PDA

View Full Version : My New FG II EcoLPI Ute

jpd80
24th August 2013, 06:14 PM
Hey guys,

Just a few photos of my new FGII EcoLPI Ute, complete with Column Auto and bench seat.

Initial impressions are good, it's been years since I've driven a column auto but no biggie,
the EcoLPI engine is interesting, when I unlock the car, i can hear the pump cut in and
when you turn the key to start, there like a one second delay before she cranks into life.

Man this thing has some shove off the mark, it feels like a V8.. so yeah, I'm very pleased.:)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii192/jpd80/1_zpsf9b79bc2.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii192/jpd80/2_zps24673ca8.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii192/jpd80/3_zpsde7c5095.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii192/jpd80/4_zps35e066c2.jpg

Falc'man
24th August 2013, 07:16 PM
Very good. I'd say once it's run in it'll embarrass many eights.

WASP
24th August 2013, 09:13 PM
I drove EcoLPI G6E a while back they are very rapid indeed. I've been surprised that they haven't sold more of them. Cheap to run and about as fast as many stock n/a v8's. Well done on the Ute.

jpd80
25th August 2013, 12:48 AM
Thanks guys, it only has about 60 km on the clock and I haven't taken it far this weekend
as I'm waiting for the fuel card and E-tag to arrive sometime late next week.

I haven't taken it above 3,000 yet but a couple of modest launches in traffic tells me
this isn't a conventional I-6, it feels like a chipped and modded petrol I-6,

This next week, I have some trips planned back across Brisbane so hopefully
some good mixed running will see everything bed in nicely.

Oh, the reason I chose a column shift?

My very first Falcon was a 1975 XB Futura with column shift 302 auto,
so it's a small tribute to the memory of a car that set me on the Falcon path....

Falc'man
25th August 2013, 12:56 AM
Rev or, John, give it heaps. Just make sure it's nice and warm.

Falc'man
25th August 2013, 12:58 AM
Column shift is cool. I'd get a nice wooden grip for it.

By the way, how do you find that steering wheel? Shocking or what?

XRGhia
25th August 2013, 02:30 AM
I'm more curious as to how it feels driving a column shift ZF! Haha.

jpd80
25th August 2013, 09:42 AM
I'm more curious as to how it feels driving a column shift ZF! Haha.
Shifting gears in the car parks is a hoot, your left hand is always near the shifter.
The trade off is no adjustable steering column and a bench seat with no height adjust
but as I said before, this is a trip down memory lane for me and even though it's not
my old XB Futura, there's a lot of familiarity mixed in with a lot of new and good.

I just came back from a short run to the shops, ZF off the mark is amazing, give th throttle a shove
and she sits around 3,500 and it picks gears so smoothly, it's like a CVT, holds the proper gear going
moderate inclines....it's much more intuitive than the 5R55 gearbox in my former R6 Ute.

I drove a Holden Ute auto last week too, the 6-speed in it was smooth but to the point of
sometimes getting lost with knowing what the driver wanted to do and then it compensated.

But this ZF gearbox is the goods, it's everything you would want an automatic to be..:)

Road_Warrior
25th August 2013, 10:38 AM
She's a beaut John! I lol'ed at the 6 speed column auto bit, that's such an Aussie thing to put in a car.

jpd80
25th August 2013, 11:55 AM
She's a beaut John! I lol'ed at the 6 speed column auto bit, that's such an Aussie thing to put in a car.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, it's definitely not an XR6 and I never meant it to be that anyway.
Everytime I drive it I get flash backs to 30 odd years ago and all because of that column shift...

I know this Ute probably wouldn't be the choice of many people viewing this thread,
I chose it because it is different to the way 99% of Falcons are ordered with floor shifts.

Elks
25th August 2013, 05:49 PM
You will have to keep us updated with how this pans out. I have some ideas on the back of an envelope that include and LPi ute. Although I was considering an XR. I'd order it with a column shift if i could. the 3rd "emergency" seat can be handy.

Its way to late to worry about now, but Instead of a column shift it actually should be a push button on the dash or a small wand Benz style, with flappy paddles.

FTe217
25th August 2013, 08:16 PM
Congrats mate - the good ol column shift sure bringsback memories, I know I couldn't do it as you say its a "tribute" but I just couldn't go back to 3on the tree from my first beast LOL.......
I wonder how many stick shifts are actually ordered.

jpd80
25th August 2013, 08:31 PM
Congrats mate - the good ol column shift sure bringsback memories, I know I couldn't do it as you say its a "tribute" but I just couldn't go back to 3on the tree from my first beast LOL.......
I wonder how many stick shifts are actually ordered.

I couldn't bare 3 on the tree either, this one is a ZF auto...:)

Mine was the only column auto available at the time that could be supplied,
any others would have to be made to order and the plant is entering down days..

VZTRT
26th August 2013, 08:33 AM
I couldn't bare 3 on the tree either, this one is a ZF auto...:)

Mine was the only column auto available at the time that could be supplied,
any others would have to be made to order and the plant is entering down days..

Seeing as they only make 1-2 a day they are going to be rare at dealers......I'm lead to believe a couple went out without A/C.

jpd80
26th August 2013, 04:37 PM
Interesting drive today across Brisbane without an E-tag so had to avoid the toll ways from out near Ipswich
over to the other side of town at Hemmant with a mix of some 100 kph and lots of 60 Kph and a zillion red lights.

Short story, the old FG R5 Ute with 5- speed used to do similar running at around 12 l/100km,
the EcoLPI Ute did a very similar route today at bout 15.2 l/100 - about 30% more gas than petrol.

So at $1.40/ litre versus 70 cents a litre for gas, I think the EcoLPI is in front by about $6.00/100 km,
that doesn't seem much if you do 20,000 km a year but look at the savings to 100,000 km and its $6,000 in fuel.

Falc'man
26th August 2013, 04:46 PM
You should also factor in the tight engine. It should drop from that.

defective
26th August 2013, 05:26 PM
Lol I drive to rocklea from Norman park every day for work, hence why my fairlane is averaging 16l per 100... Those zillion traffic lights plus heavy barge plus V8 means I won't be setting any efficiency records anytime soon.

Fingers crossed my fh comes with ecolpi....

jpd80
27th August 2013, 04:57 PM
Well todya I was given an E tag and was able to drive around in the 100 kph roads to and from destinations,
basically doubled yesterday's stop-go mileage and without resetting the average economy, I saw it improve
from yesterday's 15.2 l/100 km down to 12.5 l/100 km. So by my estimations, she was getting around
9 to 10 l/100 km at steady highway running, with only 355 km on the clock.

The EcoLPI can be a Jekyll and Hyde engine, use the top quarter of the pedal and from rest, it glides away
and up to speed so smoothly you can barely pick the shifts... but shove deeper into the throttle and that
strong torque is there ready to scoot away from the lights....

Livin' the dream boys.....:)

WASP
27th August 2013, 09:32 PM
They are actually the most responsive off the line of all the Ford/FPV inline 6's, including the turbos. Obviously once the rpm rises past 2000 the turbos take over but the injected LPG engine is an absolute n/a cracker of a 6.

HSE2
28th August 2013, 12:24 PM
Well done John

jpd80
28th August 2013, 05:27 PM
Well done John
Thanks Ian.

I thought I'd follow your lead and support the local men and women who make vehicles we all like,
I've also convinced our fleet manageer to order four LPG Falcons and skip the Hiluxes he was planning on buying

Fully maintained lease, the EcoLPI is around $650/mth compared to around $1,000/mth for Hilux 4WD

Can't believe the shove this thing has off the mark, reallly leans into the converter in the first 20 metres or so,
I know the Turbos and V8s have more there but the EcoLPI is really impressive.

jpd80
1st September 2013, 09:13 PM
Wow, first week in and I've done over 950 km and gone through two tanks of fuel,
I have two bills that total $100 and at 79.9 cents a litre that's around 125 litres of gas.

The combined average at the moment is approximately 12.8 l/100 km which is marginally
better than the quoted combined average for an EcoLPI Ute (13.8 l/100 km).

A fellow work colleague has a petrol version of the FGII, acquired just before mine but he
chickened out at the last moment on LPG and went for petrol, combined economy is 12 l/100 km.

i can tell you guys, the EcoLPI Ute is raising eyebrows with the brass, the fuel costs per 100 km
is the same as a little diesel VW Caddy Van getting around 7 to 8 l/100 km..

Elks
2nd September 2013, 10:11 PM
Wow, first week in and I've done over 950 km and gone through two tanks of fuel,
I have two bills that total $100 ...........

The ford website note the LPi should take $96 per 1,000 km. so to far off for a new engine. You gotta be happy with that.

jpd80
3rd September 2013, 12:44 PM
The ford website note the LPi should take $96 per 1,000 km. so to far off for a new engine. You gotta be happy with that.
Yeah, I sure am and I'm using it to convince my employer that LPG is as cost effective as a diesel Ute
especially when you take the combined l/100 km and multiply it by the cost of the fuel per litre.

Brought home a load of cinder block retaining wall bricks yesterday afternoon and boy, didn't
that changed the handling. The standard tyres were working at 100 kph and although stable,
I could feel the load in the back, probably well over 600 Kg.

What was impressive was how the engine and gearbox responded, that engine has so
much torque, I love it and the gearbox knew exactly which gear I wanted/needed with
the load on board.

My views towards an EcoLPI XR6 sedan have changed for the better, one of
those with basic mods to induction and exhaust might be just the ticket for me.

VZTRT
3rd September 2013, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I sure am and I'm using it to convince my employer that LPG is as cost effective as a diesel Ute
especially when you take the combined l/100 km and multiply it by the cost of the fuel per litre.

Brought home a load of cinder block retaining wall bricks yesterday afternoon and boy, didn't
that changed the handling. The standard tyres were working at 100 kph and although stable,

What was impressive was how the engine and gearbox responded, that engine has so
much torque, I love it and the gearbox knew exactly which gear I wanted/needed with
the load on board.

They would have calibrated the auto using a one ton block in the back (probably higher) so you would see how well they go. I always found the non XR utes felt great to drive with some weight in the back .

FTe217
3rd September 2013, 02:19 PM

the load on board.

Just some useless comparo info re fuel figures considering your Ute and my recent HiLux 4x4 oil burner.
Yesterday I checked the DTE/L/100 and having been driving round sydney morning arvo traffic since last Thursday etc I was impressed with 8.3L/100 on avg.