PDA

View Full Version : Official 2015 Mustang Horsepower/Torque Figures Finally Released!

Falc'man
18th July 2014, 02:44 AM
The 2015 Mustang's official horsepower/torque figures have finally been released by Ford!

Power:

2.3L EcoBoost -- 310 HP / 320 LB-FT - 231kW / 434Nm
3.7L V6 -- 300 HP / 280 LB-FT - 224kW / 380Nm (down from 305 HP of S197)
5.0L V8 -- 435 HP / 400 LB-FT - 325kW / 542Nm (up from 420 HP / 390 LB-FT of S197)

Weight:

1602kg (manual Ecoboost)
1598kg (automatic Ecoboost)

1599kg (manual V6)
1601kg (automatic V6)

1680kg (manual GT)
1691kg (automatic GT)

Falc'man
18th July 2014, 03:18 AM
V6 300 hp, EcoBoost 310 hp, GT 435 hp.

Ford first showed us the 2015 Mustang in December, and we’ve been on a slow information drip ever since. Pricing and juicy new Track Apps have trickled out but weights, power numbers and torque figures have remained conspicuously absent… until now.

Here are the official numbers, straight from Ford, "pending certification." For this sixth generation, the base 3.7-liter V6 model’s power rating drops from 305 hp to 300 hp. Torque holds steady at 280 lb-ft. Compression ratio for the V6 is 10.5:1. The base V6 fastback with a manual weighs in at 3526 lbs, an increase of 30 lbs over the 2014 model. With an automatic, the curb weight is 3530 lbs, a 12-pound increase.

The GT, which uses a rowdier version of the outgoing 5.0-liter Coyote V8, now has 435 hp and 400 lb-ft of twist, up 15 hp and 10 lb-ft from its predecessor. The compression ratio is 11:1. Roll a base 2015 6MT Mustang GT fastback onto the scales and it'll show 3705 lbs. That's an 87-pound increase over the 2014. With the new automatic, the Mustang GT weighs 3729 pounds, a 54-lb increase.

In EcoBoost guise, the 2015 Mustang offers 310 hp and 320 lb-ft torque from its 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder on 93-octane gasoline. It's a twin-scroll turbo—the first ever used on a Ford. The compression ratio on the turbo 'Stang is 10.5:1. Whether all that will be enough to win over Pony purists is still to be determined.

And what does the EcoBoost weigh? In base trim with a stick, 3532 lbs. That's 36 lb more than a V6-equipped 2014 car. The EcoBoost automatic weighs 3524 lbs. That's a 6-lb increase vs a comparable 2014 V6 automatic.

The big discussion topic will doubtless be that the V6 has been dialed back, presumably to but more space between it and the step-up EcoBoost. As for the latter's 2.3 turbo, we have to believe there's plenty of upside left in that one, too.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/ford-announces-official-2015-mustang-horsepower-ratings-ecoboost-v6-gt?src=soc_fcbks

Falc'man
18th July 2014, 03:41 AM
I was a little off with my prediction (330kW and 540Nm). Impressed by the torque numbers although the mass takes a bit of shine off them.

The specific torque output (Nm/litre) is higher than any other production mainstream engine that I'm aware of. Even before this update the Coyote was already on top. Happy to be corrected. You will need to look at the exotics to find something more efficient, and even then there are only 4 or 5 engines that I can think of.

Ok, I'm bored already. My estimates for acceleration times.

For the Mustang GT:

My guess is 3.9s to 0-60mph (96kph), 12.4 for the quarter. That 3.9 is not optimistic, I know it is capable of doing it.
/These are my guesses for US or NZ tests. Add a full second to both those times when Australian motoring journalists drive them.

For the other two:

Whatever.

HSE2
18th July 2014, 05:29 AM
Under 4 seconds is impressive.

Bluestuff1
19th July 2014, 09:00 AM
300hp from a 4cyl ........it makes you want to buy one and put a v8 badge on it and say nothing .........maybe not.

jpd80
19th July 2014, 03:37 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/zkrdgdinqkjkymq8am6y.jpg

HSE2
19th July 2014, 09:56 PM
So and XR8 for those that are contemplating the Mustang v Xr8 performance equation, the XR8 should be 1830KG packing 335kws (380kws Peak power)

So at around 150kgs the Mustang at this level will be a very serious car in performance standards compared to what we are used to. Depends on Aust spec naturally but a pretty good starting point.

jpd80
20th July 2014, 08:51 AM
And then you have the international performance parts back up for Mustang, a supercharger, huge brakes, wider tyres, Suspension mods..

A whole new world opening up.

Bluestuff1
20th July 2014, 09:48 AM
Welcome to a global performance parts bin, the possiblities are endless ??

FTe217
22nd July 2014, 11:32 PM
Seriously this thing can throw a spanner in the works - as mentioned depending what is available from dealer end - but as also mentioned the parts bin is endless, ebay is your friend.

Bluestuff1
10th August 2014, 11:30 AM
Iv been looking thru various places on the inter web , about the new mustang heads this way .
A mention of a possible 400+. kW coming down .
I pose the question ,
How much power is too much , or is too much only just enough ?
Seriously tho , we are already getting to the point with the GTF were any extra power is siphoned off by electronic manipulations , to keep the car manageable on the road !
If we gave it 1000kw will it ever be usable , if not why would we want it , bragging rights ok , but drivability suffers considerably , hence the systems over ride etc etc etc
What ever we give it , the systems remove it for our own good !!

HSE2
10th August 2014, 12:38 PM
In our case it not exactly being removed for our own good but rather the sum of the parts around it aren't up to the job.

Mustang will be a better engineered package simply because its greater volume allows Ford to make it strong enough to cope. Its a purpose built sports car not a family sedan that's pushed up to and past its limits.

Over boost waiting till 4000rph is about driveline protection. Better drivelines means more usable power in performance applications.

The stability systems are generally good enough to look after the "us" equation

Bluestuff1
10th August 2014, 01:04 PM
In our case it not exactly being removed for our own good but rather the sum of the parts around it aren't up to the job.

Mustang will be a better engineered package simply because its greater volume allows Ford to make it strong enough to cope. Its a purpose built sports car not a family sedan that's pushed up to and past its limits.

Over boost waiting till 4000rph is about driveline protection. Better drivelines means more usable power in performance applications.

The stability systems are generally good enough to look after the "us" equation

Sure but the question remains , how much is enough , or too much ?
What can we do with a 1000 kW car ?..?

jpd80
16th August 2014, 02:36 AM
Sure but the question remains , how much is enough , or too much ?
What can we do with a 1000 kW car ?..?
When we had 185 Kw V8s, people were questioning the need for 250 Kw versions, each generation asks the same thing.
Now we're seeing Challengers and Chargers in the states with blown 6.4 hemis with low 11 second quarter mile off the showroom
These are muscle cars that only America can build and help put our own local performance cars into perspective as good road cars.

Dodge won't entertain the Hellcat engine in Viper because it's getting beyond the brakes and steering of the car, the fear is that
it would have turned the Viper into a a dangerous car well beyond the skills of the people who buy them.

Too many people get hung up about factory performance, it's enough power for most buyers
but hardcore modifiers know i's simply a starting point, insert cash here....

Falc'man
29th September 2014, 04:05 PM
Some of the Euro publications have quoted 420hp for their versions - detuned for their market for whatever reason. We could get the same.

MAD
30th September 2014, 09:58 AM
Now they just need to extend the chassis a little, add two more doors, change the skin a little and you've got.... oh wait... we've been there before.

Franco Cozzo
30th September 2014, 10:34 AM
If you wanted more power I can see these guys doing a kit:

http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/

They have the current Mustang pretty well covered in V6 and V8 form with complete turbo kits.

FTe217
30th September 2014, 11:17 AM
I bumped into a guy whilst at the servo the other day - I parked the tonka was heading in to get a caffiene blast but first I was checking over this black 335 parked near me.......
I could tell it wasn't the norm - had stickys on the back, coil over kit nicely lowered and the front dam had additional coolers I spotted.
He came up saying GDay, nice bloke loving his GT, said its detuned down to 480RWKW ! for it was just too much powa before, he would have to take off in 2nd or 3rd so as he didn't light up the back every single time LOL........
Small world the beast had been done by Spiro - this beast has had a full engine rebuild after watching it smoke up at the drags blowing 2 pistons from the previous build, the bloke is fine with this he knew he plays he pays (car only has 7,000clicks from memory, his toy) but as is discussed above how much powa do you really need for street use ?

Road_Warrior
30th September 2014, 11:28 AM
Well Ford have just been caught out by Jalopnik "faking" the engine and exhaust sound for the Ecoboost Mustang.

4Vman
30th September 2014, 11:30 AM
Thought it sounded like a rotary...! LOL

flappist
30th September 2014, 11:50 AM
I suspect that the ecoboost will be quicker than a B series XR6T. That will upset a few people....

Elks
30th September 2014, 12:48 PM
I bumped into a guy whilst at the servo the other day - I parked the tonka was heading in to get a caffiene blast but first I was checking over this black 335 parked near me.......
I could tell it wasn't the norm - had stickys on the back, coil over kit nicely lowered and the front dam had additional coolers I spotted.
He came up saying GDay, nice bloke loving his GT, said its detuned down to 480RWKW ! for it was just too much powa before, he would have to take off in 2nd or 3rd so as he didn't light up the back every single time LOL........
Small world the beast had been done by Spiro - this beast has had a full engine rebuild after watching it smoke up at the drags blowing 2 pistons from the previous build, the bloke is fine with this he knew he plays he pays (car only has 7,000clicks from memory, his toy) but as is discussed above how much powa do you really need for street use ?

CANFRY perhaps??

Road_Warrior
30th September 2014, 01:54 PM
So, about those V8 turbo Mustangs...

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/F3E7C2A44FC64C83CA257D620004BA27

Road_Warrior
30th September 2014, 01:55 PM
I suspect that the ecoboost will be quicker than a B series XR6T. That will upset a few people....

Well, less weight and only a few kw short of the XR6T's 240/245kw, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

FTe217
30th September 2014, 02:39 PM
CANFRY perhaps??

I don't think I have ever noticed CANFRY quote Autotech working on his tyre fryer ? I could be wrong but.....unless someone enlightens us.

Falc'man
30th September 2014, 02:56 PM
So, about those V8 turbo Mustangs...

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/F3E7C2A44FC64C83CA257D620004BA27I see this as good news because it means the V8 will remain and a Mustang GT will not be using an Ecoboost V6, although the latter will blow the doors off the V8.

Perhaps that was the context: will GT require a TTV8 to remain compliant? No, atmo V8 will be fine.

I still won't rule TT out because although they don't need it for emissions for GT they do need it for top end performance in products like the Shelby GT500. Unless they've walked away from that as well.

All in all I'm pleased the V8 will remain because there were concerns GT will inherit the Ecoboost.

This engine doesn't have direct injection so he must be talking about future spec - as far as I know this is the first official confirmation of direct injection in Coyote.