PDA

View Full Version : End of the road.

Falc'man
27th January 2013, 08:44 PM
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/end-of-the-road-20130125-2dagb.html

Archilino
27th January 2013, 08:57 PM
Why are they continuing to write obituaries for a product that has at minimum years left in them? I'm sure those on the production line just love reading these types of articles constantly...

jpd80
27th January 2013, 09:10 PM
The journalists keep writing obituary posts in the hope that one day they will be right.
No one has the guts to say that Falcon and Commodore could life extend beyond 2016 with minimal investment.

Road_Warrior
27th January 2013, 09:15 PM
For fuck's sake.

project 064
28th January 2013, 08:28 AM
I noticed the "motoring journalist" is freelance, in other words he must create some sensational headlines for himself, to keep the money trickling in. The J Dowling adage " never let the truth get in the way of a good story":eek:

tex
28th January 2013, 05:52 PM
Seems like a considered article if you ask me.

Morley has been around for a long time, knows the industry well, has seen many cars come and go. I can't say that I fundimentally disagree with anything that he's mused (and that's all it is - him thinking outloud)

"my precious" Australian cars, specifically Ford Falcons are indeed the right car for a different time. Regardless of whatever some FA spin doctors say, publically or behind closed doors to a special audience - about the 'targeted and strategic' marketing campaign, if one could call it a campaign(?!) and when the Falcon no longer exists, many, probably most people will be left with the overriding impression that it (Falcon) was let wither away slowly and die. Quitely.

I can hear it now.

"At least Holden tried......."

What will the Ford fan say?

"But, , on Utoob and Facewad you could see many Falcon marketing tools, they targeted genuine buyers you know......" (genuine buyers trall Youtube and Facebook pages apparently)

Um, ok, if you say so.

If all these journos writing such things are so far off the mark, I suggest that the car manufacturers start countering the negativity with some of their own positive spin. Publically. Not to a closed focus friggin group or to a handful of important people.

Lets hear all about the bright future of the Australian car and the incorectness 'reported' by journos. Lets hear all about how the economies of scale, the sales volumes can keep a production line ticking over, let alone sustain ongoing model evolution and R&D. OR, Tell us how the market will be educated and there'll be a shift back to Falc-a-dores as multi segment filling model and a return to high unit sales results.

Airmon
28th January 2013, 06:41 PM
Surprised it took this long for Morley to sink his boot in. Nothing new really. Pretty sure he wrote an article a couple of years back praising the Auto-industry and crapped on about how it was the Media's fault the Magna/380 failed.

Oh well, sink the boot in now, and jump on your high horse later, we keep on reading it don't we?

FTe217
28th January 2013, 09:20 PM
Seems like a considered article if you ask me.

Morley has been around for a long time, knows the industry well, has seen many cars come and go. I can't say that I fundimentally disagree with anything that he's mused (and that's all it is - him thinking outloud)

"my precious" Australian cars, specifically Ford Falcons are indeed the right car for a different time. Regardless of whatever some FA spin doctors say, publically or behind closed doors to a special audience - about the 'targeted and strategic' marketing campaign, if one could call it a campaign(?!) and when the Falcon no longer exists, many, probably most people will be left with the overriding impression that it (Falcon) was let wither away slowly and die. Quitely.

I can hear it now.

"At least Holden tried......."

What will the Ford fan say?

"But, , on Utoob and Facewad you could see many Falcon marketing tools, they targeted genuine buyers you know......" (genuine buyers trall Youtube and Facebook pages apparently)

Um, ok, if you say so.

If all these journos writing such things are so far off the mark, I suggest that the car manufacturers start countering the negativity with some of their own positive spin. Publically. Not to a closed focus friggin group or to a handful of important people.

Lets hear all about the bright future of the Australian car and the incorectness 'reported' by journos. Lets hear all about how the economies of scale, the sales volumes can keep a production line ticking over, let alone sustain ongoing model evolution and R&D. OR, Tell us how the market will be educated and there'll be a shift back to Falc-a-dores as multi segment filling model and a return to high unit sales results.

Where's the like button when its needed :) well said Tex !

TICK4D-TAS
28th January 2013, 10:33 PM
Interesting read. Can't believe some of the comments. How could you say 'good rittance to both of them' obviously their job is safe and they don't need to worry about work.

Falc'man
29th January 2013, 05:35 PM
Interesting read. Can't believe some of the comments. How could you say 'good rittance to both of them' obviously their job is safe and they don't need to worry about work.
Mob mentality; careless and lacking any regard for facts. Dumbed down by the media's consistent barrage of scaremongering and misleading antics.

jpd80
29th January 2013, 07:48 PM
In some ways, I'll be glad when VF arrives, at least all the focus will be on
Holden and whether they will survive...big expectations there
Ford not so much....maybe that works in Ford's favor..

FTe217
30th January 2013, 08:39 AM
I'm getting quite sick of it all tbh, its like the calm before the storm.

Falc'man
5th February 2013, 11:06 PM
http://wot.motortrend.com/end-of-road-for-holden-commodore-ford-falcon-by-2016-324083.html#axzz2Jmr8eVIU

HSE2
6th February 2013, 03:41 AM
Some interesting comments after the article. Article itself not so.

Thats a joshua rewrite, where gms stance being clarified means draging up Ford position with nothing new to contibute. Same inaccurate claims spun again.

Elks
6th February 2013, 01:24 PM
Ok GM has an issue. Lets write about that and the closure of Ford. Imports are up lets write about that and the closure of Ford. Ford engineering expands lets write about that and the closure of Ford. It's a sunny day. Lets write about that and the closure of Ford.

Lets add some facts. Jan 2012 vs Jan 2013

Territory sales are up 44%
Falcon down 16.4%
Commodore down 23.7%
Camry down to just 557 vehicles 2/3 of Falcon. Barely gets a mention.

Overall local sales down 28% over 2012. But significantly Ford have demand for and a revamped production systems to increase the output of Territory to meet that demand. Which is a real positive.

On the import front Ford is doing well. But let's ignore that too.

Focus up 50%
Fiesta up 43%
Ranger up 208%.

Airmon
6th February 2013, 02:04 PM
Credibility of the Journalist kind of drops off when he doesn't know the difference between Port Elizabeth (South Africa) and Elizabeth (South Australia).

project 064
6th February 2013, 02:43 PM
Credibility of the Journalist kind of drops off when he doesn't know the difference between Port Elizabeth (South Africa) and Elizabeth (South Australia).

LMFAO, can you tweet this to Josh? Freelance journo or Free range journo!!! Well done Airmon, now where is the like button!!!

Road_Warrior
6th February 2013, 02:53 PM
Well, it is a Yank article so I wouldn't expect the author to be completely au fait with geography outside of the US. Ask them where Afghanistan is and they will probably say it is in Canada.

jpd80
6th February 2013, 05:11 PM
Ok GM has an issue. Lets write about that and the closure of Ford. Imports are up lets write about that and the closure of Ford. Ford engineering expands lets write about that and the closure of Ford. It's a sunny day. Lets write about that and the closure of Ford.

Lets add some facts. Jan 2012 vs Jan 2013

Territory sales are up 44%
Falcon down 16.4%
Commodore down 23.7%
Camry down to just 557 vehicles 2/3 of Falcon. Barely gets a mention.

Overall local sales down 28% over 2012. But significantly Ford have demand for and a revamped production systems to increase the output of Territory to meet that demand. Which is a real positive.

On the import front Ford is doing well. But let's ignore that too.

Focus up 50%
Fiesta up 43%
Ranger up 208%.
Hmm, it seems like when Ford has a good month but Falcon not so much, the press but the worst possible light on it.
I would love to see an Ecoboost Territory RWD, I think that would claw some sales away at the Asian SUV brands
and give Ford something to sell in Thailand that gets past their punitive capacity taxes..

defective
6th February 2013, 05:17 PM
Ecoboost still wouldn't allow the terri to compete at the price point necessary to compete with the cheaper imports.

Paxton
6th February 2013, 05:19 PM
Hmm, it seems like when Ford has a good month but Falcon not so much, the press but the worst possible light on it.
I would love to see an Ecoboost Territory RWD, I think that would claw some sales away at the Asian SUV brands
and give Ford something to sell in Thailand that gets past their punitive capacity taxes..

Falcon's woes were more because December and January had so many down days that stock was as rare as hens teeth. February is a return to 5 day production and the new product mix. I think Falcon will pop back to over 1000 a month from here on in.

Territory is going to have to carry Broadmeadows for a while - this is not a bad thing. If Uncle Bob could maybe see that building Fusion in Australia is a good idea, then Fusion sales for the Pacific Rim might help fill out Broadmeadows properly.

VZTRT
6th February 2013, 09:33 PM
Falcon's woes were more because December and January had so many down days that stock was as rare as hens teeth. February is a return to 5 day production and the new product mix. I think Falcon will pop back to over 1000 a month from here on in.

It wasn't down days but normal scheduled shutdown were maintenance is conducted...funny enough they finished up later then usual. But there is an actual down day coming up on Monday.

jpd80
9th February 2013, 11:42 AM

Territory is going to have to carry Broadmeadows for a while - this is not a bad thing. If Uncle Bob could maybe see that building Fusion in Australia is a good idea, then Fusion sales for the Pacific Rim might help fill out Broadmeadows properly.
10-4 Andrew,
I have a feeling that certain forces continue to put the worst spin on Falcon and Territory sales
but if Ford is selling all they now produce then that is mission accomplished....