PDA

View Full Version : LS Focus battery light coming on.

prydey
24th August 2014, 09:14 AM
Hi guys, late yesterday my wife got home from the local shops, with her focus sounding like a bus (whirring/humming sound) and the battery light on, on the dash. popped the bonnet, smelled sort of an electrical type smell but nothing major. noise seemed to be coming from alternator area but hard to pin point.

this morning, i went out and put the multi meter on the battery. over 12v and jumps to 13-14v when i started the car, so alternator appears to be charging.

the car also seems to have 'fixed' itself overnight. the noise is gone, and the battery light isn't illuminated.

any ideas as to a possible cause. unfortunately i didn't get the multimeter out last night when it was doing it, but i can't see the battery still being at those levels this morning if it the alternator hadn't been charging on the trip home from the shop (about 2km)

could it be a seized bearing or something, that freed itself up overnight?

thanks in advance for any help.

Road_Warrior
24th August 2014, 09:26 AM
Could be...or a piece of crud that got stuck in the alternator and dislodged later.

Randel
24th August 2014, 10:58 AM
Might also only happen after it's been running for a while, getting hot and bits expanding with the heat? Maybe bearing starting to fail. I know my computer fans get noisy some days then quiet others...

Intermittent problems suck, but my guess would be alternator is on its way out - how many klm's on the car?

prydey
24th August 2014, 11:04 AM
car only has about 70000km. its hardly used. 2006 model.

bit of an update. went to go out this morning, got to the end of the street (50m) and it started again. drove straight back in to carport, popped the bonnet, and tested the voltage on battery. its down just below 12v, but holding. the noise appears to be coming from the tensioner looking setup above the alternator, although its hard to pinpoint. i wonder if a siezed bearing would put enough strain on the system to drop the voltage. i'm guessing the battery light just comes on once the car registers a voltage lower than a certain number??

have called the RAA. have to get my money's worth out of them somehow, although i think they are way in front. for some reason i keep renewing membership 'just in case'.

prydey
24th August 2014, 11:42 AM
RAA reckon alternator. d'oh, was hoping it was going to be something cheaper, but i think deep down i knew that was the case.

prydey
24th August 2014, 04:11 PM
priced a new one from Repco. over $700!! what a joke.

non genuine on ebay with 2yr warranty - $275ish + free postage.

genuine on ebay with free postage and 2yr/40000km warranty $399.

both from adelaide or australian based stores. how/why is there often such huge variations in prices??

4Vman
24th August 2014, 04:12 PM
priced a new one from Repco. over $700!! what a joke.

non genuine on ebay with 2yr warranty - $275ish + free postage.

genuine on ebay with free postage and 2yr/40000km warranty $399.

both from adelaide or australian based stores. how/why is there often such huge variations in prices??

Or... if you can go without a car take it to an auto elec and have it rebuilt.