PDA

View Full Version : Kimi to replace Webber at Red Bull?

Falc'man
3rd April 2013, 10:44 AM
Kimi Raikkonen has emerged as a shock candidate to replace Mark Webber at Red Bull next season, should the Australian decide to leave the team.

Red Bull owner, Dietrich Mateschitz, has told the media Raikkonen is a serious option for the reigning champion outfit.

“Kimi is cool and fast and always a candidate,” he told SpeedWeek.com.

Raikkonen’s current deal with Lotus expires at the end of 2013, leaving the 2007 world champion free to drive alongside Sebastian Vettel.

The pair are reportedly good friends, making Raikkonen an attractive option given the current hostilities between Webber and Vettel.

Webber is understood to be considering his future in Formula 1 after Vettel ignored team orders to pass him and win last week’s Malaysian Grand Prix.

Mateschitz clarified Webber would remain an option, should he wish to stay on.

Raikkonen has existing contacts with Red Bull, having driven for the energy drink company during his World Rally Championship campaign.

http://motoring.ninemsn.com.au/cars/news/8635937/red-bull-boss-raikkonen-could-replace-webber

FTe217
3rd April 2013, 11:40 AM
Mmmm, as much as I wouldn't like Kimi there it would be an absolute pleasure seeing him giving Pettel the right royal competition he doesn't get from MW every single race.
MW had set his path for next season - they will replace him full stop imo.

FPV GTHO
3rd April 2013, 03:02 PM
If Red Bull make a serious play for Kimi, it could be a strong sign theyre prepared to lose Vettel to Ferrari.

FTe217
4th April 2013, 08:21 AM
Maybe - but I'm sure pettel being on a good wicket wouldn't see the need and maybe enjoy the fresh challenge by a possible and formidible Kimi.
It would be a probable new super pairing as per Hamilton/Button of the modern era.

HSE2
4th April 2013, 09:04 AM
If true this is about vettel not webber. You dont pay for two number ones anymore. You only need to come one two because as we have seen one one doesn't work. Those two wont be friends for long if teamed together. If the lotus car is as good as they say, kimi is in a good position. Hamilton button how well did that really work? Not good enough is my tip if investment requires a return.

TS50
4th April 2013, 10:18 AM
But next years car is a whole new kettle of fish
New engines, new cars, who knows who will come out on top of that, it could very well end Red Bulls dominance

FTe217
4th April 2013, 10:38 AM
Ian Mr Red Bull loves success from his paid sportsmen, sure pettel has paid him back but he's the type that expects his current no2 webber to be finishing no2 in the championship as well ala previous voda/888 now RB/888. Stoner is another paid winner as a few others he has put his $$$ behind the last years.
MW is the weak link and his comments recently of saying he may have to reaccess his seat has opened the door me think.
My comment re hamilton/button was just that - ofcourse it was a failure compared to the only real one one pairings of the past, Prost/Senna Piquet/Mansell, the modern day pairing I mentioned have nothing on these 4 legends.
Kimi is in a good position full stop, showed it last year.