PDA

View Full Version : Commence burnouts: 2015 Mustang GT gets standard line lock

Elks
20th April 2014, 12:53 PM
It shows such difference in attitudes. Aus vs USA. No doubt Vic police will be towing away all 2015 Mustang GT's just on principle. :highly_amused::highly_amused:

As if the Ford Mustang GT wasn't enough of a tire-shredding menace already, Dave Pericak, the car's chief engineer, has announced in Charlotte that the all-new 2015 edition gets electronic line lock as standard equipment. It'll be part of the Track Apps suite, which already includes features like launch control, an acceleration timer, and an accelerometer.

FIRST LOOK: 2015 Ford Mustang GT 50 Year Limited Edition

The line lock feature will let weekend warriors properly warm up the rears at the dragstrip without having to install a mechanical line lock, then flip over to launch control and, you know, dust the Camaro in the adjacent lane. We can only imagine the battles between engineering and legal in getting this through to the final product, so kudos to Pericak and company for winning out.

But there's still more food for thought.

While the current 2014 Mustang owner's manual clearly states that all Track Apps features are "for off-road use only", line lock adds a new wrinkle. This is a textbook racing feature, and the 2014 Ford Warranty Guide is unequivocal about what happens if you race your car:

Page 6: "These implied warranties do not apply at all if you use your vehicle for business or commercial purposes. In addition, the implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose does not apply if your vehicle is used for racing, even if the vehicle is equipped for racing."

Page 12: "WHAT IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY? ...misuse of the vehicle, such a driving over curbs, overloading, racing or using the vehicle as a permanent stationary power source"

MUSTANG 50th: We watched Ford build a 2015 Mustang atop the Empire State Building

So here's the question: if you use the line lock and bring a 2015 GT in for warranty service, can a tech scan to check for its usage and then deny coverage? It's one of those gray areas that could either be a non-issue or, in the worst case, a GT-R style debacle for owners.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/future-cars/2015-ford-mustang-GT-gets-standard-electronic-line-lock-as-part-of-track-apps?src=spr_FBPAGE&spr_id=1459_53909245

Elks
20th April 2014, 05:03 PM
The video

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152323266396001

4Vman
20th April 2014, 05:34 PM
Bet it gets disabled for us....

defective
20th April 2014, 05:36 PM
Bet it gets disabled for us....

110%

Lynton
21st April 2014, 10:17 AM
Ford can scan the ECU and see if the vehicle has hit redline, you bet they will know if line lock has been engaged.

Just wait until Harold Scrubby learns of this one.

Perko
21st April 2014, 12:29 PM
But it is no different to the new BMW M3 has this feature as well. I think it is great that these companies have allowed this. With traction control not being able to be fully disengaged with many models this is a great return to having fun in a car and letting that inner hoon out. If they can look at your ECU then good luck. They can't see where you did it and I know that none of us here would be doing it on public roads...;)

defective
21st April 2014, 03:03 PM
But it is no different to the new BMW M3 has this feature as well. I think it is great that these companies have allowed this. With traction control not being able to be fully disengaged with many models this is a great return to having fun in a car and letting that inner hoon out. If they can look at your ECU then good luck. They can't see where you did it and I know that none of us here would be doing it on public roads...;)

No but I bet using it will also void the warranty in certain cases too... Same as the Nissan gtr's launch control, too brutal on the drivetrain so it became an excuse to void warranties.
All written in fine print when purchased of course....

jpd80
21st April 2014, 03:59 PM
Remember, the line Lock function is part of the track pack and is unlocked by a special key
I'd expect that there will be a dozen conditions and rider clauses and warranty voiding actions attached to its use....

Paxton
21st April 2014, 06:46 PM
Ford can scan the ECU and see if the vehicle has hit redline, you bet they will know if line lock has been engaged.

Just wait until Harold Scrubby learns of this one.

Fuck Harold Scruby. He was on the news here in Sydney last week championing the new Speed/Red Light (a.k.a "Safety Cameras") that are being installed in Sydney. Owning a car isn't all about watching the speedo to make sure that you aren't exceeding the speed limit by 10 km/hr. If I want to have some fun with my car, by using a line locker, and a LSD (and cheap Chinese rear tyres), then I should be allowed to, on a private race track. If you do it in a public street (deserted factory area or not), then I'm all for drivers being charged for dangerous driving. I might have to buy a new car to throw a burnout today though.

(Paxton's car is not able to perform a proper burnout. It is a heathen bum dragging Mexican built hitlermobile)

Lynton
21st April 2014, 07:00 PM
(Paxton's car is not able to perform a proper burnout. It is a heathen bum dragging Mexican built hitlermobile)

You have a line locker on the hitlermobile, its called a handbrake. :race:

Paxton
21st April 2014, 07:30 PM
You have a line locker on the hitlermobile, its called a handbrake. :race:

Oh yeah, that's right...

Falc'man
22nd April 2014, 12:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3nbwCjZKk8#t=16

Falc'man
22nd April 2014, 12:53 PM
"Professional driver on closed course. Racing your vehicle will void warranty"

This is good news because I'd only use this feature to show off and not race.

Lynton
22nd April 2014, 01:28 PM
"Professional driver on closed course. Racing your vehicle will void warranty"

This is good news because I'd only use this feature to show off and not race.

Yeah honestly, I was not racing. I was showing off in unison with another car!

I love the part where they say "we had a lot of fun developing this feature", I bet they did.

Falc'man
29th September 2014, 04:50 PM
http://www.stangtv.com/features/car-features/driving-2015-mustang-things-want-know/
The line lock function will be available 5.0 Mustangs only and most exports, though some countries like Australia that donít allow vehicles to be equipped with such options will not be receiving them on their Mustangs.

Perko
29th September 2014, 05:03 PM
Wonder if it is just a programming thing that you can enable post purchase?

Falc'man
29th September 2014, 06:02 PM
Don't know I think there would be hardware involved. If that hardware remains but disabled in the software then yes.

4Vman
29th September 2014, 06:04 PM
Wonder if it is just a programming thing that you can enable post purchase?
Honestly, who's going to use it??!!

HSE2
29th September 2014, 06:05 PM
And to think Bogans have been doing this for 50 plus years without assistance.

4Vman
29th September 2014, 06:13 PM

LOL, well yeah... I rank it up there with park assist, F^&king pointless.

Road_Warrior
29th September 2014, 06:52 PM

LOL yes. Speaks volumes of the driving ability of some people if they can't manage a skid without line lockers!! I wonder if their "market research" directed them to include this silly feature?

4Vman
29th September 2014, 06:56 PM
LOL yes. Speaks volumes of the driving ability of some people if they can't manage a skid without line lockers!! I wonder if their "market research" directed them to include this silly feature?

The feature i'm assuming is aimed at the "weekend racer", in the States drag racing is far more popular and there are strips everywhere.

Completely different situation in Australia though.

Perko
29th September 2014, 07:16 PM
Honestly, who's going to use it??!!

Then you can say "Officer, I swear I was just trying to activate park assist."

4Vman
29th September 2014, 07:19 PM
Then you can say "Officer, I swear I was just trying to activate park assist."

Given the alarming increase in the number of people who seem to confuse the accelerator with the brake and end up in the side of a house or shop recently this isn't out of the question by any means.....