful in the past but perhaps I am getting old, its nice to be able to just plug normal headset in to listen to commentary without full muffs.

At the track a few years ago, they were just painful to the ears.

Maybe half way.

You are then reminded at how much quieter V8s are today when the group A and C cars do some laps.

The cars look great at the track. Very vibrant.

RB boy are they selling heaps of merchandise here.

There are even merchandise tents back in the city.

And charge.

Crowd support looks to be good.

It's not cheap to get through the gate though.

Not sure how families go to racing events anymore.

Lastly, the number of manufacturers with displays here has blown me away.

No wonder hardly anyone is attending the festival in two weeks.

Wasted my money booking that trip.

HSE2
15th March 2015, 08:54 AM

enough of the rant.

Thought the same thing.

Will get in trouble for being sexist here, but what is with the window dressing female presenters?

Next we will have a green carpet dress critique.

prydey
15th March 2015, 09:15 AM
Thought the same thing.

Will get in trouble for being sexist here, but what is with the window dressing female presenters?

Next we will have a green carpet dress critique.

even my wife asked why there was a female presenter.... i mumbled something about minority groups getting the most attention yada yada yada.... she said its stupid, wouldn't you rather hear from someone who knows what they are talking about. bingo.

HSE2
15th March 2015, 10:02 AM
So its just not me. Thank god.

Paxton
15th March 2015, 11:32 AM
The Cars are louder. Woo hoo...

Foxtel's presentation is woeful... If I have to have ads, then I want to be able to control my sound so I can keep hearing the sound from the racing, even with Harvey Norman in half of the screen. I'm paying for this - not Channel 10...

Ricardo's going to have a tough season. 4 Engines is not enough for Ferarri, let alone Honda who will be on 4 engines before they get to Europe.

4Vman
15th March 2015, 01:00 PM
So its just not me. Thank god.

Gee I dont know, im more than happy to hear from Carmen Jorda'...

http://abcblogs.abc.es/otro-deporte/wp-content/blogs.dir/187/files/2015/02/carmen-jorda-f1-lotus-180780_561x316.jpg

prydey
15th March 2015, 01:12 PM
to be fair, its not just the women hosts. ch10 are treating this like the melb cup, and using all sorts of presenters, each as clueless as the next, to go round interviewing people. any spare time between races is used to promote all the different ch10 tv shows.

i'd be more than happy if they treated it like any other race, and had like a half to 1 hour pre race chat, and then show the race.

prydey
15th March 2015, 02:43 PM
So we are down to 15 starters. Shame for Williams with bottas out due to back trouble.

Magnussen's Mclaren Honda blew up on the formation lap and Kvyat parked his redbull as well.

Archilino
15th March 2015, 04:50 PM
I love F1 but that was an excruciatingly boring race.

Arnie doing podium interviews has saved the day.

Paxton
15th March 2015, 05:12 PM
I love F1 but that was an excruciatingly boring race.

You're right mate. If you get a good start, the outcome is basically a foregone conclusion unless they run into some trouble in the pits.

I miss the days where they had to refuel. Albert Park, as usual looks stunning. I hope it stays in Melbourne. The racing was clinical, but the reliability problems shouldn't be happening. Just look at Button's car with the power turned down. Hopefully this is all sorted out come Malaysia in a fortnight.

prydey
15th March 2015, 05:31 PM

i've read a couple of mixed feelings on that, but i agree, it was pretty cool, and clearly the drivers (hamilton at least) thought it was cool to be up there with 'terminator'. not sure if he was scripted but even the questions he asked weren't too bad. i've heard worse questions from ex drivers that should know better.

prydey
15th March 2015, 05:44 PM
Melbourne, as witnessed in most of the racing categories during the weekend, is quite a difficult place to pass.

i find it helps to have the live timing going at the same time, so you can follow just what everyone is doing through the whole race, as the producers don't always focus on the right battles, or sometimes drivers are setting quick times and it doesn't show up when you just watch the live pictures. also, esp this weekend where we don't use brundle and co, the commentators (except webber) don't always see whats going on. they're too busy trying to sound knowledgable, or just like the sound of their voice. for eg, i noticed in kimi's second pitstop the right rear wheelman waving his arms around when kimi exited, so i had a feeling the wheel didn't go on right. next thing kimi is pulling over. commentary team had no idea until the replays. i understand they have a bit more going on, but it happens all the time. they just don't see stuff.

to get the best live timing you have to subsribe to the F1 Access feature ($34/yr) but its great to have sector times, intervals, and gaps etc.

as for the reliability, i'm not that surprised. like many are saying, you'd think it would have been worse last year, but to me, they started last year quite safe, as they were flying in to the unknown. now with 12 months under their belts, a lot of the teams are starting to really up the ante and push the boundaries again. thats when you start to run in to reliability dramas, esp why you are trying to chase a big gap like merg gp have on everyone else.

great effort by vettel to get ferrari on the podium straight away, and real shame that kimi got baulked in turn 1 and then hit in the rear, which put him on the back foot. his pace through the middle stint was the quickest on track, probably due to his different strategy, and up until his pit drama and consequent retirement, it looked like he may have been able to come back and give massa a bit of a nudge.

good showing from sauber. they'll be over the moon with how the race went given the lead up was pretty much as far from ideal as you could get.

Archilino
15th March 2015, 06:19 PM
Hamiltons's fastest lap was a 1:30.9 the overall race lap record is Schumacher's 1:24.6 in 2004. The speed has regressed too far Imo. They need bring back refueling ASAP, hate seeing lap times 5/6 seconds slower than already slow qualifying times.

4Vman
15th March 2015, 06:22 PM
Hamiltons's fastest lap was a 1:30.9 the overall race lap record is Schumacher's 1:24.6 in 2004. The speed has regressed too far Imo. They need bring back refueling ASAP, hate seeing lap times 5/6 seconds slower than already slow qualifying times.

I was there in 2004 and on Thursday/Friday and they certainly don't look as fast now and sound bloody awful in comparison....

The ear piercing shrill of the 2 seater demo V10 reminded everyone what we've lost in terms of sound and theatre.

Add the loss of pace and I think the product has lost some of its appeal.

HSE2
15th March 2015, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=4Vman;72753]Gee I dont know, im more than happy to hear from Carmen Jorda'...

Did she host the coverage at any point i the last two days?

And if she did, did she talk about racing because what i am referring to was more like morning breakfast TV.

4Vman
15th March 2015, 06:26 PM
Did she host the coverage at any point i the last two days?

And if she did, did she talk about racing because what i am referring to was more like morning breakfast TV.
No she was interviewed as a race driver.

Ok, cool yeah that aspect of it was boring...

HSE2
The real winner today was some unknown guy doing post race interviews.

4Vman
The real winner today was some unknown guy doing post race interviews.

He'll be back....

VZTRT
15th March 2015, 07:11 PM
The Cars are louder. Woo hoo...

Foxtel's presentation is woeful... If I have to have ads, then I want to be able to control my sound so I can keep hearing the sound from the racing, even with Harvey Norman in half of the screen. I'm paying for this - not Channel 10...

Yeah I watched the race today and this drove me up the wall. The V8 coverage is much better. I assumed that the F1 was gonna be like the V8's. Nope....just a waste of time and as many ads as a commercial station.

HSE2
15th March 2015, 07:18 PM
Wow. So foxtel sucked. Lol

VZTRT
15th March 2015, 07:26 PM

For F1 it wasn't good. For V8's its actually really good. Plus getting every world cup match is great as there are some good matches that FTA will never show.

prydey
15th March 2015, 07:33 PM

2004 era was the peak. most lap records were set in that period. the ones that are younger than that are all tracks that are new, or introduced or changed after that era. the cars were very quick and very very expensive. they were covered in wings and fins and little aero aids etc it was also an era where it was incredibly difficult to have 2 cars in close proximity on the track. the aero was that sensitive that you couldn't get within a few hundred metres of another car without it really affecting your own cars performance. there were good and bad, like most eras.

the current cars do have the raw power, but without driver aids, and much less downforce (which actually allows closer racing), the lap times will never be the same as 10 years ago. sometimes its best to move on and look to the future. this is the age of technology now, and in another 10-20 years, don't be surprised if some of this hybrid tech makes its way in to mainstream cars. without dwelling too much on the past, you do get used to it, and speaking personally, i think the current cars are fantastic. 1.6L v6 turbo/hybrid making 800+ hp. thats insane.

prydey
15th March 2015, 07:35 PM
For F1 it wasn't good. .

were they using the same feed as ch10? perhaps the rest of the season will be better.

HSE2
15th March 2015, 07:48 PM
For F1 it wasn't good. For V8's its actually really good. Plus getting every world cup match is great as there are some good matches that FTA will never show.

Don't say that. I wanted to live in denial.

A guy in front of me at live TV going on his phone.

Paxton
15th March 2015, 07:57 PM

Yep, it was shit.

I'd have been happy with the ads if they were silent, and we kept the audio from the race. The split screen thing has changed from yesterday when it split half way, but it was just as bad as channel 10 (but with no Matt White...)

If I was't already paying for the Foxtel, I wouldn't have watched it.

WKD60
15th March 2015, 08:31 PM
If I was't already paying for the Foxtel, I wouldn't have watched it.

Off topic, sorry, but I can't believe people pay for foxtel and accept that it has ads. Unbelievable

TS50
15th March 2015, 08:45 PM
Race was pretty boring
I cant see the Mercedes cars being bettered again this year

TS50
15th March 2015, 08:48 PM
well foxtel do have adds, but still show a quarter of the screen on the race, so you never not see the telecast
During the V8s there are no adds, but there is for F1
interesting

HSE2
15th March 2015, 08:49 PM
http://www.speedcafe.com/2015/03/15/horner-calls-for-fia-action-on-engine-disparity/

Thoughts?

HSE2
15th March 2015, 08:50 PM
All I heard was foxtel were shit. It suits me to not unhear that.

4Vman
15th March 2015, 08:51 PM
http://www.speedcafe.com/2015/03/15/horner-calls-for-fia-action-on-engine-disparity/

Thoughts?

Thoughts?? It's RBR.... It's part of their brand charter.... Ask RD

TS50
15th March 2015, 08:53 PM
All I heard was foxtel were shit. It suits me to not unhear that.

my son taped the foxtel telecast
I had no issues watching it

HSE2
15th March 2015, 08:58 PM
Shhhh I am not listening

HSE2
15th March 2015, 08:59 PM
Where is Maurie.

His red team got on the podium. Seb saved the day. The new king is born and all that suit.

TS50
15th March 2015, 09:00 PM
what was the sound like Ian on race day?

4Vman
15th March 2015, 09:02 PM

It was like being at the tennis, They had to hush the crowd over the PA...

4Vman
15th March 2015, 09:06 PM
Where is Maurie.

His red team got on the podium. Seb saved the day. The new king is born and all that suit.

Ah yes, conspicuously missing.... Probably facing a similar dilemma to all of us trying to find a way to support Dan without wearing "that" clothing....

Tried to buy a cap but I just couldn't get it near my head....

Uzza335
15th March 2015, 09:12 PM
Foxtel coverage i.e sky sports f1 was great. I was initially disappointed with the ads - particularly the timing. Had a look on their Twitter and they were copping heat from everywhere. Their response was the ads were part of the contract only for the Aus gp and were linked to the ch10 ad breaks. They said the remaining 19 races will be ad free - I hope so as the coverage was excellent otherwise.

TS50
15th March 2015, 09:22 PM
Foxtel coverage i.e sky sports f1 was great. I was initially disappointed with the ads - particularly the timing. Had a look on their Twitter and they were copping heat from everywhere. Their response was the ads were part of the contract only for the Aus gp and were linked to the ch10 ad breaks. They said the remaining 19 races will be ad free - I hope so as the coverage was excellent otherwise.

I agree, prefereed the Sky coverage

HSE2
15th March 2015, 09:58 PM

Well before today I didn't really have an issue with the noise.
It's very different to what we had but I would say that was boarding on painful.

As we have been discussing on FB, there was no atmosphere here today and perhaps I need to concede the noise is part of that problem.

You can have races like this. As Michael shaw tweeted, this is what we expected last year and if 25% of cars fail to finish can we get a 25% refund.

As a spectacle it was not good today, but you get that from time to time.

Live perhaps the engine noise is a bigger issue than I had thought.

prydey
15th March 2015, 10:04 PM
Thoughts?? It's RBR.... It's part of their brand charter.... Ask RD

prejudiced much?

the renault has been down on power for years. RBR managed to win in spite of it. for years they have campaigned for more power from the renault, but to no avail. its fact. now that other teams have caught up on the aero front, RBR are really under pressure with the power unit, as its become a real handicap. Horner has a point. every time they found a way to improve, there were protests, and often, a rule change to go with it that hurt their performance. they were generally good enough to keep winning though. eventually though, the tables turn.

you want to draw links to v8sc? wouldn't you say there were more similarities with the blue camp??

VZTRT
15th March 2015, 10:33 PM
were they using the same feed as ch10? perhaps the rest of the season will be better.

Should have watched the Ch10 coverage to compare. But I didn't do it with the V8's cause the 10 mins I saw of the ch 10 stuff showed the Foxtel stuff was good.

Yep, it was shit.

I'd have been happy with the ads if they were silent, and we kept the audio from the race. The split screen thing has changed from yesterday when it split half way, but it was just as bad as channel 10 (but with no Matt White...)

If I wasn't already paying for the Foxtel, I wouldn't have watched it.

I would have been happy if they had have just had the bigger screen for the race and the small screen with the ad and the ads sound (would have perfered if it was no ads seeing as you pay for it). The problem was the ads are they're frequent and you miss stuff such as when they go into the pit stops...even watching on a 55" TV.

HSE2
15th March 2015, 10:36 PM
As in every time ford looked like winning the rules were changed?

I do think Christian has a point but I think he focused on the wrong stuff.

I think a team deserves the chance to bask in the sun for doing a good job. The teams have had 12 months to get better and it's sensative right now. It's a knee jerk reaction.

I think instead of penalising Mercedes, given the nature of these developments, it is just not smart to penalise teams with restrictions.

This is exactly like V8s. In order to get on level terms you need to test more have more failures and this should be allowed for.

Tokens vouchers wtf
No fan wants to be interested in that. All they care about is paying their money to watch supposedly the best teams.

Where RBR fall over is that geysers to be worse here than last year realtive to just about everyone.
You can not bring Merc back because of your own failures in the off season.
I do think teams other than merc should have restrictions lifted to allow them to improve faster.

It's a unique situation with this power train. It is putting the sport at risk and it's expensive to fix.

if I heard correctly rbr have save tokens to introduce improvements later in the year. What are fans and sponsors meant to think about that?

Subscribe to pay tv when they have a chance.

I probably am not up with these changes to really comment, but I know I was very disappointed with today's race and would not pay the premium involved to attend again while it's like it is.

Say what you like about V8sc, since cotf diffetent teams do have a real chance to win on the day.

4Vman
16th March 2015, 08:20 AM
http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/formula-1s-glaring-issues-exposed-at-australian-grand-prix/story-fnec578q-1227264273758?utm_content=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_source=News.com.au&utm_medium=Facebook

AFTER one lap of Sunday’s Australian Grand Prix, there were just 13 cars left in the race.

After the last lap, there were just 13 spectators awake.

13 cars left and out of all the categories on display the F1's were the quietest, even Porsche Cup were louder.

While noise doesn't make the racing interesting it keeps people engaged and interested. It adds to the theatre and excitement.

Im sure the teams will solve the reliability issues but the pace of the top 4 is still a step ahead of the rest and the spread from first to last in qualifying times is far greater than in say V8Sc....

4Vman
16th March 2015, 08:58 AM
prejudiced much?

the renault has been down on power for years. RBR managed to win in spite of it. for years they have campaigned for more power from the renault, but to no avail. its fact. now that other teams have caught up on the aero front, RBR are really under pressure with the power unit, as its become a real handicap. Horner has a point. every time they found a way to improve, there were protests, and often, a rule change to go with it that hurt their performance. they were generally good enough to keep winning though. eventually though, the tables turn.

you want to draw links to v8sc? wouldn't you say there were more similarities with the blue camp??
Sorry i should have used a smiley...!

HSE2
16th March 2015, 10:21 AM
Lots of upset people at airport this morning.

Most common comment, there was little racing for position anywhere.

Just as you thought someone was catching, the person in front just controlled the situation again.

It's the season opener.

I thought last season was pretty good considering Merc were in their own class. The best of the rest produced some good racing. DRS seems to help, different tyre types mixes it up too.

With the advancement in TV coverage, a race like this would have been good to view from one of the cars from the comfort of your home.

4Vman
16th March 2015, 10:22 AM
Well RBR have threatened this morning to pull the pin on F1 if the current engine rules arent changed....

VZTRT
16th March 2015, 10:33 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-16/mercedes-dominance-boring-says-ricciardo/6321750

Australian Grand Prix: Daniel Ricciardo says Mercedes' dominance 'boring' for Formula One fans

Updated 48 minutes ago

Daniel Ricciardo is among the drivers fearing for Formula One's future after labelling as "boring" Mercedes' one-two procession in the Australian Grand Prix.

Winner Lewis Hamilton and his runner-up team-mate Nico Rosberg lapped all but three drivers at Albert Park in Melbourne in a Sunday drive that turned a race into a glorified Mercedes parade.

"I feel a bit for the fans," said Australia's Ricciardo, who finished sixth.

"It was a boring race. It was frustrating."

Hamilton, from pole position, and Rosberg, from second spot, were never challenged by a field of just 15 cars, which third-placed Sebastian Vettel said damaged the sport.

Two more cars retired before completing a lap and only 11 drivers finished the season-opening event.

"For sure it's not great for the people," Vettel said.

"(Formula One) is a difficult challenge. It is complicated - maybe it got a bit too complicated."

Vettel, on debut for Ferrari, conceded that bridging the gap - he finished more than 34 seconds behind Hamilton - would be "difficult but not impossible" this season.

"It's a big gap - 34 seconds down the road is a lot for everyone else," he said.

"It can turn around a little bit for the next Grand Prix but it could be even worse."

Even Mercedes' victors wished for a greater challenge from the likes of Ferrari.

"I hope you can give us a challenge because it's important for the sport and for the fans," Rosberg said.

"And a part of me thinks about the show because I want to give people a great time at home watching on TV or at the track."

But Vettel scoffed at Rosberg's sentiment.

"You really hope so, seriously?" Vettel said.

"You finish 30 seconds in front of us and ... you hope you slow down?

"A suggestion, if you don't mind, is your garage becomes public for Malaysia and everyone can have a look."

Mercedes last year won the drivers' and constructors' titles and set a record 16 race wins in a season.

Hamilton won 11 of those races as Mercedes set a record 11 one-two finishes in a season. The team also equalled Red Bull Racing's 2011 record for most pole positions in a season with 18.

Little has changed.

On Sunday, England's reigning champion Hamilton easily won his 34th career grand prix: within six laps he was already 2.6 seconds ahead of Rosberg.

"Once you get a two-second gap you try and manage that. There is no need to eke out more," Hamilton said.

"It was a phenomenal race for both of us."

AAP

HSE2
16th March 2015, 10:59 AM
I don't know what to think about this.

One race, a race where not everyone had their best engines.

Merc are saying there is more engine performance to come which is scary.

When Seb won how many straight? Was that not also damaging?

The sport has always had periods of team domination.

We lost a competitive car through bad luck before the race started, and Honda is going to take a while so that's two cars and two very good drivers out.

The sport right now isnt one I would want to spend money to attend.

I would rather experience something new, like maybe a road trip to Darwin or even Townsville. Both those events put on a great on track support experience.

I like TCM, the dvs, and the utes. Any event that has that line up would get my money over F1 as it is now.

I guess that confirms what they say about being damaging to the sport.

People calling it boring, there wasn't alot of atmosphere or feeling come race day.

In the offseason, there was more talk about further engine changes to make it a better spectacle.

Maybe its just too much change at once.

The braking system, did they really have to go to flybywire at the same time?

prydey
16th March 2015, 02:06 PM
I think a team deserves the chance to bask in the sun for doing a good job. The teams have had 12 months to get better and it's sensative right now. It's a knee jerk reaction.

i agree. i also held that view when RBR were winning, but the FIA didn't unfortunately. they faced constant rule changes throughout there time in the sun.

also, at no point did RBR ever have the most powerful engine. they never did, not once. truth be told they had the least powerful engine for the whole time they were at the top, and whilst they dominated in results, they never had a margin the size of what merc gp do.

i would hate to see merc penalised, as they have worked very hard for this result, but history shows that other teams were constantly hobbled during their time at the top.

i think this year will stay as is. maybe they need to look at engine/power unit regs for the future.

also, this is the first race and melbourne is hardly a good circuit to judge the year on.

TS50
16th March 2015, 02:31 PM
Or you can look at it that is 17 wins in the last 20 races, and in reality the 3 that they lost, they actually lost them, they wernt beaten
Sorry Daniel, but...
Not even Redbull at their hight had that sort of domination

FTe217
16th March 2015, 04:11 PM
Where is Maurie.

Here I am fellas :)
I've had a flat chat weekend but did watch whenever I could over Sat/Sun, missed the race though and by the way it went then having seen a bit late last night the better.........BUT yes Ian the SCARLETTS are coming ! I can't just yet get OTT on Pettel BUT a podium is a podium and on debut the pit crew did the job ;) Pettel must have already been paying off Kimi's crew :p oh the migrane, come on Kimi next race make me feel much better :)
Importantly we are looking much better than last year :):)
Norm, the only Ferrari gear I would buy is the black prancing horse polo with Kimi on it, then again my Shumi black ones will last for a while as yet :)
Re the merc domination - I recall Ferrari/Schumi cleaning up for many years remember ? :) and how many times did rules try to get changed during that tenure, especially brought on by a whinging Dennis ! followed by RB for 4yrs, the rest have to lift their game imo.

The Foxtel coverage ie commentators doesn't bother me much - I don't care much what their on about I just care to see the racing "live" just as all my favoured sports, the ads here and there are minimal idgaf, I have my sport viewing, even not seeing live I'll watch it later instead of seeing bits on the news in the sport section. :)

HSE2
16th March 2015, 04:28 PM
It must feel really good to have a four time world champion come in and single handedly lift the team.

FTe217
16th March 2015, 04:45 PM
Hey - he can't do it alone - its visa versa :p
We were long due to recover and get back up there to a degree, imo Alonso, granted gained some sound results in a dog car during his time is also responsible possibly not getting through to his crew and above, they have the resource as we know its getting the pieces to fit just as every team.
He failed, seems Pettel and with Kimi it could be a promising season but too early to jump up and down as yet.

HSE2
16th March 2015, 05:03 PM
It's all Seb mate. He has fixed the car, sacked the manager, and changes the wheels.

4Vman
16th March 2015, 05:09 PM
I like this Seb fella...

prydey
16th March 2015, 05:13 PM
I recall Ferrari/Schumi cleaning up for many years remember

i don't think anyone is complaining about the same team winning. its more the margin they are winning by. every other team that has dominated has had competition at various stages. the only way merc aren't winning, is if they trip over themselves. ricciardo didn't win 3 races last year, merc lost 3 races. he did the rest by being in the best spot to capitalise.

2002 ferrari won 15 of 17 races. of those 15, barrichello won 4, MS won 11. ralf and DC were the other 2, one for williams/bmw, the other mclaren/mercedes
2004 ferrari won 15 of 18 races. of those 15, barrichello won 2, MS won 13. the other 3 races were won by j.trulli (rolling road block), kimi and jpm.

it was the only years where ferrari were close to doing what the current mercs are doing, but rarely by the same sort of margins. most teams were always a chance to beat at least one of the red cars home....

HSE2
16th March 2015, 05:13 PM
Best thing to happen to the sport.

No way would alsono carried that car to a podium.

WKD60
16th March 2015, 05:56 PM

Wait, what?

prydey
16th March 2015, 06:33 PM
Wait, what?

turn your sarcasm dial up to 9.

there isn't a lot of love for vettel in here. i think i'm the lone supporter, although maurie will jump on pretty quickly:)

WKD60
16th March 2015, 07:02 PM
It was a serious question. Anyone who thinks Alonso couldn't have got that car (that pettel had), on a podium, has rocks in their head.

Alonso is a far better driver.

You maybe the lone supporter here, but chin up mate, you're not the lone supporter. There's at least 2, maybe 3 more... out there... somewhere.

Paxton
16th March 2015, 07:05 PM
turn your sarcasm dial up to 9.

there isn't a lot of love for vettel in here. i think i'm the lone supporter, although maurie will jump on pretty quickly:)

Vettel is no Schumacher. I like Dan and Nico.

prydey
16th March 2015, 07:15 PM
It was a serious question. Anyone who thinks Alonso couldn't have got that car (that pettel had), on a podium, has rocks in their head.

there was no question. Ian was being sarcastic i'm pretty sure.

Alonso is a far better driver.

and what is your criteria to make that judgement?

WKD60
16th March 2015, 07:34 PM
there was no question. Ian was being sarcastic i'm pretty sure.

What?, is a question.
and
Thank goodness.

and what is your criteria to make that judgement?

Really?

Alonso has wrangled a piece of shit car to the top of the standings for the last few years. A car that should not have finished as high as it did, week in week out.
He came within 6 pts of pettel last year, in a FAR inferior machine (the worst Ferrari EVER, far worse than the RB, which was the second best car in the field)
He beat Massa last year... Who was in a superior machine.
And he hasn't been comprehensively beaten by his 'rookie' team mate over a season, in the same car.

Vettel hasn't beaten anyone who's driving a better car than he is.

Do I need to go on?

Alonso is arguably the best driver in F1.

HSE2
16th March 2015, 07:41 PM
Hey I am just following the new tradition of not including smilies.

Yes being very sarcastic, just stirring Maurie because he doesn't like Vettel.
This is likely to go on for half the season.

Full credit to Ferrari turning things around but in seriousness what about the decision by the drivers to pick moving to the team at the right time.

Lewis to Merc, was perfectly timed, seb looking like a good move as well.
Alonso, I hope that works out for him too.

At least Dan walks from Melbourne this year with more points than last year.

John Bowe has given the F1 a serve today, it's been a big reaction.

Dan seems to have far more support than Mark, so that's nice to see. That side of things felt good live.

prydey
16th March 2015, 08:08 PM
what about the decision by the drivers to pick moving to the team at the right time.

Lewis to Merc, was perfectly timed, seb looking like a good move as well.
Alonso, I hope that works out for him too.

yeah, its funny how that seems to work. i thought hamilton was a fool when he first hinted at leaving mclaren to go to the struggling brawn/merc outfit. vettel seems to have done ok also. i guess these guys are in and around the teams and would get a feel for the direction of certainly their own teams, and possibly the other teams. vettel would be well aware of the issues with renault, and given his idol is MS, its no real surprise to see him in red eventually.

Really?

Alonso has wrangled a piece of shit car to the top of the standings for the last few years. A car that should not have finished as high as it did, week in week out.
He came within 6 pts of pettel last year, in a FAR inferior machine (the worst Ferrari EVER, far worse than the RB, which was the second best car in the field)
He beat Massa last year... Who was in a superior machine.
And he hasn't been comprehensively beaten by his 'rookie' team mate over a season, in the same car.

Vettel hasn't beaten anyone who's driving a better car than he is.

Do I need to go on?

Alonso is arguably the best driver in F1.

i tend to agree, but i wouldn't say 'far' better. vettel and hamilton wouldn't be far behind, if at all.

how many other drivers have won in a torro rosso?

Archilino
16th March 2015, 09:13 PM
My F1 wish list:

Give teams X amount of fuel and let them use it any which way, be it a V6 V8 V12 etc. In the 90's Ford had a V8 Renault a V10 and Ferrari their V12 for example and DONT cap rev limiter.

Bring back refueling, remember Schumi going like a scalded cat on a 4 stop strategy needing to be 20sec up before pitting whilst everyone else doe on a 2/3 stop race?

Unlimited engines for teams. Fans pay big $$$ to watch them live only to have teams shit scared to run their cars in practice for fear of of an engine blowing up.

Have Thursday a designated free practice day for test drivers only at each race weekend, great start to the race meet and it would be a full house.

F1 is too slow and quiet at the moment. Speed & noise FTW.

FTe217
16th March 2015, 10:11 PM
We shall see where Alfonso rates sooner or later this year in his new POS.........

Archilino - nothing like dreaming I'm with you.
This new school high tech has been bs for a while.

WKD60
17th March 2015, 06:38 AM
how many other drivers have won in a torro rosso?

All (three) of you Vettel fans always fall back on this. :highly_amused:

It was an impressive win, no doubt. TR were uncharacteristically strong that weekend. Bourdais qual'd 4th in the other TR for petes sake.

But yeah, I'll give him credit for that one.

We shall see where Alfonso rates sooner or later this year in his new POS..........

Oh, he aint doing much this year. He'll be fighting it out with the Marussias... In the pits. :grumpy:

FTe217
17th March 2015, 10:10 AM

Ofcourse he couldn't, Spaniards have weak backs didn't you know :rolleyes:

Couldn't that TR win in our terms called a "Bradbury" ;) but hey a win is a win.

FTe217
17th March 2015, 10:23 AM
So why is DR more likeable than MW by aussie fans ?
Was being a tassie a hurdle/issue ?
Social media wasn't big time when MW started ?
MW's personality wasn't as receptive compared to the Gen Y kid ? (maybe the italian blood in him having more "xfactor appeal" ;) )
I admired MW starting out with Stoddart - I'll never forget that Minardi AGP podium ( if only it was still in adelaide)......

HSE2
17th March 2015, 10:27 AM
You will need to ask someone who isn't a MW fan.

I don't think Dan has ever done something that has pissed fans off for starters and its pretty hard to dislike someone who is always smiling.

But then again you are always smiling and you are easy to get pissed off at.

Better put a smile in now :D

TS50
17th March 2015, 10:28 AM
So why is DR more likeable than MW by aussie fans ?
Was being a tassie a hurdle/issue ?
Social media wasn't big time when MW started ?
MW's personality wasn't as receptive compared to the Gen Y kid ? (maybe the italian blood in him having more "xfactor appeal" ;) )
I admired MW starting out with Stoddart - I'll never forget that Minardi AGP podium ( if only it was still in adelaide)......

MW is not a Tasmanian, He is a Canberra boy, or Queenbean at least

TS50
17th March 2015, 10:30 AM

I don't think Dan has ever done something that has pissed fans off for starters and its pretty hard to dislike someone who is always smiling.

Craig Lowndes always smile, and I don't like him, think he is shifty, he pisses me
Dan smile doesn't do the same to me tho

HSE2
17th March 2015, 10:38 AM
You think Craigs smile is fake though so that means he isn't really smiling he is smirking at his cleaver deception that fools every one except you.

TS50
17th March 2015, 10:45 AM
you just don't like me having an opinion
Cl is a smirker, I don't think he is genuine, I am allowed that opinion
Have thought the same about him from day 1, same when he was in Fords,

FTe217
17th March 2015, 10:55 AM

Nothing wrong being a smiling assassin :) DR could be a relo.

Slow - must be the swiss ads and cycling accidents relating to the Isle, corrected no problem.

Don't need to ask non MW fans - I think your right, keeping a positive persona gets you liked pretty much, MW for years I suppose moaned and groaned - to the band wagon viewer they judge straight off the bat.
Bringing up CL is much the same - I think Brock pocked him so hard he never lost that smile LOL...and to date he has more fans than not no matter his track position.

HSE2
17th March 2015, 10:58 AM
you just don't like me having an opinion
Cl is a smirker, I don't think he is genuine, I am allowed that opinion
Have thought the same about him from day 1, same when he was in Fords,

Sarcasm meter broken yet again I see.

TS50
17th March 2015, 10:58 AM
Don't worry, us Tasmanians grab everyone we can
So if there was a chance that we could say MW was Tasmanian, we would

We have Proud Ford men from Tassy tho
JB
MA

only one I can really place on the red side is skippy Parsons

TS50
17th March 2015, 10:59 AM
Sarcasm meter broken yet again I see.

yours must be
you let lose with a sarcasim of 7, I replied on level 8

HSE2
17th March 2015, 11:02 AM
Nothing wrong being a smiling assassin :) DR could be a relo.

Slow - must be the swiss ads and cycling accidents relating to the Isle, corrected no problem.

Don't need to ask non MW fans - I think your right, keeping a positive persona gets you liked pretty much, MW for years I suppose moaned and groaned - to the band wagon viewer they judge straight off the bat.
Bringing up CL is much the same - I think Brock pocked him so hard he never lost that smile LOL...and to date he has more fans than not no matter his track position.

Even top gear did a little skit about his smiling all the time and the different types of smiles even for pain.

The way he handle the guy in the crowd with the Lewis comment, he just comes across as being likeable.

It probably hasn't hurt that he cleaned up Seb and was sort of endorsed by a guy like Alonso

HSE2
17th March 2015, 11:07 AM
yours must be
you let lose with a sarcasim of 7, I replied on level 8

OK.

TS50
17th March 2015, 12:04 PM
stepped it up to 9 I see

HSE2
17th March 2015, 12:42 PM
I am pretty sure we have had this conversation before. A number of times in fact the last such occasion occurred when Reynolds took the piss out of. I would like to say, Hello to levi and chilli at home.

If that wasn't bad enough, Nat herself finished Craig off telling everyone that it would be hard for the children to see the message on TV because they rarely watch it because they are rarely at home, I point I had made myself in support of a "fakeness" stance a year earlier of which I was accuses of delving into Craig's personal life by some on here. This point I was particular not pleased with seeing as Nats around Australia trek was all over FB for anyone who liked her page. it wasn't private it was public

This of course came to a head in Oct of the same year when Craig broke down about missing his kids of which Nat replied it was Craig who allowed the around Aust rip to occur and supported it at the time.

None of which gets us anywhere.

I have not met Craig as a person don't know what he actually is like. I don't respect what he did to ford as I understand it as its been explained to me.

Is his public persona an act, I don't know, but what I was pointing out is that with regards to Dan and his demeanour he would be harder to dislike as he just seems happier.

Does that measn its the same for everyone, No and Craig is a good point but that said he also enjoys the most support of any current and probably past driver which goes to the point.

Is Dan universally accepted for his smile? I suspect someone somewhere thinks its fake too. They would use the logic that no one could possible be that up all the time.

I suspect they are wrong and its probably not an act but these guys have managers. Its in their own interest to manager their stars in ways that appeal to the broadest demographic.

I said at the time I blamed Craig's manager for what was going on. You would be encouraging him not to say what he was saying because it was foreseeable that something like Reynolds did would occur. Saying ok all the time is also likely to cause people pause in that some might perceive it as shallow.

I said that "only you can see" simply because we have been through this before and it was clear it is not just you that sees craig like that.

You having an opinion has never been an issue.

I would encourage all people to have an opinion and its not my place to like or dislike that it occurs.

If I happen to disagree with an opinion, anyone's opinion, I feel confident enough that I can articulate the reasons why of which in turn doesn't mean or imply I expect people to change their position.

As a forum if we cant express opinions or thought, accept that not everyone will agree without the need to specify that as a protection mechanism then we are failing as a community.

As a generalisation both Dan and Craig are popular probably because of their perceived demeanour. Doesn't mean everyone will see that or there aren't exceptions but I would think a happy appearing soul is a more likeable soul and to reverse that people will need to see a reason to give deeper thought to the individual character.

To Criag's credit when things do go wrong the way he manages those feelings as a professional are very good.

Commenting about people I don't really know as a person means its just perception. Discussing those perceptions helps people understand.

My biggest issue I had with Craig was his message to his kids. I knew they weren't home, the fact was public knowledge so to me it left me questioning do you not know where you family is today?

Maybe that is very harsh and judgmental but that's how it looked to me. If you are going to say that publically I would want it to be correct and be meaningful and I am sorry but to me it just didnt come across like that. His manager should have been sacked for allowing him to persist with it.

I can explain why I think what I do, doesn't make it right or that people need to agree with me but I am prepared to put it out there.

Bluestuff1
17th March 2015, 12:51 PM
theres probably some thing completly legitimate about it, something we are not, and would not be privy to.
just dont see any issue with it at all........?

If renolds takes the piss, no prob,s !

HSE2
17th March 2015, 12:54 PM
In a split I am sure there is something legitimate behind any father wanting to tell or show his kids he insthinking about them.

How he did it had the exact opposite affect on me.

4Vman
17th March 2015, 01:05 PM
In a split I am sure there is something legitimate behind any father wanting to tell or show his kids he insthinking about them.

How he did it had the exact opposite affect on me.
Probably trying to counter negative publicity about the split and perceptions of deserting his kids...

HSE2
17th March 2015, 01:13 PM
Probably trying to counter negative publicity about the split and perceptions of deserting his kids...

Yeah ok, I can see that but he would have to know they aren't at home, his money was paying for the trip, he agreed the kids would be out of school for the entire year, and he would have to know nat was using FB like a diary and that she had a huge following, maybe even make mainstream news.

Would you think it would hurt or help negative perception.

I would suggest that when David did that, it never occurred that Nat herself would address the situation not just herself by via Chilli as well.

And then at the end of the year when Nat was blind sided by the article, well I am sure it still lives in google if people are interested.

What isn't fake is the time he speeds signing stuff and how he makes himself available. if you compare him to some like Murphy or Tander there is a huge difference but this is their life.

if someone was to say these guys shouldn't be judged, I would say yes fair enough but we do it with high profile people.

Just me personally I wouldn't allowed Craig to do that sort of thing. its private and it should remain that way in my eye. The only people that matter are those two kids.

4Vman
17th March 2015, 01:17 PM
Ok, i had no idea about any of that so atleast for me it didnt have the impact it had on you.

HSE2
17th March 2015, 01:21 PM
Ok, i had no idea about any of that so atleast for me it didnt have the impact it had on you.

Yes and that came out last time we went here too.

I assume at least you can see why I think what I do. Doesn't make it right and I can't be 100% sure about a person I have never met, but can you see why I would have some reservations?

Lets assume you didn't have FB and simply didn't know the address wasn't technically correct.

What about saturation? Does repeating it at every opportunity seem genuine or something else?

We probably need to get back more to why Webber was disliked and Tim might have some news to share on that one.

4Vman
17th March 2015, 01:23 PM
Yes and that came out last time we went here too.

I assume at least you can see why I think what I do. Doesn't make it right and I can't be 100% sure about a person I have never met, but can you see why I would have some reservations?

Lets assume you didn't have FB and simply didn't know the address wasn't technically correct.

What about saturation? Does repeating it at every opportunity seem genuine or something else?

We probably need to get back more to why Webber was disliked and Tim might have some news to share on that one.

Yep completely understand.

For Craig it became his "signature" sign off, more about a marketing quirk than a genuine reach out...

NBA Player Chris Mullen had a specific thing he did before a free throw to his kids, it was an action they recognized and knew what it meant, no words were needed.

TS50
17th March 2015, 01:31 PM
I always liked Webber
fair enough he dosent have the sparkling personality of some
but he has always seemed genuine and sincere
just a very focused person

HSE2
17th March 2015, 01:42 PM
Same. Come across as very professional to me.

The only Australian international sports person I wouldn't support that I can think of off the top of my head is Anthony Mundine.

I always go for an Australian when they represent this country. I am not about to get in bed with them unless their name is Michelle Jenneke

Maybe it was something Mark did on the track that set things off, I have no idea but my time on the F1 board he just didn't seem to have the support of his countrymen that Dan has right now.

I do think the vast majority of this country supported mark though just you get the feeling Dan has a more at this stage of his career as a perception anyway.

4Vman
17th March 2015, 01:45 PM
What's the issue with Webber??!! I think he's good, didnt realise he had haters

HSE2
17th March 2015, 01:45 PM
NBA Player Chris Mullen had a specific thing he did before a free throw to his kids, it was an action they recognized and knew what it meant, no words were needed.

Well you see that to me is how you do that sort of stuff. There is a bit of class about that and that it reaches who it needs to reach.

I know this sort of thing is very personal and I don't mean to offend but perhaps it just shows how people can get an idea about something that is a complete polar opposite to the majority.

HSE2
17th March 2015, 01:46 PM
What's the issue with Webber??!! I think he's good, didnt realise he had haters

Oh he had haters alright.

I don't know why, I wasn't one of them.

I think he did this country proud.

prydey
17th March 2015, 01:49 PM
Couldn't that TR win in our terms called a "Bradbury" ;) but hey a win is a win.

not really a 'bradbury' win. no one 'fell over' in front of him to gift him the win. he qualified on pole and won on merit. for sure it was a wet qualifying, and race start, but he still won.

speaking of bradbury style wins, i recall 3 last season.....

HSE2
17th March 2015, 01:51 PM
So bent Bernie is saying they should have frozen Merc at season end now.

What about the complication of the rules.

Can anyone explain how tokens work. Is it some sort of engine improvement schedule or something?

prydey
17th March 2015, 01:52 PM
i'm only on 2 forums, both ford related, and i wouldn't say i've noticed much difference between the level of support for either webber or ricciardo.

prydey
17th March 2015, 01:57 PM
Can anyone explain how tokens work. Is it some sort of engine improvement schedule or something?

here's an article that may help.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117259

your question was, can anyone explain how they work, well i just read that article and my answer is still 'no'.

TS50
17th March 2015, 01:57 PM
. I am not about to get in bed with them unless their name is Michelle Jenneke

Only if she does her warm up routine first

prydey
17th March 2015, 02:00 PM
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118091?source=mostpopular

Renault contemplating 'works' team. didn't hear any of that news last weekend.

TS50
17th March 2015, 02:02 PM
Interesting they are thinking of Toro Rosso too

HSE2
17th March 2015, 02:07 PM
here's an article that may help.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117259

your question was, can anyone explain how they work, well i just read that article and my answer is still 'no'.

That's is a good article and it does help......make things more confusing.

"Once a power unit design was lodged with the FIA on February 28 2014, changes were only going to be accepted during the season for "reliability, safety or cost-saving reasons."

This is F1, where some of the best brains in the world make a living finding ways around just about every rule ever made. How did they not assume that due to the nature of complexity of this powertrain that's someone wouldn't nail an absolute advantage. Why wasn't there a performance clause there to make sure someone wasn't locked into a seasonal advantage.

TS50
17th March 2015, 02:10 PM
That's is a good article and it does help......make things more confusing.

"Once a power unit design was lodged with the FIA on February 28 2014, changes were only going to be accepted during the season for "reliability, safety or cost-saving reasons."

This is F1, where some of the best brains in the world make a living finding ways around just about every rule ever made. How did they not assume that due to the nature of complexity of this powertrain that's someone wouldn't nail an absolute advantage. Why wasn't there a performance clause there to make sure someone wasn't locked into a seasonal advantage.

because Bernie said so

HSE2
17th March 2015, 02:20 PM
"Lotus as it continues to evaluate whether being just an engine supplier for two teams - Red Bull and Toro Rosso - delivers maximum benefit for the brand"

Well I can tell them what isn't delivering maximum benefit to the brand.

Delivering year on year under powered glitchy powertrains.

Walk before you can run guys.

FTe217
17th March 2015, 02:55 PM
Oh - Colin would be turning in his grave once again :(

not really a 'bradbury' win. no one 'fell over' in front of him to gift him the win. he qualified on pole and won on merit. for sure it was a wet qualifying, and race start, but he still won.

speaking of bradbury style wins, i recall 3 last season.....

Was a Ferrari transplant behind him ;)
Ok ok I'll give it to him - good win, reminds me another wet Monaco day of a flying Benetton catching The Professor, uncanny when you think about it.

I think MW suffered typically because by the press and joe public first up during his Jag/Williams tenures were shocking - then took 2 yrs in RBR to get a grip and finally take it to them, - its the usual till success becomes then the love follows, pretty shallow but thats life in general, another similar is Stoner, most don't like him but as a winner they flocked, I watched he since his early LCR days and just as MW followers from the get go would puke when you see the band waggoners jump on the show.
Another small factor even though being aussie us long time F1 supporters (or any sport your into) can't drop your team of x amount of yrs but I did wish him best and hoped he got over pettel sooner or later, especially to help my beloved Scarletts any way if possible.
Overall as they say "he done good" - imo bloody marvelous but wasn't a fav thats all, well he won me over once he started giving it to pettel.
God damn, how am I going to ever get over this situation, just as Norm asking me could I let go of my resentment towards folden ( < no I never will)...for now please Kimi get up there, well you were at quali you'll be there :)

HSE2
18th March 2015, 01:17 PM
Lewis Hamilton vows he would still win in equal equipment

With calls for Mercedes to be reined in, world champion has no doubts he would beat the field in identical cars

By Pete Gill

Last Updated: 17/03/15 11:56pm

Lewis Hamilton has scoffed at calls for Mercedes to be slowed down by insisting he would still beat the rest of the field in equal equipment.

The reigning world champion cruised to victory in the season-opening Australian GP on Sunday ahead of Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg in a performance of such remorseless superiority that it provoked demands from Red Bull team boss Christian Horner for an "equalisation mechanism".

F1 has been here before, of course, most recently when Sebastian Vettel, who finished half a minute behind the two Mercedes cars in Melbourne, romped to four successive titles for the team Horner runs. But while Vettel was rarely troubled by his then Red Bull team-mate Mark Webber, Hamilton at least has plenty of domestic strife to deal with in the shape of friend turned foe Nico Rosberg.

"I was sitting next to Sebastian after the race and I said, 'Sebastian, you did this for four years. You were 30 seconds ahead for four years',” Hamilton told The Daily Telegraph.

"Back then he had no one behind pushing him. At least I've got my team-mate, who I was really racing. I don't remember that ever being the case [with Red Bull]. If I was 30 seconds ahead every race then maybe, but we are racing and ultimately I still have to get the better of another very, very good driver.”

Brimming with confidence after seven victories in the last eight races – and perhaps more relevantly, a victory in every F1 season in which he has competed – Hamilton is also adamant that he would still prosper as the first among equals in a field of identical cars.

“There isn't any doubt in my mind. If you want to put someone in the same car there is no doubt in my mind of where I would be finishing,” the 30-year-old said.

F1’s man or machine debate is as old as the sport itself. Although Hamilton is widely regarded as the fastest driver in the sport, there is little doubt that Mercedes’ new car is currently without peer.

Nearly a second-and-a-half clear in qualifying and over half a minute ahead when the chequered flag was unfurled at Albert Park, it’s already conceivable that the W06 will enter the record books as one of the best cars the sport has ever seen.

If so, just how much credit would Hamilton the driver receive in the event of a third world championship?

"There has never been a driver that has won the championship that hasn't had a great car that year, as far as I'm aware," Hamilton responded. "There's no one who had a Marussia and won the world championship. Juan Manuel Fangio still had a great car. It's the name of the game.”

Nor should it be forgotten that Hamilton was perceived as gambling away his career three years ago when he abandoned proven winners McLaren for relative newcomers Mercedes, who took over the Brawn team after their 2009 title success.

"You've got to have great equipment as well,” he added. “I've got the car now and I'm driving the way I am and executing it."

The Midweek Report returns at 8.30pm on Sky Sports F1 on Wednesday with Mike Gascoyne and David Brabham joining Natalie Pinkham in the studio to analyse events in Melbourne.

TS50
18th March 2015, 01:29 PM
cockhead
Crash bandicoot wouldn't do any good, pressure of cars around him, run into the wall

his ego is so big, what a tosspot
I actually think I prefer Vettel to this tool

FTe217
18th March 2015, 01:33 PM
The Chosen One, Dennis's god child has no one to shut him up for now - FFS.

TS50
18th March 2015, 02:23 PM
Wow, one race in and more circus acts
FIA need to do something soon, the greedy buggers, no one can afford to pay their sanction fees

Hockenheim gives up on German Grand Prix
Formula 1
March 18, 2015

FORMULA 1 fans can say ‘auf widersehen‘ to the German Grand Prix this year.

Hockenheim’s track boss, Georg Seilder, said he has given up on hosting Formula 1 at the track in 2015.

“We have no more hope that the Formula 1 race takes place here,” Seilder told German newspaper Bild.

“We did everything we could in the last few years to make the fans happy.

“Time has run out to organise the race here. Otherwise, [there was a risk that] the quality of the event would have suffered.”

The location of the German Grand Prix was TBA this year after discussions between the new owners of the Nürburgring and F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone fell through.

Eccelstone said earlier this year he expected to seal a deal with Hockenheim for the track to host the Grand Prix, however if the track no longer wants a deal, he will have to inform the FIA the race is off so they can formally cancel it.

The decision not to host the race needs to be finalised as soon as possible if the German Grand Prix wants to return next year.

Article 5.6 of F1′s Sporting Regulations states: “An event which is cancelled with less than three months written notice to the FIA will not be considered for inclusion in the following year’s championship unless the FIA judges the cancellation to have been due to force majeure.”

This means that if the race isn’t formally cancelled before the end of next month, the German Grand Prix will not be able to return to the F1 calendar until 2017.

FTe217
18th March 2015, 02:47 PM
Can't stand losing proper tracks :(

TS50
18th March 2015, 02:52 PM
Me either mate
These greedy bastards are going to kill F1

They talk about cost containment, but all they want to do is rip more and more money out of everyone

FTe217
18th March 2015, 03:20 PM
Yep - you'd think Bernie couldn't fit more into his coffin would you !
Sure its a business but there needs to be some form of clause to protect established long time F1 tracks.

This below :
The location of the German Grand Prix was TBA this year after discussions between the new owners of the Nürburgring and F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone fell through.

Eccelstone said earlier this year he expected to seal a deal with Hockenheim for the track to host the Grand Prix, however if the track no longer wants a deal, he will have to inform the FIA the race is off so they can formally cancel it.

Love it how Bernie says above "if the track no longer wants a deal" - yer your not accepting what their willing to pay !

TS50
18th March 2015, 03:21 PM
Fernando Alonso back in F1 simulator
Formula 1
March 18, 2015

FERNANDO ALONSO is back! In the simulator, at least.

The Spaniard, whose testing crash ruled him out of the Australian Grand Prix, will drive McLaren’s simulator today in his bid to return to Formula 1 for the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Alonso was concussed in the second pre-season test and was instructed not to race in Melbourne to minimise the risk of a second injury.

McLaren confirmed the two-time champion will be in the simulator, but he will be forced to pass medical tests before he can race at Sepang.

prydey
18th March 2015, 04:04 PM
Can't stand losing proper tracks :(

Proper track? hockenheim was ruined a long time ago. Still , it's a shame to lose it.

TS50
18th March 2015, 04:06 PM
yes when you ran thru the forest

FTe217
18th March 2015, 04:42 PM
Rob, please spare me, i was watching when AJ was winning, i know all too well what has happenned since.
My comment is purely based from having to lose such iconic tracks of the past be it changes as time has past.
Another eg, Bathurst, some love it how it is but some werent born seeing no Chase near the end of Conrod.
Big balls seeing who out brakes who in the cars of today - mind you wouldnt be watching from the start of Pit straight lol....

TS50
25th March 2015, 08:50 AM
Friction between Red Bull and Renault???

Renault: ‘It’s not all on us’
Formula 1
March 25, 2015

HOLD THE phone! After Red Bull Racing made all the noises in Melbourne insisting Renault’s Formula 1 engine was down 100 horsepower on its rivals, the French manufacturer has fired back at the team.

Renault Sport Managing Director, Cyril Abiteboul, has pointed the finger at the four-time world championship winning squad, insisting the drop in performance isn’t all down to the troublesome power unit.

“Australia certainly wasn’t an easy weekend and we fell short of our own expectations, and those of our clients,” he said. “We need to work together to understand our issues, both within the Power Unit and the chassis.

“Our figures have shown that the lap time deficit between Red Bull and Mercedes in Melbourne was equally split between driveability issues, engine performance and chassis performance. It’s therefore the overall package that needs some help and we have been working with the team to move forward.”

The claims put the blame on the RB11 chassis in part which was tipped to be one of the more balanced in the field. However, Abiteboul added Renault has made improvements to the engine in the short space between the Australian and Malaysian races.

“We’ve been particularly aggressive in development and we should see the results a lot more clearly in Malaysia, particularly since we have had the opportunity to refine the PU using the data from Australia,” he explained.

“Work is still ongoing but even now we are in a completely different place to where we finished Melbourne.”

VZTRT
27th March 2015, 03:47 PM
FP1 just finished. Hamilton has blown an engine and may not take part anymore today.

Otherwise it looks to be a repeat of Melbourne. A Merc will win and Farrari will be strong.

prydey
27th March 2015, 04:28 PM
barring reliability problems for merc, they will have their own championship again. you can't close that gap down in one season, and not during the season.

hopefully renault have moved forward with their reliability and driveability and same with honda.

the kimi v seb battle could be interesting this year also.

VZTRT
28th March 2015, 02:17 PM
barring reliability problems for merc, they will have their own championship again. you can't close that gap down in one season, and not during the season.

hopefully renault have moved forward with their reliability and driveability and same with honda.

the kimi v seb battle could be interesting this year also.

Gonna have to look for something interesting if Merc stay in the position they're in.

prydey
28th March 2015, 02:27 PM
its only friday practice, but the merc's didn't totally dominate yesterday. mind you, they normally don't show their full hand until Q2, or Q3.

VZTRT
28th March 2015, 02:32 PM
its only friday practice, but the merc's didn't totally dominate yesterday. mind you, they normally don't show their full hand until Q2, or Q3.

Most of the practice they did. If the race pace is closer then it should be an interesting race. Otherwise not going to be an entertaining race.

From what I hear no adds for the F1 race on Foxtel so that should be good.

VZTRT
28th March 2015, 07:35 PM
Rain in Q2. Qualifying might get cancelled the way its pouring down.

Rosberg 1st, Vet 2nd, Ric 4th, Ham 8th, Kimi is 11th.

prydey
28th March 2015, 07:58 PM
yep, sucks for kimi, getting caught by the rain in Q2. he was looking good this weekend.

SC is currently on track assessing conditions for Q3. If Q3 is unable to be run, Q2 will be used for grid positions.

VZTRT
28th March 2015, 08:07 PM
yep, sucks for kimi, getting caught by the rain in Q2. he was looking good this weekend.

SC is currently on track assessing conditions for Q3. If Q3 is unable to be run, Q2 will be used for grid positions.

They are saying it might happen tomorrow. But there is only a couple of turns that need to reduce in water depth as most of the track isn't to bad.

But drivers are getting in the car.

prydey
28th March 2015, 08:39 PM
so, Q3 has been run, and hamilton secures yet another pole, but only by a tenth over vettel, who has split the mercs.

RBR seem to have made a big improvement with DR coming home in 4th, albeit over a second off the pace of the top 3.

if its a wet race tomorrow we could be in for a race for first involving more than one team. now wouldn't that be something

VZTRT
28th March 2015, 08:47 PM
so, Q3 has been run, and hamilton secures yet another pole, but only by a tenth over vettel, who has split the mercs.

RBR seem to have made a big improvement with DR coming home in 4th, albeit over a second off the pace of the top 3.

if its a wet race tomorrow we could be in for a race for first involving more than one team. now wouldn't that be something

Funny enough Ham secured it very early in quali. Apparently he stayed of the racing line giving him more grip because of there being less rubber on the track.

prydey
28th March 2015, 11:25 PM
Qualifying

P No Driver Team Q1 Q2 Q3 Laps
1 44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:39.269 1:41.517 1:49.834 13
2 5 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1:39.814 1:39.632 1:49.908 13
3 6 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:39.374 1:39.377 1:50.299 13
4 3 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 1:40.504 1:41.085 1:51.541 16
5 26 Daniil Kvyat Red Bull Racing 1:40.546 1:41.665 1:51.951 16
6 33 Max Verstappen Toro Rosso 1:40.793 1:41.430 1:51.981 16
7 19 Felipe Massa Williams 1:40.543 1:41.230 1:52.473 17
8 8 Romain Grosjean Lotus 1:40.303 1:41.209 1:52.981 18
9 77 Valtteri Bottas Williams 1:40.249 1:40.650 1:53.179 14
10 9 Marcus Ericsson Sauber 1:40.340 1:41.748 1:53.261 18
11 7 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1:40.415 1:42.173 7
12 13 Pastor Maldonado Lotus 1:40.361 1:42.198 11
13 27 Nico Hulkenberg Force India 1:40.830 1:43.023 9
14 11 Sergio Perez Force India 1:41.036 1:43.469 11
15 55 Carlos Sainz Toro Rosso 1:39.814 1:43.701 9
16 12 Felipe Nasr Sauber 1:41.308 7
17 22 Jenson Button McLaren 1:41.636 8
18 14 Fernando Alonso McLaren 1:41.746 8
98 Roberto Merhi Marussia 1:46.677 7
Q1 107% Time 1:46.217

prydey
29th March 2015, 05:53 PM
ferrari have genuine pace. first time merc have been challenged on merit since 2013! vettel currently leading and kimi in 4th, recovering very fast. awesome.

prydey
29th March 2015, 06:59 PM
Italian and German national anthems! All is right with the world again :)

WKD60
29th March 2015, 07:06 PM
I can't believe the turn around Ferrari has made in the off season. Phenomenal
And I can't believe that little prick Pettel's luck stepping into the team at that very moment.

F'ing Red Bull... Dan lapped twice in two races. Gutted.

Going to be a rubbish season.

Archilino
29th March 2015, 07:19 PM
What a great race, shame it was 2 weeks late.

prydey
29th March 2015, 07:32 PM
And I can't believe that little prick Pettel's luck stepping into the team at that very moment.

it happens quite often. everyone thought hamilton was stupid for leaving mclaren to go to merc, but look how that panned out. i don't think its coincidence in some ways. these guys must get a feel for what is going on. perhaps vettel could sense that RBR's run was over.

VZTRT
29th March 2015, 07:45 PM
Good to see there will be competition this year.

FTe217
30th March 2015, 08:52 AM
'This sport is mainly misery' - Allison's impact

Allison was keen to stress the importance of the team in putting together a competitive car, but there is no denying the British designer has made an important impact.

The 47-year-old arrived at Maranello in 2013 from Lotus.

"F1 is not a quick-fix sport," Allison said shortly after his arrival. "The team has been one-by-one picking off its weak points. It's a work we will need to continue and a work we will never stop doing even once we do finally get ourselves back to the front."
Sebastian Vettel

Sebastian Vettel was able to produce his famous 'finger' victory salute for the first time in a while

Allison had an input in last year's car but this has been the first one he has really been able to get his teeth into.

So what has been key to putting together what looks like being a car capable of challenging Mercedes?

"It is mainly starting early enough on the car, being clear on what your want from it and having a lot of talented people willing to make sacrifices, mainly their families, to make the Ferrari car properly effective," explained Allison on Sunday.

"This sport is mainly misery and every now and then you get an incredible rush that makes it all worth while."

Ruthless in pursuit of success

As one of the most iconic teams in Formula 1, Ferrari have a reputation to protect and they have not been afraid to be ruthless in an effort to do just that.

In November last year, Marco Mattiacci was replaced by Maurizio Arrivabene as team principal after just seven months in the role.

On making the change, Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne described Arrivabene as someone who "leads by his strong personal example, his professionalism and the integrity of his decisions".

It has taken him just two races to take Ferrari back on to the top step of the podium.

Speaking about the win, Arrivabene said: "I was looking at the discipline of the guys, drivers, engineers, and how they were working like a Swiss watch. But in this case it was a perfect Italian watch!"

FTe217
30th March 2015, 08:57 AM
Sebastian Vettel pays emotional tribute to Michael Schumacher
By Andrew Benson Chief F1 writer in Sepang

Sebastian Vettel paid tribute to his childhood hero Michael Schumacher after taking a "dream" first victory for Ferrari in the Malaysian Grand Prix.

He said it was an "incredible" feeling to beat Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton in only his second race for the team.

"It's been my dream," he said. "Michael was my hero. All the kids at the go-kart track looked up to him.

"When he turned up to shake hands every year it made our lives. I don't understand yet how special it is."

Vettel is following in the Ferrari footsteps of Schumacher, who won five consecutive titles with the team from 2000-2004.

Schumacher sustained a severe brain injury in a skiing accident at Christmas 2013, and is still undergoing rehabilitation at home, adding to the emotion of the occasion.

Vettel said: "Michael left very large footsteps but the target is not to fill those but to leave some new ones."

His victory marked a remarkable turnaround in form for Ferrari.

They had their worst season for 21 years last year, a performance that convinced Fernando Alonso that he had to leave the team after five years and move to McLaren.

Vettel was signed to replace the Spaniard and the team made major changes to their engineering department, sacking almost their entire group of senior engineers and changing team principal.

The German, who won four consecutive titles with Red Bull from 2010-2013 but decided to leave after a difficult 2014 in which he was out-paced by team-mate Daniel Ricciardo, said: "I'm speechless. Last year was not a good year for me. We had a great car but I was struggling to extract the performance. This year's car suits me very well.

"It's been a while since I was on the top step. The first time with Ferrari.

"We made big changes over the winter and the welcome the team gave me has been amazing. Great achievement. We have a great car.

"It is a bit emotional. Today is a very special day and will always remain part of me."

Vettel managed to beat Mercedes, who have dominated since the start of 2014, by having better tyre usage and strong race pace.
Sebastian Vettel holds up one finger to show he is number one again

Sebastian Vettel holds up his infamous one-finger victory salute

"The race, really spot on, the whole team was there - great strategy, great pace, we beat them fair and square," he said.

"Our goal is to bring the World Championship back to Maranello, we know these guys are incredibly strong and very difficult to beat.

"The key was the way the tyres lasted. That's where we were able to close the gap compared to Mercedes.

"It is a bit of a surprise for us but we need to take it. We need to confirm that and then try to catch these guys."

FTe217
30th March 2015, 09:07 AM
Well what can I say :) yes I am very happy of the outcome and I'm sure were all surprised of the turn around.
I don't see this carrying on every race for lets face it MB effed up at the same time but you grab it when the opportunity presents !
I still can't rub up to Pettel but booyer sticking it up MB ! more so hamilton :)
Come on Kimi he's looking good as well, look forward seeing the red cars mixing it more with the silver arrows - 4 cars 4 drivers capable of making this years championship very interesting depending how the dominos fall on race days.
Well ol Franks boys are doing the job - hopefully they don't get a nose bleed too soon.
Shame for DR - really hope they get it together for he especially.
A very BIG booya to mclaren ! up yours dennis hahahaha :):):):)
Alonso, must be feeling even crappier - sorry for Button though.

Forza ! :)

FTe217
2nd April 2015, 01:24 PM
For all the Foxtel bashing that has merit in regards to Supercars more so than F1 I have to say last night checking programming there was quali again followed by the race.
Got to say I enjoyed being able to watch at my choice - quali I watched bits but was interesting watching how cars behaved.
The Mercs and Ferraris look very sure footed whereas even though the williams is batting high up the grid still looked edgy.
Worse was the macs, my god they look a mess trying to corner - nice to see pics of dennis squirming :)
What is even better about the coverage is that there was another 1hr or so after the race Brundle and co were doing interviews galore and discussing the pros and cons of most teams.
Even had interviews behind the pits with most of the Ferrari top end from team pricipal Maurizio (I like this guy has my name :)) Arrivabene Tech Director Allison etc....great to see.
Their 2015 hopeful target was 2 race wins IF possible, over the moon gaining 1 so soon, importantly has been said they passed on speed - electing to keep peetel out once the first safety car was deployed pettel hit the gas whereas MB had already decided pre race 3 stop stratergy going in to pit, pettel pulled 10secs overall not to be hauled in.
Merc had problems keeping the engine cooler due to the humidity and wasn't good on tyres whereas the Ferrari had performed very well in both fields.
So no matter what I sure am not missing out - sorry guys.

prydey
2nd April 2015, 03:19 PM
Good for you Maurie. Sounds like good value especially with all the extra post race stuff.

James Alison seems to be a pretty good designer. Not quite the reputation of Newey but clearly knows his stuff. Lotus was very good on its tyre life when he was there as well. Hopefully they can get the tyres working in the cooler climates as well.

FTe217
2nd April 2015, 04:09 PM
Yes Rob he did well at Lotus - surprise they have had struggled to date ? no considering Alison gone.
We shall see in the cooler climates, as said though the Ferrari worked well on hard and soft.
Shanghai soon.

FTe217
8th April 2015, 09:53 AM
Fox now has a dedicated F1 Show similar to the Supercars 1hr show.
Brunble hosts typically next to a skirt for the eye candy with David Brabham and others for their inputs of the coming season.
Enjoyed it.
Looking forward to China GP.

prydey
13th April 2015, 04:37 PM
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/0...more-in-china/

Rosberg and Hamilton feud is back.

interesting to note in the comments under the article, there is a school of thought that merc are purposely 'sandbagging' to make it look like ferrari are close, for the 'greater good' of the sport and to prevent any changes to the rules to hinder them.

its a bit of a conspiracy theory i admit, but i'm not convinced there isn't some truth to it. hamilton put in a very quick time just before his second stop which showed the potential of the car was much higher than what he was running. perhaps the tyres are the limiting factor again/still.

FTe217
14th April 2015, 08:43 AM
Propaganda Rob ? nah couldn't be LOL..............

Here's more fun with the loving MB team mates :)

Rosberg slams Hamilton

1:29

NICO Rosberg has reignited his feud with Lewis Hamilton by accusing his Mercedes team-mate of slowing him down during the Chinese GP.

Rosberg trailed Hamilton throughout the race but believed his second place was jeopardised before the second round of pit stops when Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel began to close in on his Mercedes W06.

Despite crossing the line behind Hamilton to secure a one-two for Mercedes, an angry Rosberg hit out at Hamilton in an extraordinary post-race press conference.

With Hamilton sitting alongside him, Rosberg accused Hamilton of “unnecessarily compromising my race” by “driving slower than was necessary”.

REPORT: HAMILTON OUTWITS RIVALS TO WIN IN CHINA

RESULTS: CLICK HERE FOR FULL RESULTS FROM CHINESE GP

VIDEO: RICCIARDO’S SHOCKING START IN SHANGHAI

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

‘Rosberg was never close’

0:49

Asked to respond by Sky Sports’ Rachel Brookes, Hamilton replied: “It’s not my job to look after Nico’s race. My job is to manage the car and bring the car home as fast as possible and that’s what I did. I didn’t do anything intentionally to slow the cars up.”

Rosberg was described as ‘absolutely fuming’ during the media briefing by Sky Sports F1’s Ted Kravitz as the German reopened the war of words that boiled just below the surface, and occasionally spectacularly ignited, during the 2014 campaign.

Speaking later to Sky Sports F1, a bemused Hamilton retorted: “I’m not really quite sure how I compromised his race, he was 4.4 or 4.5 seconds behind, so he was never close. Therefore I was having no impact on his race whatsoever.

Hamilton wins China GP

1:44

“If he wanted to get closer and he was right up my tail and I was going the pace I was going then perhaps they could say something. But he wasn’t, I was on my own so if they wanted to pit him early or before me they could have done that as I had life in my tyres to keep going.”

After successfully maintaining his tyres as Mercedes ran the sort of stint lengths expected from Ferrari, Hamilton was able to increase his lead over Rosberg to almost five seconds — a burst that effectively wrapped up victory for the world champion.

“It wasn’t a problem as I was really happy with what I did with my team,” said Hamilton. “I was supposed to go to lap 11 or 12 and I went to 14 at the first and then eked out more in the second. So there should be no problems in the team as we got a one-two. I am actually really excited to see what the meeting will be like when we go back.”

Rosberg and Hamilton chatting on the podium.

Rosberg and Hamilton chatting on the podium. Source: AFP

Told of Hamilton’s remarks by Sky Sports’ Craig Slater, Rosberg refused to accept his team-mate’s explanation.

Asked if he felt that Hamilton had slowed him down, Rosberg declared: “I didn’t feel, it was a fact and my race was compromised. It was a scenario we went through in detail before the race — that for the individual in front to have the best possible race for himself was to back the guy in second into Sebastian Vettel.

“That was the best race for the guy in front, but not good for the team as it puts the guy in second into an unnecessary risky position. Did Lewis do it on purpose or not? I don’t know. He said in the press conference that he was just thinking about himself. That is an interesting indication, an interesting statement.

“That is it and I am frustrated as a result and my race was compromised. In the end, my final stint was too long because I had to cover Sebastian because he had to attack me with an early pit-stop and my tyres died at the end of the race.”

Rosberg and Hamilton in the press conference.

Rosberg and Hamilton in the press conference. Source: Getty Images

TRANSCRIPT: THE PRESS CONFERENCE SPAT IN FULL
Lewis Hamilton: “I wasn’t controlling his race, I was controlling my own race. A great race, though, I’m really happy. Definitely going into the race I thought it would be a lot closer. We knew that the Ferraris were very good with their long-run pace and also looking after their tyres, so today the real goal was to manage the tyres.

“As I said, my goal was to look after my own car. I had no real threat from Nico through the whole race.”

Nico Rosberg: “It’s interesting to hear from you Lewis that you were just thinking about yourself with the pace. Unnecessarily that was compromising my race, because driving slower than was maybe necessary at the beginning of stints meant that Sebastian was very close to me and that opened up the opportunity for Sebastian to try that early pit-stop, to try and jump me.

“I was unnecessarily close to Sebastian as a result and it cost me race time as a result.”

Asked to respond, Lewis Hamilton replied: “Not really. It’s not my job to look after Nico’s race. My job is to manage the car and bring the car home as fast as possible and that’s what I did. I didn’t do anything intentionally to slow any of cars up. If Nico wanted to get by he could have tried, but he didn’t.”